Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

robc

1/72 - Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 RAF A06019

Recommended Posts

Picked up one yesterday and unless mine is a mistake it includes both the FG1 specific sprue from the original RN release and the FGR2 sprue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have a gander at mine, what should I look out for? (yes, it was a noticably tightly packed box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I'll have a gander at mine, what should I look out for? (yes, it was a noticably tightly packed box)

Two smaller sprues with horizontal stabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check. One contains the radar parts & SNEBs, other has SUU-23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Picked up one yesterday and unless mine is a mistake it includes both the FG1 specific sprue from the original RN release and the FGR2 sprue. 

Yes, I got this a couple of weeks ago from my local independent hobby store. Those two sprues are necessary for what are ex-RN aircraft in RAF service. The rocket pods (coming from the RN FG.1 sprue) are the RN 51mm (2 inch) triple-banked variety. It's very nice to have some more of these.

 

Unfortunately, the recessed Sparrow missiles (common to all 3 kits) still have those ugly downward fins (both fore and aft), thick as bricks and then some. The lateral fins are fine. I suppose for every Sparrow not used, fins can be scavenged to correct two Sparrows that are to be fitted. I have other sources of Sparrows, including Airfix, Hasegawa and Italeri weapon sets, and I may have to also dip into those when the time comes. I don't think any of those have the faceted surfaces though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2020 at 16:34, PhantomBigStu said:

Good to hear it’s not a mistake, nice surprise the extra parts for the same price

Not exactly, the latest boxing is £2 more expensive at RRP just like much the rest of the range has risen in price this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Not exactly, the latest boxing is £2 more expensive at RRP just like much the rest of the range has risen in price this year. 

mine had a £24.99 price sticker on it, same as the RN boxing next to it, hadn't realised there was another price rise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 3:38 PM, klr said:

Those two sprues are necessary for what are ex-RN aircraft in RAF service. The rocket pods (coming from the RN FG.1 sprue) are the RN 51mm (2 inch) triple-banked variety. It's very nice to have some more of these.

There weren't significant changes when they went to the RAF.  The RN 2" rocket pods were different to the SNEBS that the RAF used, be watchful with that.

Seems odd to have the FGR.2 extra parts included, but welcome all the same for the parts bin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

mine had a £24.99 price sticker on it, same as the RN boxing next to it, hadn't realised there was another price rise 

I guess individual shops will price as they prefer. Yesterday I stopped in Ian Allan Books in London who had them at £26.99 while last week at Addlestone Models they were £22.49 I think. 
I just looked back at my order history for the RN Phantom direct from Airfix - it was actually £24.49 so the latest boxing is definitely more expensive but that’s inflation for you. And it is still packed with build options that other kits don’t necessarily have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 71chally said:

There weren't significant changes when they went to the RAF.  The RN 2" rocket pods were different to the SNEBS that the RAF used, be watchful with that.

Seems odd to have the FGR.2 extra parts included, but welcome all the same for the parts bin.

 

Oh, don't worry: It's precisely because I know they are different that they are valuable. Until very recently, the RN pods were not available in 1/72 plastic form at all that I know of, not accurate ones anyway.

 

There's a reason for including the FGR.2 sprue, but it escapes me. When I get home I'll have a look at the instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klr said:

...

There's a reason for including the FGR.2 sprue, but it escapes me. When I get home I'll have a look at the instructions.

 

The SUU-23/A rotary cannon.

 

I'm glad for the spare nosegear and stabilators. Means you can build either variant, which is handy.

 

Tony 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering about that, since I did also get the ex-fujimi Italeri Spey Toom, and might need the nose gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony.t said:

The SUU-23/A rotary cannon.

 

I'm glad for the spare nosegear and stabilators. Means you can build either variant, which is handy.

 

Tony 

Seems extraordinarily kind of Airfix to supply that, especially as it was a more unusual fit on 111 (ever on Black mike?) and 43 Sqn jets, still that and the rocket pods will be very handy.

This is probably the best boxing to go for given the build options it allows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...