Airfix Jet Provost T3

I had this sitting in my stash for awhile. It was an absolute joy to build - up to the very last stage.

I had intended to do the very attractive XP629 of the Macaws display team from the Xtradecal sheet X72291.

Here is the only photo I have of the almost complete model (sitting next to my in progress Victor).

49361781892_83feaaaaa9_b.jpg

On spraying a coat of Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear from a rattle can, within seconds I got a nasty crazed look on the paint which starting lifting. Somewhat odd, as I hadn't done anything different that I was aware of from last time I used the rattle can. 

After much gnashing of teeth I stripped back the paint, and started again. This time I decided to do XN577 from the RAF College at Cranwell in the 1960s. I have a Gnat and a Vampire T11 in the stash Sio I figured it would be good practice for the silver/orange-red colour schemes. Obviously this time round I don't have a complete set of stencils, and I had to bodge up some walkways by cutting up some spare decals. Paints are Tamiya Bare Metal Silver from a rattle can, orange is a home brew of brush painted Tamiya acrylic. I scraped, sanded and polished the frame across the top of the main canopy as I gather this is correct. The lights on the nose are 1 mm little-lenses dropped into small indentations drilled in the appropriate places. A fairly light oil wash, as I guess this aircraft were kept pretty clean. Finished off with a brushed on coat of Tamiya Semi-gloss clear. She looks a bit bashed up, but I am pretty happy with the rescue job. Looks nice in the early evening sun. Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks for looking.

49398331431_5a5240ac27_b.jpg

49398543012_b29ec39e2e_b.jpg

49398542877_77619de26c_b.jpg

49398331246_a76276eac9_b.jpg

49397854228_0b41c36d68_b.jpg

49397854453_19f452063b_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
Typo correction
  • Like 62

42 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

LIDL were selling the starter sets for £5.99.may be a few still around.

Doesn’t help me 🙂 I’m all the way over in Perth, Western Australia. Local hobby shop had the latest issue at A$25

• Sad 1

She's lovely!  You say you hand painted that orange?  Did you do anything in particular to get that finish?  I did a silver and orange gnat recently and had a nightmare with the orange.  10 odd coats of brush painted acrylic and enamel, just wouldn't cover.  I've just come into possession of a Vampire which could be done in the orange/silver scheme - my initial reaction was one of horror thinking that airbrushing was the only way to get that orange right.  Looks like it can be done!

Al.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alhenderson said:

She's lovely!  You say you hand painted that orange?  Did you do anything in particular to get that finish?  I did a silver and orange gnat recently and had a nightmare with the orange.  10 odd coats of brush painted acrylic and enamel, just wouldn't cover.  I've just come into possession of a Vampire which could be done in the orange/silver scheme - my initial reaction was one of horror thinking that airbrushing was the only way to get that orange right.  Looks like it can be done!

Al.

Hi Al. I must admit I was a bit worried about coverage with the brush painting. What I did first was spray the whole airframe first with Tamiya white primer from a rattle can. I then painted the orange bits - I was surprised that it only needed a couple of brushed on coats. I then masked and sprayed the silver from a rattle can. Then all that was needed was a few little touch ups with the orange. Very happy with the result- much more confident about the Gnat and Vampire that are in the queue.

Looks fantastic Simon and I love the Cranwell scheme with the blue band,.....always a favourite and you could do quite a collection of aircraft that have worn that famous marking down the years.

I`m currently battling with the Airfix dayglow decals on my kit,......urghhh!!

Cheers

Tony

10 hours ago, SimonL said:

Hi Al. I must admit I was a bit worried about coverage with the brush painting. What I did first was spray the whole airframe first with Tamiya white primer from a rattle can. I then painted the orange bits - I was surprised that it only needed a couple of brushed on coats. I then masked and sprayed the silver from a rattle can. Then all that was needed was a few little touch ups with the orange. Very happy with the result- much more confident about the Gnat and Vampire that are in the queue.

Thanks for the info, must try that.  On my Gnat I painted the whole thing silver and then did the Orange.  I have a practise spitfire in the garage which I have sprayed white (although not primer) - might have a go at painting Orange onto that and seeing how I do.  I really like the silver and orange scheme..

Al.

• Like 1