1/72 - Piaggio P.108B "Quadrimotore" by Special Hobby - re-released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Piaggio P.108B "Quadrimotore" by Special Hobby - re-released

For those fancying something really different Cunarmodel have re released their resin conversion set to make this model into the 108T transport version with a much wider fuselage. A number were used on the Eastern front as heavy lifters by the Luftwaffe. I have bought mine. However be aware that Italianmodel the only shippers will not ship to the UK now we are out of the EU. Crazy but I had to get mine shipped to a mates address in Ireland and then he kindly posted on. A mad situation as I am pretty sure it probably went there via Gatwick or Heathrow rather than direct shipment to Dublin but who knows and que sera ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnedwardholt said:

For those fancying something really different Cunarmodel have re released their resin conversion set to make this model into the 108T transport version with a much wider fuselage. A number were used on the Eastern front as heavy lifters by the Luftwaffe. I have bought mine. However be aware that Italianmodel the only shippers will not ship to the UK now we are out of the EU. Crazy but I had to get mine shipped to a mates address in Ireland and then he kindly posted on. A mad situation as I am pretty sure it probably went there via Gatwick or Heathrow rather than direct shipment to Dublin but who knows and que sera ! 

Do you mean Italian Kits ? If so this is pretty much a one man operation, the kind of requests that HM Revenues asked foreign dealers to sell into the UK are a burden for such small businesses, several have simply stopped selling to the Country rather than go through the whole hassle.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:16 PM, Johnedwardholt said:

Girogio you are quite right I did mean Italian Kits he was very helpful but would only ship to EU. It is a great conversion set for very different looking Piaggio 108.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, Giorgio N said:

Do you mean Italian Kits ? If so this is pretty much a one man operation, the kind of requests that HM Revenues asked foreign dealers to sell into the UK are a burden for such small businesses, several have simply stopped selling to the Country rather than go through the whole hassle.

Currently I am collecting data to do a scratch conversion work for P108T - the existing conversion set for this  model (as far as I've learnt) is not available any longer, unfortunately. If I am wrong, please tell it, it will save a lot of efforts...

Regards

J-W

36 minutes ago, JWM said:

Currently I am collecting data to do a scratch conversion work for P108T - the existing conversion set for this  model (as far as I've learnt) is not available any longer, unfortunately. If I am wrong, please tell it, it will save a lot of efforts...

Regards

J-W

Yes, as John said the conversion is now back in stock at Italian Kits, see here

https://www.italiankits.it/cunarmodel.html

Not cheap but would avoid a lot of work. If you want one I'd not wait too long, production runs for these are quite small

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Not cheap but would avoid a lot of work. If you want one I'd not wait too long, production runs for these are quite small

Thank you, I have wrote them an e-mail with order. We will see...

Best regards

J-W

On 5/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, Giorgio N said:

Yes, as John said the conversion is now back in stock at Italian Kits, see here

https://www.italiankits.it/cunarmodel.html

Giorgio, many thanks for the info again - I have just bought this conversion for 108T. :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

J-W

Enjoy and you were lucky being in EU that yours didn’t have to come via Ireland!  Will be great addition to my Luftwaffe Italian heavy lifters they certainly used a variety I have a Broplan SM 95 to get finished and already have an SM 75 and 82 in Luftwaffe markings. 

Regards

John

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Johnedwardholt said:

Enjoy and you were lucky being in EU that yours didn’t have to come via Ireland!  Will be great addition to my Luftwaffe Italian heavy lifters they certainly used a variety I have a Broplan SM 95 to get finished and already have an SM 75 and 82 in Luftwaffe markings. 

Regards

John

John,

Have you posted yours large Italians on BM/RFI? It would be nice to see them. All those transport Italians in my case are yet to be done.  I have SM 75 and also SM 74 in stash (both by Broplan) along with also their conversion for Italeri/Supermodel  CANT Z 506 (the C variant with passenger fuselage ) . The SM 73 (to be converted from SM81)  and Sm 82 will go from Italeri. However I thought, that SM 95 was a sole prototype only during war, so I skipped this. Anyway - with P108T added this looks like well more than half a year project...

Regards

J-W

23 hours ago, JWM said:

John,

Have you posted yours large Italians on BM/RFI? It would be nice to see them. All those transport Italians in my case are yet to be done.  I have SM 75 and also SM 74 in stash (both by Broplan) along with also their conversion for Italeri/Supermodel  CANT Z 506 (the C variant with passenger fuselage ) . The SM 73 (to be converted from SM81)  and Sm 82 will go from Italeri. However I thought, that SM 95 was a sole prototype only during war, so I skipped this. Anyway - with P108T added this looks like well more than half a year project...

Regards

J-W

J W

i don’t post much on here photo wise as my IT skills are a bit limited and I don’t find it that easy. However I am on Facebook as John Holt  if you do that?  My address is Shepton Mallet Somerset and I can easily send you some pictures via the messenger. I think yours and my interests overlap quite a bit? I collect anything from WW2 operated by the British & Commonwealth and German 1/72  I have about 1500 and love the electic  and have followed many of your  builds with great interest.  I have for example your Heinkel III G-3 photos as project I would love to add to my collection one day.

I recently completed two Cant Z506 Floatplanes OOB  the Italeri upgrade of the Supermodel one in Luftwaffe and one in RAF (HK977) at Malta. I  would be interested in your C if it was ever operated by the Luftwaffe? I also have an SM 73 in RAF 24 Squadron markings (Ex-SABENA) I used the SEM Conversion and the Italeri SM 81 wings from a scrap kit. I also have an SM 81 in RAF markings 112 Squadron and one to do in stash as Luftwaffe. I have not got a SM 74 as I couldn’t locate any evidence of Luftwaffe  or RAF usage much as it is a nice looking aircraft,  but again would be interested if you have any evidence ?

I think you will find that at least two of the SM 95s were used by the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front by 5 Transportstaffel based I think at Mulhdorf in Aug 1944 (alongside of the Piaggio 108 funnily enoigh) and there is the odd photo on the internet unfortunately full codes cannot be seen but my research indicates is likely J4+VH and mine will be finished as that it is should be finished in next few weeks. 

Regards

John 

• Like 1

1025-14-1-4.jpg

21 hours ago, Johnedwardholt said:

i don’t post much on here photo wise as my IT skills are a bit limited and I don’t find it that easy. However I am on Facebook as John Holt  if you do that?  My address is Shepton Mallet Somerset and I can easily send you some pictures via the messenger. I think yours and my interests overlap quite a bit? I collect anything from WW2 operated by the British & Commonwealth and German 1/72  I have about 1500 and love the electic  and have followed many of your  builds with great interest.  I have for example your Heinkel III G-3 photos as project I would love to add to my collection one day.

I recently completed two Cant Z506 Floatplanes OOB  the Italeri upgrade of the Supermodel one in Luftwaffe and one in RAF (HK977) at Malta. I  would be interested in your C if it was ever operated by the Luftwaffe? I also have an SM 73 in RAF 24 Squadron markings (Ex-SABENA) I used the SEM Conversion and the Italeri SM 81 wings from a scrap kit. I also have an SM 81 in RAF markings 112 Squadron and one to do in stash as Luftwaffe. I have not got a SM 74 as I couldn’t locate any evidence of Luftwaffe  or RAF usage much as it is a nice looking aircraft,  but again would be interested if you have any evidence ?

I think you will find that at least two of the SM 95s were used by the Luftwaffe on the Eastern Front by 5 Transportstaffel based I think at Mulhdorf in Aug 1944 (alongside of the Piaggio 108 funnily enoigh) and there is the odd photo on the internet unfortunately full codes cannot be seen but my research indicates is likely J4+VH and mine will be finished as that it is should be finished in next few weeks. 

John, you are certainly right that we have similar interest in transport machines, although I  maybe like to do Italians in Italian colors - unless like Piaggio P108 T the main user was Luftwaffe.   BTW - what about  Fiat G-12. IS it available as a kit?  

SM 95 has a bizarre double tires system (as shown above) what makes this construction unique, I think. Maybe I should re-consider skipping this type, indeed two of them were in Luftwaffe during late phase  of WW2. The CANT Z 506 is an Italian ambulance (ASR?) machine 

30-4.jpg

http://italiantechtreewt.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/9/5/23957853/847903.jpg?700

or a civil one:

https://upload.forumfree.net/i/ff13292734/CANTZ506C.jpg

Best regards

J-W

23 hours ago, Johnedwardholt said:

One of the two Savoia-Marchetti SM.95s transport aircraft commandeered by the German at Guidonia’s Flying Test Center after the Italy’s Armistice, September 1943, and transferred in Germany. Many Italian planes captured by the German was tested both in Italy and in Germany, at Rechlin’s Luftwaffe test center. The test pilot Hans-Werner Lerche which evaluated most of Italian planes, tested also the SM.95. The Lerche’s judgment was good and the two four engines was assigned to Trasportfliegerstaffel 5 (Tr.St.5) at Muhldorf. One SM.95 was destroyed at Muhldorf on 4 September 1944 by an Allied air raid, the other disappeared during the Germany’s fall. Note in this photo, likely taken at Muhldorf during the winter, one of Savoia-Marchetti S.82 seized and employed by Luftwaffe.

spacer.png

Source: https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-air-force/37828/luftwaffe's-sm.95

An article about Transportfliegerstaffel 5 was published in Avions 164 (2008 07-08) or Jet & Prop 2018/03.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JWM said:

1025-14-1-4.jpg

John, you are certainly right that we have similar interest in transport machines, although I  maybe like to do Italians in Italian colors - unless like Piaggio P108 T the main user was Luftwaffe.   BTW - what about  Fiat G-12. IS it available as a kit?  

SM 95 has a bizarre double tires system (as shown above) what makes this construction unique, I think. Maybe I should re-consider skipping this type, indeed two of them were in Luftwaffe during late phase  of WW2. The CANT Z 506 is an Italian ambulance (ASR?) machine 

30-4.jpg

http://italiantechtreewt.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/9/5/23957853/847903.jpg?700

or a civil one:

https://upload.forumfree.net/i/ff13292734/CANTZ506C.jpg

Best regards

J-W

JW glad to see someone cleverer than me as posted some photos of the SM 95. There is a resin SEM kit Fiat G 12 I have one as captured RAF HK940 of 223 Squadron in Italy Oct 1944 and probably will get to one in luftwaffe markings at some point.I  like the different Cant Z 506. If Facebook is not an option my email is [email protected] I can send you photos of G 12, SM 75, SM 73 and SM 95 (when finished), Cant Z 506s if you wish Regards John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnedwardholt said:

If Facebook is not an option my email is [email protected] I can send you photos of G 12, SM 75, SM 73 and SM 95 (when finished), Cant Z 506s if you wish Regards John 

This goes far OT, so lets switch to PMs...

Regards

J-W