1/72 - Piaggio P.108B "Quadrimotore" by Special Hobby - re-released

Homebee

Special Hobby is to re-release its 1/72nd Piaggio P.108B "Quadrimotore" under ref. SH72406

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2020/01/sh72406-piaggio-p108-172-boxart.html

Boxart for 1/72 SH72406 Piaggio P.108 ‘Quadrimotore’ by Standa Hájek. Kit will be on offer this spring. Plastic sprues are the same as in the sold out kit SH72035. New resin parts, decals and a new plastic sprue will be added.

SH72406-boxart.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is nice news. I have P108 in stash but just started to look around for a second one to do transport version P108T. When I realized that it is difficult to get - it appears!

Cheers

J-W

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 6:03 PM, JWM said:

That is nice news. I have P108 in stash but just started to look around for a second one to do transport version P108T. When I realized that it is difficult to get - it appears!

Cheers

J-W

I believe Italian Kits had a P-108T resin conversion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wait, wait.... I ave the original Special Hobby P.108 kit and I don't recognise any of those moulds ! Does this mean this is a brand new mould kit and not a reissue of the previous one ? Seems so to me...

The original kit is today fetching some crazy prices among Italian modellers, if they issue a new or even just an improved mould many of the ones who are paying over € 100 for the old one will be seriously stung...

Personally at this point I don't know... should I sell my copy of the old kit for a high price and then buy the new mould when issued ? Or cling to the original kit ?

Oh well, I know what kind of answer I'll get here; build the old one and buy the new one too to build in a different scheme ! 🤣

Edited by Giorgio N

On 2/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, Mick4350 said:

Time to have a read of my copy of the Ali D'Italia book on the Piaggio P.108.

Anyone interested in the Piaggio bomber may want to look for this book too:

https://www.amazon.it/Piaggio-P-108-Garello-Giancarlo/dp/B003TS5WJE

It is an old book and it's completely in Italian language. It is also not a book for modellers, although there are some information on the colour schemes. However it contains a good number of pictures, including several useful shots of the interiors and other details. And, at least in Italy, it's easily available at what are IMHO affordable prices (in the €12-20 range).

Once international delivery is added it may not be so cheap anymore, but it's much less than what many Ali d'Italia books are fetching today

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Thanks 1

Giorgio, I'm sorry for you but probably you are confusing the molds of Martin Bomber ( showh mixed with the Piaggio's ones)  with some for the Piaggio. The Piaggio new molds are limited to undercarriages and wheels elements, cockpit ( Instrument panel and seats) and some other pieces. The main parts are the same of the old tools. No changes. We have also some improvements with new resin parts in the armament turrets on wings and something more but the basic structure of the kit is the old one. No new tools for wings, fuselage, etc ... it's of course an improvement but not a new tool at all.   

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 5:34 PM, gioca said:

Giorgio, I'm sorry for you but probably you are confusing the molds of Martin Bomber ( showh mixed with the Piaggio's ones)  with some for the Piaggio. The Piaggio new molds are limited to undercarriages and wheels elements, cockpit ( Instrument panel and seats) and some other pieces. The main parts are the same of the old tools. No changes. We have also some improvements with new resin parts in the armament turrets on wings and something more but the basic structure of the kit is the old one. No new tools for wings, fuselage, etc ... it's of course an improvement but not a new tool at all.   

Ah ok, I had identified the undercarriage and noticed how the sprue differed from the ones in my box and hoped that the whole kit was new. So it's only some parts, guess I'll just build the old kit

On 5/18/2020 at 12:54 PM, Giorgio N said:

Wait, wait.... I ave the original Special Hobby P.108 kit and I don't recognise any of those moulds ! Does this mean this is a brand new mould kit and not a reissue of the previous one ? Seems so to me...

The original kit is today fetching some crazy prices among Italian modellers, if they issue a new or even just an improved mould many of the ones who are paying over € 100 for the old one will be seriously stung...

Personally at this point I don't know... should I sell my copy of the old kit for a high price and then buy the new mould when issued ? Or cling to the original kit ?

Oh well, I know what kind of answer I'll get here; build the old one and buy the new one too to build in a different scheme ! 🤣

Sell it and buy 2 new ones! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Still too expensive.

Expensive for your taste or in general ? I've seen the new issue offered for around € 55, that for a short run kit of that size is IMHO a reasonable price. And around half of what the original issue was going for on the preowned kits market

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Expensive for your taste or in general ? I've seen the new issue offered for around € 55, that for a short run kit of that size is IMHO a reasonable price. And around half of what the original issue was going for on the preowned kits market

In general and considering it´s a short run kit with obvious higher build difficulty and compared with other 4 engine bomber kits in the market. I have built three SH kits to date, All very difficult builds and one with poor moulding quality, the kind of kit that you consider dooming it to the trash bin many times during the build. All would have been expensive if bought in shops,but managed to get them at good price on evilbay. To be honest, other than for the lack of abundancy, I don´t get why Special Hobby kits are so pricey, apart from the 1/32 kits. Take Tamiya new F-4B announced high price or even other Tamiya kits that cost a lot. Most say that the top notch quality of the kit when it comes to detail and ease of build, justify the high price. I can accept that (altough I still find their kits stupidly expensive lol), but when it comes to Special Hobby kits, I can´t find a single reason to pay so much for one of their kits. I still have two in my stash that I only bought because one has portuguese markings (Breda Ba-65 that I already know it´s a very hard build) and the B-18 Bolo, because I like ugly nosed bombers which has its shortcomings too. Bottom line, for me, to pay 55 euros for a kit, it doesn´t have to be a shake and bake build, but has to be a nice build with nice detail. And that goes for any brand, either short run or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreamwriter said:

In general and considering it´s a short run kit with obvious higher build difficulty and compared with other 4 engine bomber kits in the market. I have built three SH kits to date, All very difficult builds and one with poor moulding quality, the kind of kit that you consider dooming it to the trash bin many times during the build. All would have been expensive if bought in shops,but managed to get them at good price on evilbay. To be honest, other than for the lack of abundancy, I don´t get why Special Hobby kits are so pricey, apart from the 1/32 kits. Take Tamiya new F-4B announced high price or even other Tamiya kits that cost a lot. Most say that the top notch quality of the kit when it comes to detail and ease of build, justify the high price. I can accept that (altough I still find their kits stupidly expensive lol), but when it comes to Special Hobby kits, I can´t find a single reason to pay so much for one of their kits. I still have two in my stash that I only bought because one has portuguese markings (Breda Ba-65 that I already know it´s a very hard build) and the B-18 Bolo, because I like ugly nosed bombers which has its shortcomings too. Bottom line, for me, to pay 55 euros for a kit, it doesn´t have to be a shake and bake build, but has to be a nice build with nice detail. And that goes for any brand, either short run or not.

The reason why SH (and Sword.. ) kits are so pricey is simple economics: subjects like the P.108 don't sell in large numbers and this means that all development costs must be divided for a relatively small number of kits.

However at least SH and the other short-run manufacturers use production techniques that allow them to still make some profit with small sale numbers, while the mainstream manufacturers would only approach subjects that would sell in much higher numbers since their manufacturing processes are much higher than SH's.

So the choice for the modeller is simple: if you want a P-108 you have to pay short run prices. If you want kits at say Revell prices, then forget the P.108, the Ba.65, the B-18, the Ba.88, the FF-1, F-3 and all other kits that short-run manufacturers offer. You'll get Spitfires, Mustangs 109s and B-17s, but none of the other more obscure subjects that others offer.

Alternatively if someone really wants a P.108, there's always the old Airmodel vacuform, that is sure less expensive (but not by much... IIRC was around €40) with all the details generally associated with an Airmodel vac kit, that is practically nothing.

• Like 7