Best 1/700 IJN Kaga or Akagi kit ?

100SQN

Exactly - only the new (after 2010) Fujimi kits of both these Japanese giants are worth bothering with. Forget Hasegawa.

But why "or"? They are totally different ships with boarded aircraft being the only common part for the two.

Cheers

Michael

On 1/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, KRK4m said:

But why "or"? They are totally different ships with boarded aircraft being the only common part for the two.

Cheers

Michael

They both share similar visual characteristics despite this. Both have a clear appearance of having evolved to what they were, both had the appearance of capital ship hulls with a hangar deck added and Victorian railway bridges cobbled together at each end to hold up a droopy flight deck.

The are completely different ships, I agree, yet their general appearance is shares a lot of characteristics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

They both share similar visual characteristics despite this. Both have a clear appearance of having evolved to what they were, both had the appearance of capital ship hulls with a hangar deck added and Victorian railway bridges cobbled together at each end to hold up a droopy flight deck.

Yeah, there I also do agree. But - looking for the (although a little bit smaller) RN equivalents - Kaga is like the HMS Eagle, while Akagi is more HMS Glorious-alike.

I know that withtin the Admiral Yamamoto's Combined Fleet Kido Butai they (i.e. Akagi and Kaga) have been paired as the 1st Carrier Division. But whereas the 2nd Division (Soryu + Hiryu), 3rd Division (Hosho + Zuiho), 4th Division (Ryujo + Taiyo), and 5th Division (Shokaku + Zuikaku) pairs were almost real twins, Kaga and Akagi had severely different origins. But - as both of them were the single vessels of their classes - they were put together. Although Akagi was slimmer, longer and faster, whereas Kaga was heavier, a.s.o. We can call them siblings, but surely not twins.

It is some mental shortcut (kept alive by some people learning history on movies like Tora, Tora, Tora , Pearl Harbor or Midway) that all five Kido Butai Divisions were made up of twin ships. But they weren't. At least in case of Kaga and Akagi.

I will be very glad if you could support this opinion.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1