1/72 - Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 RAF A06019

robc

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Picked up one yesterday and unless mine is a mistake it includes both the FG1 specific sprue from the original RN release and the FGR2 sprue. 

Yes, I got this a couple of weeks ago from my local independent hobby store. Those two sprues are necessary for what are ex-RN aircraft in RAF service. The rocket pods (coming from the RN FG.1 sprue) are the RN 51mm (2 inch) triple-banked variety. It's very nice to have some more of these.

Unfortunately, the recessed Sparrow missiles (common to all 3 kits) still have those ugly downward fins (both fore and aft), thick as bricks and then some. The lateral fins are fine. I suppose for every Sparrow not used, fins can be scavenged to correct two Sparrows that are to be fitted. I have other sources of Sparrows, including Airfix, Hasegawa and Italeri weapon sets, and I may have to also dip into those when the time comes. I don't think any of those have the faceted surfaces though.

12 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Not exactly, the latest boxing is £2 more expensive at RRP just like much the rest of the range has risen in price this year. 

mine had a £24.99 price sticker on it, same as the RN boxing next to it, hadn't realised there was another price rise 

On 2/16/2020 at 3:38 PM, klr said:

Those two sprues are necessary for what are ex-RN aircraft in RAF service. The rocket pods (coming from the RN FG.1 sprue) are the RN 51mm (2 inch) triple-banked variety. It's very nice to have some more of these.

There weren't significant changes when they went to the RAF.  The RN 2" rocket pods were different to the SNEBS that the RAF used, be watchful with that.

Seems odd to have the FGR.2 extra parts included, but welcome all the same for the parts bin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

mine had a £24.99 price sticker on it, same as the RN boxing next to it, hadn't realised there was another price rise 

I guess individual shops will price as they prefer. Yesterday I stopped in Ian Allan Books in London who had them at £26.99 while last week at Addlestone Models they were £22.49 I think. 
I just looked back at my order history for the RN Phantom direct from Airfix - it was actually £24.49 so the latest boxing is definitely more expensive but that’s inflation for you. And it is still packed with build options that other kits don’t necessarily have. 

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

There weren't significant changes when they went to the RAF.  The RN 2" rocket pods were different to the SNEBS that the RAF used, be watchful with that.

Seems odd to have the FGR.2 extra parts included, but welcome all the same for the parts bin.

Oh, don't worry: It's precisely because I know they are different that they are valuable. Until very recently, the RN pods were not available in 1/72 plastic form at all that I know of, not accurate ones anyway.

There's a reason for including the FGR.2 sprue, but it escapes me. When I get home I'll have a look at the instructions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klr said:

There's a reason for including the FGR.2 sprue, but it escapes me. When I get home I'll have a look at the instructions.

The SUU-23/A rotary cannon.

I'm glad for the spare nosegear and stabilators. Means you can build either variant, which is handy.

Tony 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

The SUU-23/A rotary cannon.

I'm glad for the spare nosegear and stabilators. Means you can build either variant, which is handy.

Tony 

Seems extraordinarily kind of Airfix to supply that, especially as it was a more unusual fit on 111 (ever on Black mike?) and 43 Sqn jets, still that and the rocket pods will be very handy.

This is probably the best boxing to go for given the build options it allows.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
7 hours ago, drake122 said:

Yes, but did they correct the wide trenches they call panel lines? I bought the original release of this and was so disappointed I sold it weeks later...

I did exactly the same and kept hold of my Fujimi kit. 

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

I did exactly the same and kept hold of my Fujimi kit. 

James

Fujimi does seem to be the best in scale still, doesn't it. Altough, I am interested in getting a new Finemolds American Phantom, just to see how it compares...

• Like 3