The First and The Last

Basilisk

Hurricane and Bf 109G-6 in Finnish service that is.

Originally I wanted to build a J-21 and J-22 in 1/48, but as this GB ended running parallel with the Stuka STGB this wasn't longer an option so I chosen some easy to build kits - the Arma Hobby Hurricane and the Tamiya Bf 109G-6 instead, but also because these two types are not yet represented in this GB.

This is the First:

The Hurricanes where flown to Finland in February 1940 flying via Scotland and Sweden, having the Finnish markings white overpainted and with a civil registration. There are different opinions if the Hurricane had civil registration applied or not so I came to my own conclusion.

First there is this picture of Hurricane HU460 shortly after its arrival in Finland, photographed in March 1940.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Specially the first picture looks like it has a removed or overpainted civil registration OH-IPL.

But then there is this picture showing HU452 on its way to Finland at a stop in Scotland.

spacer.png

It has the overpainted markings but no civil registration.

On the other hand, this Blenheim has the civil registration in place, also flown to Finland in February 1940.

spacer.png

Now this could mean that the picture of HU452 was taken before the registration was applied, most likely only needed for the landing in Sweden or it was applied only on the port side of the aircraft as it was just for one flight.

So I will paint my build like this.

spacer.png

And only on the port side until someone has some evidence that it was on the starboard side as well.

And as earlier mentioned, I will use the Arma Hobby kit with a few add-ons.

spacer.png

I will also use some 5-spoke wheels which I have in the stash.

And the Last:

Actually not the very last as the Bf-109G-6 had its last flight in Finland in 1954 which is remarkable as the build quality of German aircraft later in the war was very poor as the expectation was they don't last very long!

My chosen subject is Bf 109G-6 MT-505 of PLeLv 41 belonging to Lentorykmentti 4 with special "War Games" marking applied in August 1950.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It does has a bit of a different look in the olive-green colours.

spacer.png

And as mentioned, the kit I use is the new Tamiya offering.

spacer.png

This will need a bit of kit bashing and I intend to utilize some AZ Model 109 parts for the sand filter (which had been fitted to all the Finnish 109s), Canopy and tall rudder.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I did 505 last year. Don't forget the Venturi mounted on the port side. Its just forward below the cockpit and the gun hump. You can just see it in the 2nd photo, its just behind the crewman facing the rear of the plane. 

Dennis

Yes I remember your build Dennis, came out very nice. Thanks to point out the Venturi which I didn't notice. But aren't the gun humps on the wing the standard one on the G-6?

Kind of going full circle, the early Hurricanes had a Venturi fitted which got removed soon and now this 1950 109G-6 has them fitted at the end of its life!

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Tasty pair! :popcorn:! V-P

I think so too!

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

Great choices 

Thanks for the background info on aircraft being flown to Finland via Scotland and Sweden, can i ask a daft question  ?

Did the pilots stay and operate the aircraft or return to the UK and if they came back, how ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choices 

Thanks for the background info on aircraft being flown to Finland via Scotland and Sweden, can i ask a daft question  ?

Did the pilots stay and operate the aircraft or return to the UK and if they came back, how ?

cheers Pat 

Pat, the pilots were of course Finnish 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edited and deleted due to superior information in Basilisks reply, thanks :thumbsup:

Re-edit!

Ferry pilots travelled from Turku via Stockholm and the Netherlands to St. Athan in Wales. The journey took from January 29 to February 5, 1940. Ferry pilots got a short instruction to Hurricanes, as per the sales agreement. To-be-Finnish Hurricanes arrived there in three batches, between February 21 to 27. The ferry flight was planned to do in two six plane formations. The first half a dozen flew via Wick, Stavanger ja Oslo to Västerås February 25 to 29. The second half departed on the 29. In Wick one of the plane was slightly damaged in landing, the starboard landing gear gave in. Five planes continued forward on March 2, and the damaged plane and its pilot were left behind in Wick. One of the remaining five planes crashed in the island of Egerö near Stavanger. Bad weather delayed the flight to Västerås, which was only reached on March 6. Nine planes were flown to Finland on March 7 1940 and one on 10. The plane in Wick was repaired but remained there until end of July, when it was given back to the RAF. The ferry pilot stuck in Wick was returned to Finland via Italy and Germany - in May!

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks V-P, now just to find out where they flew to in Scotland 👍

cheers Pat 

Pat, the follwing text is from Kari Stenman's book "Hurricane & Gladiators":

On 30 January 1940 a command led by 1Lt Räty departed Finland arriving at St. Athens in Wales on 5 February. After a short training period at St Athan, Räry took of with six aircraft on 25 February while a Blenheim acted as navigator. The route was Edinburgh - Wick - Stavanger (Norway) - Oslo - Västeras (Sweden) where the detachment arrived on 29 February.

The second six aircraft departed St. Athan on 28 February along the same route. HU461 was damaged at Wick and left there. When approaching Stavanger, HU462 became separated and made a forced landing and was left there too. The remaining four Hurricanes arrived at Västeras on 6 March. Six Hurricanes arrived in Finland on 7 March, three more the following day and the last one on 10 March.

Of interest is that only 3 of the 10 Hurricanes where metal wing and HU460 is one of them. The rest where ragwing aircraft. Also at the end of May 1940, the serial was changed from HU to HC, but I don't know why it was changed.

Looks like V-P and I tiped the info at the same time!

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks very much Peter

My wife had an uncle who flew in bombers out of Wick. I always regret not having the opportunity to ask him about it.  i would have loved to have known the aircraft, missions etc.

I often go up to Caithness now working on renewable energy projects.

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Glad I could help Pat.

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Edited and deleted due to superior information in Basilisks reply, thanks :thumbsup:

I don't consider the information I provided superior and even though some of your information was covered in what I wrote, there was actually a fair bit of additional information in your post I didn't know, so please do me a favor and edit your post once more to add your information again.

Thanks, Peter

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Thanks to point out the Venturi which I didn't notice. But aren't the gun humps on the wing the standard one on the G-6?

Most G-6’s had the underwing gun pods as standard but this one didn't. Possibly removed post hostilities, or maybe never installed ? The gun hump I was referring to is circled in Red. The gun pod should be where the yellow square is, but is missing. 
oguhKbG.jpg

Dennis

• Like 1

:hmmm:No Dennis, the R6 option was checked in only MT:s -436, -445, -448, -450, -451, -452, -453, -461, -465, -466, -467, -468, -477 and -479. So only 14 of total 111 G-6/G-8:s had the 20mm wing guns and even of them, most had them removed quickly after delivery to Finland. Pilots regarded the negative effect on agility was higher than the benefit of more firepower. I'd say half retained them, another half didn't. All the R6 equipped planes had the all-metal low rudder. A few (-436, -448 and -453) had the original canopy but most had Erlas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

welcome along Peter with a couple of really interesting choices.

A Bf-109 I thought we may see here but a Hurricane, that's a nice surprise. You have some nice extras to go with them.

Plus the info a photos you have of them are great, I did notice in the first one and bare metal (or tinted aluminium) Buffalo in the background, and is that a Gladiator sort of hidden behind the Hurricane?

Anyway, good luck with the build I know there'll be some interested parties following this one for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks V-P for reinstating your post.

Glad to be here Rich. Yes it looks to be one of the early Buffalo in the background. No idea what the biplane is, is civil as it has an OH registration.

I said I will use some AZ Model 109 parts to update my build without having an idea how well they actually fit on the Tamiya kit. So I had a quick look today.

spacer.png

And what a surprise, close to a perfect fit :thumbsup: The rudder also has the same width and so does the canopy. There is only a 0.3mm thick shim needed in the front of the canopy and that is it.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks VP and Col.

Got the Messerschmitt pit done over the weekend and what a beauty Tamiya is giving us.

spacer.png

And in the fuselage.

spacer.png

The IP is with the Tamiya instrument decals in place and doesn't look bad at all. Still have to add the lap harness before I attach the pit for good.

The Hurricane is next.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 7

On 1/18/2020 at 8:45 AM, Basilisk said:

Now this could mean that the picture of HU452 was taken before the registration was applied, most likely only needed for the landing in Sweden or it was applied only on the port side of the aircraft as it was just for one flight.

So I will paint my build like this.

spacer.png

And only on the port side until someone has some evidence that it was on the starboard side as well.

Someone who knows told that the registration was needed for transfer flights coming from Norway by the Swedish. What it is worth there are pictures of fuselage registrations in Blenheims and Lysanders on both sides of the fuselage.

I would go for registrations on both sides of the fuselage.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Someone who knows told that the registration was needed for transfer flights coming from Norway by the Swedish. What it is worth there are pictures of fuselage registrations in Blenheims and Lysanders on both sides of the fuselage.

Thanks AaCee for your information. Do you know where I can find published pictures of Lysanders with civil registrations? Also I only know of one picture showing the port side of a Blenheim with civil registration. Where can I find the picture showing the other side?

Got the Hurricane pit done and compared to the Tamiya cockpit, it is no comparison in finesse.

spacer.png

Arma Hoby does provide a nicely detailed cockpit, But the metal tubing and other details are way too bulky, making it look rather chunky. With the IP, I once again used the provided decals. It looks ok, but again, the Tamiya effort represents a better effort.

Fortunately most isn't visible in the fuselage with a closed canopy.

spacer.png

As with the Messerschmitt, I still have to add the Harness before I can close her up.

Building these two cockpits in parallel made it clear how advanced the German cockpit design was in comparison to the British effort. The German had all colour coded and the pilot basically sat on the floor which reduced the black-out on high G maneuvers substantially compared to the British pilot who was seated like on a dining table :shrug:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

On 2/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Basilisk said:

Thanks AaCee for your information. Do you know where I can find published pictures of Lysanders with civil registrations? Also I only know of one picture showing the port side of a Blenheim with civil registration. Where can I find the picture showing the other side?

Hello Peter,

There have been published pictures of those at least in the following books:

Blenheim: Finnish Air Force Bomner Squadron 42 (Koala-kustannus, Matti Hämäläinen page 11),

Suomen Ilmavoimien historia 10, Bristol Blenheim (self published, Kalevi Keskinen, Kari Stenman) page 14,

Lysander: Jäätukikohdan talvisota Hollolan Pyhäniemessä (self published, Ahti Saarinen) page 193

Finnsih Civil Aircraft 1926-2000 (Air-Britain, Tuomo T. MÄkinen, Eino Ritaranta) CD.

Most of the cases quality is qyite poor but enough to have photo proof for the registrations on the starboard side of the planes.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo
  • Like 2