Saab JA-37 Viggen Red 10: 3..2..1......FINISHED !!!

Ettore

Goodmorning to All

I enter in this GB with another Saab JA-37 Viggen, but in 1/72 scale.

It is a Special Hobby 1/72 box and the subject will be a Red 10 Wing F16 Uppsala August-November 2003

Red 10 Wing F16 Uppsala August-November  2003

spacer.png

See you in next days to start ............

Ettore :bye: 🇸🇪

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 16

welcome along Ettore, always great to have you in a GB, and with a wonderfull Viggen as well.

They are a loved aircraft, hence their popularity I suspect. Great colour scheme you have for her, she'll stand out for sure against her grey siblings in the galley.

Good luck with the build and I do look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Good morning to All

Finally I trouved time to start this GB.....

I started cockpit from the box, interior color is FS 36320 H307 Gunze, same color used  for CMK resin seat with also more different colors for variuous particulars.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Seat will be positioned at end, but I anyway tested the final result

spacer.png

spacer.png

The internal turbine and the suction pipes are in aluminum

spacer.png

Unfortunately, once mounted in the fuselage we will not see anything, instead the exhaust will be visible

spacer.png

The color is a base of steel, and after dryed, a thin coat of gun metal; then, when completely dry, I passed a little gun metal pigment that polished the area, the same treatment was done on the three petals; in the end I will use a sand pigment to simulate the results of combustion, the strong heat output vitrifies the interior, but it is a speech that we will do at the end of the assembly ..........opps .... I forgot to tell you that I also did an internal wash with a black oil color after the first coat of steel

Take a nice Sunday and don't forget to do a little modeling

Ettore  :bye:  🇸🇪

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 10

Thanks for the tip Christer, as soon as possible  I'll lower the two petals

Ettore

• Like 1

nice start Ettore, the cockpit is really nicely done!  :thumbsup:

that "metal work" is nice.

I too was going to mention those petals too, originally I wasn't aware either that the top one drooped with power off either.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodmorning everyone
I continue the construction of this kit, anticipating that unfortunately it needs a lot of putty in areas that are difficult to sand, more or less I solved the problem by using different types of Mr Surfacer in several passes; I begin to show the two main parts of the fuselage and the correct exhaust drain after the suggestion of Christer A.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The delta wing is very beautiful and already from an idea of how massive this plane was

spacer.png

Joined the wing to the fuselage and added the drift, the appearance now looks more like an airplane,

the piece on the left is the 30mm  Oerlikon KCA gun.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Look in this photo for the many small fills  I was talking about, it's always a short run! Good quality, but always a short run

spacer.png

At next.......

Ettore :bye:

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 13

Grazie Ale

Troppo tempo che non ci vediamo...........salutami i tuoi.

Ciao....

Thanks Ale

Too long we don't see each other ........... say hello to your parents

Hello....

Ettore

Hello People

Being also involved in another italian group build, I decided to alternate the weeks of work dedicated to Viggen with those dedicated to a F-105D.

I continued the work on the Viggen with the detail of the wheel bays, and sprayed a soft grey primer

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

after about ten hours, I colored the fin red; I thought it was difficult, but with light shades of X7 Tamiya I achieved the desired goal

spacer.png

a light grill above and below with a border of lightening panels, random white and dark gray completed the work

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point I ask you a question, which is the right color for a two-tone gray Viggen? Federal Standard codes  and / or Gunze color references; on the net I more or less understood that the lower surface Gunze H338 and the upper surfaces Gunze H307 should be used.
I hope some Scandinavians will answer me too.

See you next week

Ettore  :bye: 🇸🇪

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, Ettore said:

Hello People

Being also involved in another italian group build, I decided to alternate the weeks of work dedicated to Viggen with those dedicated to a F-105D.

I continued the work on the Viggen with the detail of the wheel bays, and sprayed a soft grey primer

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

after about ten hours, I colored the fin red; I thought it was difficult, but with light shades of X7 Tamiya I achieved the desired goal

spacer.png

a light grill above and below with a border of lightening panels, random white and dark gray completed the work

spacer.png

spacer.png

At this point I ask you a question, which is the right color for a two-tone gray Viggen? Federal Standard codes  and / or Gunze color references; on the net I more or less understood that the lower surface Gunze H338 and the upper surfaces Gunze H307 should be used.
I hope some Scandinavians will answer me too.

See you next week

Ettore  :bye: 🇸🇪

Hi Ettore,

Coming along nicely. I asked about the colours on my Viggen build and got a few answers so it might be worth checking. Last time I looked the build was at the bottom of page 4 of the GB listing and Christer's answer is on the 1st page of the thread.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

really lovely work Ettore! :thumbsup: 

The panel line work looks fantastic, well done. A plain grey scheme can be a bit boring (even I have said that at times) but with a little bit of extra work it can really come alive, this is a perfect example! :worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

Goodmorning to All

Today smart working at home and some day next week.

I take this opportunity to show you the finished Viggen caouflage.
For the lower surfaces I used a Gunze H338, I tried to make the preshading grid appear gently.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Same work for the upper surfaces but using a Gun33 H337, the same color added with H338 was sprayed in the center of the panels

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The gray panel on the back and on various other areas of the Viggen were made with the gunze H53 but with various pressure of the airbrush, in order to differentiate the nuances, the other two panels, always above, are made of aluminum.

The whells bays  compartments were in aluminum, but in the main one it had a black rubber cover with various pipes. I airbrushed the aluminum, then to simulate the black translucent rubber, I poured black tamiya paneliner on the aluminum.

spacer.png

spacer.png

At next

Ettore :bye: 🇸🇪

• Like 9