Carrier landings with a twin fuselage aircraft

qn30jEkPz7

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Hurricat launch might have been OK, but recovery...?  

I thought it was obvious, but I was assuming the same method as for the CAM ship Hurricanes. It would actually be safer for the pilot than trying to land on. Just eject and land in the sea half a mile ahead so the guard chopped can come and get you. At least that way you won't die in a fireball on the fantail or get run over by the ship when you rip out the #3 wire and fall off the pointy end

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Hurricat launch might have been OK, but recovery...?  

I thought it was obvious, but I was assuming the same method as for the CAM ship Hurricanes. It would actually be safer for the pilot than trying to land on. Just eject and land in the sea half a mile ahead so the guard chopped can come and get you. At least that way you won't die in a fireball on the fantail or get run over by the ship when you rip out the #3 wire and fall off the pointy end

• Haha 1

Well yes, I get that (even before it was written twice)... but since the thread is about carrier landings (the clue’s in the title), launching aircraft that you chuck away after a single sortie feels a bit... well, desperate.  

I flew as a Naval pilot for 19 years.  I’ll exercise restraint and use the word “nonsense” in place of the one that came into my head.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1