Badger's 1/72 Academy Ju87 G-2

badger

Evening All

I have a terrible track record of finishing GBs but I have this in the stash that I bought some years ago.

20200117_183411

I have fond memories of building the Matchbox version many years ago, although I don't recollect ever finishing it.

At the time I also invested heavily in some aftermarket bits and bobs. I know the etch is for the 'D' version but hopefully it will work.

20200117_183355

No idea how far I'll get with this as I haven't finished an aircraft kit in easily 25 years but there's a first time for everything!

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, badger said:

Evening All

I have a terrible track record of finishing GBs 

20200117_183411

I have fond memories of building the Matchbox version many years ago, although I don't recollect ever finishing it.

Ben 

Hi Ben

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with this problem, 😂

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, badger said:

I have a terrible track record of finishing GBs but I have this in the stash that I bought some years ago.

Don't worry, there is a lot of it about, you are in good company and this might be a turning point. 😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks for looking Pat and Bob - all comments appreciated.

I managed to grab half an hour on this earlier and got the nose together. I found that removing the lugs helped it to line up a bit better as there was a distinct step otherwise.

2020-01-17_10-39-43

I also got the wings assembled, remembering to drill out all the holes first (I usually forgot, so pretty pleased with myself for this!)

More soon

All the best 

Ben

• Like 6

Ha Ha - I have the exact same kit - that I picked up for a fiver when my LMS closed down a couple of years ago - so go on then - inspire me to pull it out of the cupboard - I DARE YOU :lol:

Good luck with the build - Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Ha Ha - I have the exact same kit - that I picked up for a fiver when my LMS closed down a couple of years ago - so go on then - inspire me to pull it out of the cupboard - I DARE YOU :lol:

@vppelt68

Time to start your hosting persuasive skills mate @BIG Xaka Steve need a bit of gentle coaching to join the GB :fight:

cheers Pat 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

@vppelt68

Time to start your hosting persuasive skills mate @BIG Xaka Steve need a bit of gentle coaching to join the GB :fight:

cheers Pat 

Worryingly...

I've just had a rummage in the cupboard and found these 3...

stukas.jpg

...yes 'another' 1/144 Zvezda and I'm 99.9% sure there is a 1/48 Airfix lurking in the loft too :doh:

ooh blimey - I'm supposed to be build a Kubelwagen...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Worryingly...

stukas.jpg

...yes 'another' 1/144 Zvezda and I'm 99.9% sure there is a 1/48 Airfix lurking in the loft too :doh:

Where's  @Enzo Matrix when you need him

Altogether now....

BUILD THEM ALL !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Worryingly...

stukas.jpg

Ooh - Would be interested in watching the Airfix one get the Big X treatment.!!

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Challenge accepted!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, badger said:

Ooh - Would be interested in watching the Airfix one get the Big X treatment.!!

Challenge accepted!

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!  We will have to see - I'm getting nervous and excited all at the same time :lol:

• Like 1

Quick update before I head into the kitchen to cook tea (sweet and sour prawns with noodles and a stir fry veg medley if anyone's interested).

Out of the box the cockpit is rather nice. I've added the eduard radio faces, some kind of fuse panel and am partway through adding the seat belts.

I was going to buy the quickboost resin seats with moulded belts as they looked very nice but realised they appear to be an unarmoured version and different to what the kit offers so scrapped that idea.

I figure the kit ones will look ok once the belts have been added.

2020-01-18_04-53-47

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, badger said:

Quick update before I head into the kitchen to cook tea (sweet and sour prawns with noodles and a stir fry veg medley if anyone's interested).

I was going to buy the quickboost resin seats with moulded belts as they looked very nice but realised they appear to be an unarmoured version and different to what the kit offers so scrapped that idea.

Ben 

Tea sounds good!!!

Now - for someone who isn't a Stuka 'experten' - your spotting of an armoured & unarmoured version sounds like a man who knows what he is doing ;)

Go for it mate!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Tea sounds good!!!

Now - for someone who isn't a Stuka 'experten' - your spotting of an armoured & unarmoured version sounds like a man who knows what he is doing ;)

Go for it mate!!

Thanks mate.

Tea was rather good if I do say so myself.

Glad it sounds like I know what I'm doing, because I really don't! The whole idea of this build is going to be very much "if it looks right".

I attempted to sort out suitable paints this afternoon. As luck would have it I have Xtracrylix RLM 70 and 71, plus 04 for the yellow wing tips and RLM 66 for the interior.

What I don't have is RLM 65 for the underside.

A quick googling opened a huge can of worms, so I'll use Vallejo 064 as I have this and it looks reasonably close to me. Failing that I found a recipe for a tamiya mix using colours I have so that will be my fall back.

I also had a look in my decal stash as pretty sure I had some aftermarket decals for this. I completely failed to find them so with reluctance will use the kit decals for Rudel's mount (I much prefer not to model "personality" vehicles / aircraft).

A short session whilst tea settled has seen me almost finish the cockpit assembly - just the rear seatbelts to add. I also sanded off all the raised detail on the instrument panel and trimmed the etch to fit (it's really meant for an Italeri kit).

20200118_193602 20200118_193617

I need to assemble some tricky looking pedals next which might take a while.

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 5

Last update for tonight.

Lots more progress on what, to this point, has been an enjoyable build.

Cockpits finished ready for primer.

20200118_220555

Resin propeller has been assembled - first time using one of these with the jig, but it went quite smoothly. Realised too late I should have left the blades out until it had been painted so I could do the spiral a bit easier.

20200118_213617 20200118_214441

Resin exhausts have been cleaned up ready for primer

20200118_213720

Started playing with the gun pods and got one fitted out with the very nice brass barrels.

That's it for tonight - more soon.

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 9

On 1/18/2020 at 5:39 AM, badger said:

So do I, and I am sad to say that I haven't finished any GBs for the last four years - so you are in good hands :winkgrin:

21 hours ago, BIG X said:

So what are you waiting for? Go get a WIP started ASAP :winkgrin:

Back to your build. Looks like a nice kit with a nicely built cockpit :thumbsup: The other aftermarket parts will make a noticeable difference too.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

So do I, and I am sad to say that I haven't finished any GBs for the last four years - so you are in good hands :winkgrin:

Back to your build. Looks like a nice kit with a nicely built cockpit :thumbsup: The other aftermarket parts will make a noticeable difference too.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter - I enjoyed adding the etch to the cockpit - very satisfying to see the end result over the slightly sparse original.

Slight update - in between getting lunch (homemade schnitzel, croquettes (shop bought) and coleslaw) ready and preparing a homemade chicken katsu curry for in the week I managed to pop outside and get a quick blast of primer on the cockpit and spray the exhausts a suitable metal colour.

All being well I'll fire up the airbrush this afternoon and get the RLM66 on the cockpit.

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 2

Just managed to get a quick coat of Xtracrylix RLM 66 on the interior. 

2020-01-19_04-56-55

Flipping cold in the garage (and it's an internal one)! It's now in the warm house and drying nicely.

I really don't like the acetate panels eduard provide with their older etch sets, as they are a total faff to get to work and never (to my eyes at least) seem to look right.

To this end I have applied some individual Mike Grant decal instruments over the printed ones on the acetate sheet (that way they'll be in the right place). These have different dial faces and I've tried to match them to the real panel as closely as possible (A & B have been done, C is yet to do).

2020-01-19_05-03-33

I'll do a bit of detail painting on the etched instrument panel, stick this over the decals, then glaze the openings with a drop of gloss varnish to hopefully look a bit more like the real thing.

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, badger said:

Just managed to get a quick coat of Xtracrylix RLM 66 on the interior. 

2020-01-19_04-56-55

Flipping cold in the garage (and it's an internal one)! It's now in the warm house and drying nicely.

I really don't like the acetate panels eduard provide with their older etch sets, as they are a total faff to get to work and never (to my eyes at least) seem to look right.

To this end I have applied some individual Mike Grant decal instruments over the printed ones on the acetate sheet (that way they'll be in the right place). These have different dial faces and I've tried to match them to the real panel as closely as possible (A & B have been done, C is yet to do).

2020-01-19_05-03-33

I'll do a bit of detail painting on the etched instrument panel, stick this over the decals, then glaze the openings with a drop of gloss varnish to hopefully look a bit more like the real thing.

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

Looking good Sir!!!

• Thanks 1

OOH BLIMEY THOUGH - I went in the loft just now to finally put the Christmas decorations away - they have been clogging up the den for a couple of weeks now & guess what was staring at me...

IMG-6716.jpg

...yep I knew it was there and it is MONSTER SIZED BOX TOO!!!

So that makes 4 Strukas...

IMG-6715.jpg

...hmm stukamania perhaps....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Looking good Sir!!!

Thanks Steve - although just noticed I've lost a rudder pedal and it now cant be found anywhere :wall:

Have to see if I've got some spare somewhere 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OOH BLIMEY THOUGH - I went in the loft just now to finally put the Christmas decorations away - they have been clogging up the den for a couple of weeks now & guess what was staring at me...

IMG-6716.jpg

...yep I knew it was there and it is MONSTER SIZED BOX TOO!!!

So that makes 4 Strukas...

IMG-6715.jpg

...hmm stukamania perhaps....

Haha - build them all!

Go on you know you want to ...........................

:coat:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, badger said:

Thanks Steve - although just noticed I've lost a rudder pedal and it now cant be found anywhere :wall:

Have to see if I've got some spare somewhere 

Phew - found some spares on an Me-262 sheet and they're identical which is good news.

• Like 1

Instrument panel finished.

2020-01-19_09-23-39

Added a quickboost resin gunsight with acetate lenses. Instruments are individual decals and I added a drop of varnish to each to represent the glass.

Pretty pleased with it - photo sadly does not do it justice as was struggling to get my phone to focus on it.

Managed to do some other bits and pieces around the cockpit so hopefully can get this finished off soon so i can crack on with the assembly.

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 2

Forgot to add that I also did a bit on the exhausts - these just need a rusty wash.

2020-01-19_09-33-43

Also found a suitable figure - from the Zvezda luftwaffe ground crew set.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Bit more work in the cockpit tonight with some detail painting.

20200120_213932

Have now stuck it into one fuselage half as it was getting seriously fiddly.

20200120_213943

The belts need a bit more work - not entirely happy with the lack of definition on them.

20200120_213955

Have added a map to the stowage pocket beneath the radios.

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 6