Airfix Spitfire Vb

Denford

It doesn't seem right to keep adding to this heading in the  'Rumourmonger' section any longer, hence a new Thread here.

An interesting observation from the most recent Aerodrome is that the kit will have 73 new parts.  The 'current' Mk l/lla has only 47!         W O W.

Some, like the (newly added) adjustable radiator flap, are self-evident but one can only speculate how the balance will be made up.  The small lugs at the rear underwing suggest external tankage(s), clearly a 'home' ie non-tropical carburetor intake will be included and hopefully an Aboukier too.  But that still leaves open lots of possibilities: what do other BM followers think? Clear wing tip fairings (like the Buccaneer) allowing navigation lights for clipped wing examples perhaps.

From earlier postings it seems that it will be a 'stand alone' Vc without compromise to Vb or Seafires.  If so, then the basic kit could be re-released a number of times (like the Sea Fury) with different markings, parts etc without changing the basic tool.

We should be grateful to Airfix for choosing to tool this as a subject and I hope it makes them lots and lots of money.

• Like 1

I think your title should be Vc, as that's the upcoming kit.  I'm looking forward to a new Vc even though it will open up the whole "Malta Spits, were they blue or grey or what" debate.

• Haha 2

Gentlemen,

it has been forseeable that Airfix would do a Mk. V c and/or b as well - new wings and radiators - that´s it....

The Mk. Vc definitely is - for the first term the more interesting one as it was in use with the RAAF as well and - first of all - the long and extensively discussed so-called "Malta-schemes" . I am anxious to learn which theories Airfix will adopt for these in the surely upcoming varaints...

Meanwhile I stay with the new AZ-models Mk. Vb and c - both IMHO excellent kits.

If Airfix had done these variants with the Hurricane-kit a couple of years ago...... I´d only liek to say "tin-wing"

Cheers

Michael

There were Mk.Vb on Malta too.  And in the desert, and Russia.  The MkVc being the designated overseas variant, they went to Australia and India, but otherwise the Mk.Vb still got around.  They were lighter than the Mk.Vc, so tended to be retained as fighters - not being rigged for bombs probably helped there.  The Mk.Vc was the heavyweight dragmaster of the single stage Merlin family.

• Like 1

Dear Graham,

I know.... have been to Malta very often and gone through the archives there at the Malta Aviation museum... I also met and have become friend with some of their historians and scale-modellers, e.g  Brian Cauchi. Some monthas ago I did a building report on one in SAM featuring a Revell/Pavla conversion in 1/72nd... I think I am quite up to date what Malta Spits is concerned - although I do not have the final answer to the question of their paintings, too - as nobody has today, most educated guess I suppose.

Did you read the conundrums in SAM about this topic? What do you think of these?

But still, the Mk Vc seems to be the more interesting one but we will see if there will be a Mk. Vb as well.....

But lets be happy that also Airfix is doing one!

Best regards

Michael

I thought Paul's researches into the documentation were very convincing.  For those two deliveries, from the Wasp, I do not expect to see anything better.  That still leaves us in some doubt about repainting done on Malta, and possibly Gibraltar.  I have not studied the later pair of articles closely but initially found them less immediately convincing.

I was mainly pointing out that the Mk.Vb was widely used too.  But for most examples a new fuselage is also required because of the windscreen interface with the fuselage, so just changing the wing would restrict the options severely.

PS  From what I've seen so far, the new kit will lack the small bulge on the upper wing inboard of the ailerons initially present on the early Mk.Vc, and seen on those aircraft from Wasp and at least one later delivery.  For those who care...

Edited by Graham Boak