I am currently away from the bench but when I get home this afternoon I’ll get some pictures up.  I will be using a basic 1/72 scale Revell Fokker with aftermarket decals, resin ski conversion and a set of white metal Spandaus to replace the box set.  To answer the next question: yes! splinter camouflage!  I have been waiting to build this aircraft for quite a while!

• Like 10

Here are the required starting points...

The kit is the basic Revell Fokker of white plastic.  Having built one or two of these before I know I will only be using the fuselage and wings (after sanding down the terrible 'fabric' texture) and scratch building the struts.     

spacer.png

Ah yes..Aeroclub Spandaus...and the resin skis...I will scavenge an axle airfoil from the spares box and scratch the struts from Evergreen, like the rest of them.

spacer.png

And here is the profile.  The other profile is for a Fokker with wheels and a different set of markings.  I like the splinter camo.

spacer.png

Soon I will tuck into three kits and three Group Builds!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 12

welcome along John with a unusual and great choice.

Pre-war aircraft used, well I have no idea so love to see builds like this and learn new stuff.

You just have to do the "splinter" scheme. it looks and will look awesome.

Good luck with the build(s), there will be some interest in this one for sure.

9 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks Col.  I think there were at least two.  

7 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks Hewy

I found this image from aerofile dot info...It doesn't look armed to me.

spacer.png

--John

I checked couple of my books and can't see weapons on them. According to this Ilmavoimat PDF (https://ilmavoimat.fi/documents/1951206/2016331/Ilmavoimien+lentokalusto+-++Toista+maailmansotaa+edeltävä+aika.pdf/29bb34d8-f832-442d-b87d-5f89ad216fc5/Ilmavoimien+lentokalusto+-++Toista+maailmansotaa+edeltävä+aika.pdf ) three were bought, two crashed the next year and the last one served until 1924 - and it also mentions pilot training. So quite possibly used as an unarmed trainer.

Also, on this Finnish forum regarding Fokker D.VII someone mentions that they were delivered unarmed - and altough arming them was planned, it was never done. https://www.pienoismallit.net/keskustelut/4903_suomalainen-fokker-dvii/?offset=30

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, reini said:

Hope this helps!

And it does reini.  Many thanks for the links.  I'll save the first one as a reference if you don't mind.  I have left my excellent Finnish aircraft books in a storage unit in America...

Yes..the aircraft I will be building is the one that was mustered out in 1924.  And it makes sense that they were delivered unarmed.  So, thank you for confirming all of this!

John

• Like 1

I found this in the spares box...very nice.  It'll improve the built ten-fold.  Because we all now what I will to work with in the Revell box...not much.

spacer.png

Here are some awful looking sprue...injection pins/holes...flash...too thick struts...Hmmm...the more I look at it the more I think I might start cannibalizing bits from Roden and MAC Fokkers kits to fix all of this.  This might become a very interesting build indeed!  I might keep the fuselage.  Maybe.

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

You know...Hmmm...the thing is, I have a few of the newest Eduard DVII kits in the stash.  And they really are top-notch kits.  In perusing the pdf page that @reini supplied I found this image, which I have cropped...

spacer.png

It distinctly says 'OAW' on the side of the fuselage.  the Eduard kits are OAW.  I might have to use one of them.  Or not.  I can use bits...I am kind of looking forward to scavenging and scratching.  The Eduard path would be almost too easy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here's something fun and obsessive compulsive...

spacer.png

MAC fuselage

Roden wings, etc...

Roden motor

Eduard axle airfoil

Eduard cockpit details

Evergreen rod

I will call it "MacRoduard"...that fine model company from north of Port William...:banghead:

Actually, I am happier with this set-up than the Revell boxing.  Any surgery I will have to do will be about the same.  Plus, the wings and moulding is better.

I'll change the title...

--John

• Like 7

Let's fix the lower wings.

spacer.png

I have cleaned up all the plastic bits.  It would be nice if the motor fit inside the fuselage but I doubt it will.  I will grind it down until it does!

spacer.png

Apply a bit of lozenge to the inside...these aircraft came with lozenge from the factory and were then overpainted...

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 5

I think "FrankenFokker" could have also done as a title!

Gosh the revell kit did look to be a shocker....I've got one trumpeter stuff that looks remarkably similarly mounded!!! :wall:

It's going to be really interesting watching you stick all these bits together. This almost class as scratchbuilding which is perfectly fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

This almost class as scratchbuilding which is perfectly fine.

I'm flattered Rich.   I'll leave the intense scratch building to my betters!  This is merely cannibalizing.  The only scratching I'll be doing will be the struts.

Let's fix up the cockpit, if at least just for a bit of show.  

Eduard PE pre-painted instrument panel backed with a few thin sheets of Evergreen.

spacer.png

I'll paint this bit brass for the fuel pump.  Sorry about the focus.

spacer.png

And the other side... there's an Eduard throttle in there, a floor from Evergreen, a bit of scrap for the seat to sit on...

spacer.png

I'll take care of the seat this evening and close it all up later before bedtime.

--John

• Like 8

True to prediction, the Roden motor had to be thoroughly destroyed in order to fit it into the MAC fuselage, show the manifolds correctly and allow for space for the radiator.  I had to cut off the bottom half of the motor and the pointy end of the front.  That is so the radiator would fit.  That's ok.  I knew it would happen.  I do love those Roden parts though.  Such nice detail.  Its a shame they rarely fit together.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the fuselage closed up I am feeling more confident about this build.  Note that white section of Evergreen.  This is where the Spandau guns would have gone. As it is, this part it will require a small amount of tidying up and a touch of filler.  I have left the ammo chutes.

spacer.png

The radiator fits cleanly.

spacer.png

Next up:  lower wings, stabilizer and rudder.

--John

• Like 12

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have left the ammo chutes.

If I understood correctly from the thread I linked earlier - that is the right thing to do, apparently the ammo chutes & ammo boxes were still in place.