Large Scale Pony

Golikell

Now that my 1:48 Hasegawa is well underway and approaching the final paint stage (primer is on, preparing the front cowling and spinner to have their colors), and I enjoyed this kit so much, I decided to add a larger scale Pony to my collection: the 1:32 Zoukei-Mura P51-D .

An awesome kit with full interior. It really screams to be build. Ordered extra wheels, barrels and seatbelts. There are other sets available, but these together will more than double the kit price, so I will mak do with what is in the box and the 3 add ons.

I hope I can finish it before the group build ends... Oh well, I'll see.

695135-36520-86-720.jpg

695136-36520-84.jpg

• Like 7

On 17/01/2020 at 20:31, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Any idea of which scheme you will be going with ? 

The Mixed NMF/Green  as per box art it will be...  :D The Engine is nearly ready (will post picture of finished product shortly) and I cut off the first parts and put on some primer for the cockpit... 

Edited by Golikell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golikell said:

Even the pistons are included!

You have to wonder why.  I can’t see the purpose of including things that are never going to be seen.

AW

• Like 1

Just now, Andwil said:

You have to wonder why.  I can’t see the purpose of including things that are never going to be seen.

AW

I see what you mean..., but since they are attached to the cylinder block, Idid not see a problem here...

700956-36520-16.jpg

• Like 4

On 23/01/2020 at 15:15, Golikell said:

Hm... Zoukei-Mura suggests lime green as colour for the metal parts like spars, motor mount, etc.  Looks nice on the pics, but wouldn't be Yellow Zinc Chromate be more appropriate?

Sorry, I missed this because I couldn‘t see your pictures initially (Google...), and therefore didn‘t read the text.

Certain structural members received two coats of zinc chromate. In order to make sure the second coat had been applied it was tinted green. That‘s why you read about yellow and green zinc chromate. I think the engine bearers received a green second coat. But never mind - I believe I have seen yellow ones, too.

10 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Sorry, I missed this because I couldn‘t see your pictures initially (Google...), and therefore didn‘t read the text.

Certain structural members received two coats of zinc chromate. In order to make sure the second coat had been applied it was tinted green. That‘s why you read about yellow and green zinc chromate. I think the engine bearers received a green second coat. But never mind - I believe I have seen yellow ones, too.

Ah, that does explain something :)  But then again, isn't Green Zinc Chromate the same as interrior green? Plus, every structural part is stated as being lime green. 

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I guess someone might want to do an engine maintenance diorama?

With this kit: surely possible :)

33 minutes ago, Golikell said:

But then again, isn't Green Zinc Chromate the same as interrior green? Plus, every structural part is stated as being lime green.

Yes, the origin of 'Interior Green' or 'Cockpit Green' is the same as for greenish zinc chromate. But while the latter varied a lot in tone and density, interior green was specified as ANA 611 in the official colour tables. Cockpits were also painted in Dull Dark Green (contemporaneous with or preceding interior green) and Bronze Green (pre-war). The number of different green shades inside of USAAF aircraft is sheer countless, you therefore can hardly make a mistake. Just keep in mind that interior green was not a bright colour (!) rather leaning towards light olive green.

Sources: Dana Bell 1997, Archer 1995, Waligorski 2004, and others.

Structural parts were yellow and green zinc chromate depending on the number of coats applied.

Visit this website for the allegedly best restored Mustang of today. There are a 360° cockpit view and restoration project updates showing all the different colours:

https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/project/p-51c-lopes-hope-3rd/

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Structural parts were yellow and green zinc chromate depending on the number of coats applied.

Visit this website for the allegedly best restored Mustang of today. There are a 360° cockpit view and restoration project updates showing all the different colours:

https://www.aircorpsaviation.com/project/p-51c-lopes-hope-3rd/

Cheers, Michael

Thanks for your reply. I intent to use Vallejo's  71010 Interior Green Matt. 
A pity that the machine in question is a C variant while I am building a D version here :( Still, I see what I can use from it. 

Edited by Golikell

Last week I recieved to goodies I ordered from my LHS: weighted wheels, brass .50 cal barrels and seatbelts: 

702699-36520-11.jpg

I managed to attach the belts, thoug I think I shorten them, now that I look at the picture. Plus some thouch up to the paint 😕

702700-36520-72.jpg

Edited by Golikell
  • Like 6

Finished the cockpit (though I repainted the bulkhead (lime), tank and radio rack (black) in the meanwhile). I added extra details to the battery, tank and radio, to make the area look more interesting. 
704999-36520-76.jpg

705000-36520-57.jpg

705001-36520-78.jpg

705002-36520-49.jpg

705003-36520-17.jpg

Edited by Golikell
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Golikell said:

Cheers... I used only 1 decal on the dashboard the rest is 

Exellent job 👍really is, i dont do much large scale stuff, but when i see others do it well, as here ,it makes me want to do a bit more