Kinetic 1/48 F-16AM with a Danish twist

Mozzy19

That's nasty and really not what we've come to expect from a modern kit, let's be honest they are not cheap either, sure you'll sort it out without too much trouble though Sean.

• Thanks 1

To me, the clear part for the search light is oversized as provided by the kit. So I have added a scrap piece of clear sprue, and will sand/polish that into shape and I’ll deal with the gaps. The fuselage strengthening plates have also been added.

20200228_194015

20200228_195357

Hopefully once I’ve sorted out the searchlight I’ll get some primer on it tomorrow.

Sean

• Like 3

:coolio:

20200229_201109

20200229_201121

There was a fair bit of paint bleed under the vinyl masks because they are a bit too rigid to settle into some panel lines. Even with that though, I’m well chuffed with the results so far :thumbsup:

I’ve noticed the red looks a bit orange in the pictures, it isn’t, it’s most definitely bright red :D

Sean

• Like 7

It certainly has considerable visual impact. Not usually a fan of the display schemes but this one is an exception :wub: and you're executing it well.

• Thanks 1

wow she looks very impressive!!!! 

Those vinyl masks can be such a pain at times, I find they just don't like curved surfaces and do tend to lift easily. At least now you have solid reference lines for tape masking so the truck up work should be fairly straightforward.

But well done so far, that scheme is awesome!  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

wow she looks very impressive!!!! 

Those vinyl masks can be such a pain at times, I find they just don't like curved surfaces and do tend to lift easily. At least now you have solid reference lines for tape masking so the truck up work should be fairly straightforward.

But well done so far, that scheme is awesome!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich. The masks were actually ok on the curved surfaces, especially on the underside and towards the rear. They just didn’t want to bed down into the panel lines or should I say, stay in the panel lines. From this point on all colours will be brushed on, I absolutely do not trust myself with a rattle can over it now no matter how much masking I do...

I couldn’t resist seeing what it looks like next to it’s Nordic cousin.

2020-02-29_09-47-58

Sean

• Like 6

Using a brush to clean up the paint bleeding didn’t work, so it was out with the worlds supply of masking tape to mask up my almost good to go paintwork. I also took the opportunity to slightly correct the white near the canopy which I originally had a few mm to high. I then attacked it with a rattle can again.

20200301_170312

Then with the proverbial fingers and toes crossed, I removed all the tape. 

20200301_184351

Result!

No paint creep!

A little bit of black lifted with the tape but I can definitely fix that using a brush. :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 8

definitely!!! :thumbsup: 

Those vinyl masks are best used to get the patten/shape right and that's about all they're good for. Tape masking is the only way to get nice clean lines.

Great job, awesome scheme.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

definitely!!! :thumbsup: 

Those vinyl masks are best used to get the patten/shape right and that's about all they're good for. Tape masking is the only way to get nice clean lines.

Great job, awesome scheme.

Thanks Rich. I definitely agree about the vinyl masks although I imagine that they might work a bit better when painting with an airbrush rather than rattle can. There’s not much control with a spray can. My next build is definitely going to have a simpler paint job. :D

Speaking of which, I have almost all the necessary things to create this: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-Fokker-F-16BM-Fighting-Falcon-401/2131067/L

That may or may not make an appearance in this group build, I’ll see how I get on with this one first. :) 

Sean

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Speaking of which, I have almost all the necessary things to create this: https://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-Fokker-F-16BM-Fighting-Falcon-401/2131067/L

That may or may not make an appearance in this group build, I’ll see how I get on with this one first. :) 

Oooh that's nice. Another interesting F-16, something I never thought I'd say.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Oooh that's nice. Another interesting F-16, something I never thought I'd say.

F-16’s are a good choice if you want to build a modern jet with a more interesting colour scheme rather than the usual plain grey.

Sean

3 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

F-16’s are a good choice if you want to build a modern jet with a more interesting colour scheme rather than the usual plain grey.

Sean

I'm rapidly coming to realise that. In fact guess who's currently looking at photographs of the various Dutch and Italian 'Diana' tail-art while wondering what decals are available for some of them...

21 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'm rapidly coming to realise that. In fact guess who's currently looking at photographs of the various Dutch and Italian 'Diana' tail-art while wondering what decals are available for some of them...

I didn’t point you in this direction: https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?keyword_search=F-16&setPerPage=25&product_type_id=all_decals&scale_id=956&search_direction=asc&save_search=1&pageID=1

:whistle:

I've started the decals on the tail and I can wholeheartedly recommend the Syhart decals, they really are superb.

Sean

• Like 1

That’s an object of beauty Sean. It’s really all coming together now that the decals have been applied. You should be extremely happy with that. Well done. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s an object of beauty Sean. It’s really all coming together now that the decals have been applied. You should be extremely happy with that. Well done. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. Given that it’s a modern jet, there are many more decals to apply in the form of stencils :fraidnot:

Sean

• Sad 1