Revell(Hasegawa) 1/72 Draken

rafalbert

Hi Göran, most of my paints are Humbrol and they are usually fine. For some reason these two didn't behave at all, causing the issues stated above. Hopefully it is not just down to me losing it!

Decals on, and rather annoyingly they don't particularly like Microsol. The topside roundels and the large number 5 have crinkled and one of the tail numbers disintigrated. Luckily I managed to repair it somewhat but I have never had this happen before. Annoying.

IMG_20200327_151656

• Like 3

Ok, this is now officially being transferred to the shelf of doom. After sealing the decals and giving the model a good coat of matt varnish, I masked the edges to paint the aluminium. The result is below. I can replace the roundels but not the numbers or the badges on the tail. Forgive me for indulging my "woe is me" side for a minute, but having not managed to finish a model since my father died last year this was supposed to kick-start me back into building. Having not really enjoyed this build I am now seriously considering giving up the hobby.

IMG_20200331_115923

• Sad 3

@rafalbert Sorry for your loss. And too bad for the Draken. Tape and decals don't really mix together well, I've had that happen too, no matter if clear coated or not :(

It sounds that you might need a break from the hobby at least. I think we've all been there. Hobby should be fun & rewarding - if not, maybe try something else for a while. And give it another go at a later date?

• Like 1

Bugger :( Sorry to hear this. Perhaps, as Reini says, a break from the hobby for a week or two will help and in the meantime some of us can help with replacement decals?

Thank you for your comments guys. Well, I have slept on it to see if I was being an over-reactive princess, but my feelings haven't changed. As per the advice above, I am stepping back from the modelling world for a while (GBs in particular) and having a break. I took stock of my current modelling status and discovered that I have 23 models in various states of conpletion. My plan is to slowly finish all of these and see if I can get the bug back. If not, I have a hell of a stash to get rid of! Good look with your models guys, they are all looking awesome so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oh dear, that's a shame!! :( I've had decals do the same before, some lift off and others don't and on the same model! As Col said maybe someone on here has some replacements for you.

Modelling is meant to be fun and if the mojo isn't there for any reason, trying to force it doesn't help. I've lost could of the number of unfinished projects i have.

I think more than a few of use have been in the same/similar situations you and it does often take time to get over.

Have a break, then maybe try to build something completely different when you're ready.

But remember you have lots of friends here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey I've been away for a while (no Covid issues other than wife and kids at home where I usually work alone).

I have some spare decals of the red 35s if you want them for free, they're in the set I'm using (but I'm doing the camo pattern marked 34 so I'll never use them) and only just got back around to my build a few days before the end of the GB!

Hope you haven't completely thrown the towel in, I kind of got disheartened when my Stuka build took a nose-dive (pun intended),

Edited by Scargsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the generosity of Scargsy, my toys are now back in the pram and the Draken is completed. That is bar the pitot tube which has gone AWOL over the last few weeks, and will be rectified when I buy a replacement. My apologies again for losing it; the break has allowed me to complete a few stalled projects and enjoy building again without any timeframes hanging over me. Once again, thank you Paul, the decals were gratefully received.

IMG_20200525_183909

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 5

well done on finishing her!! :thumbsup:

She looks great from the photo, please post some more.

I'm glad you manage to over come those dramas you had....often walking away and doing something else is the best way to get out of a hole. I do it often out of frustration...probably why I have so may shelf queens! 

But you succeeded and completed her and have done a great job.

Thank you for joining us here, was great you could and I do hope in the end it was enjoyable.....maybe not model wise! 

• Like 1

Awesome to see it reach the flight line!  Looks clean.

Glad you had a chance to clear the head.  At times this hobby can get so frustrating.  I've had several kits that have gotten temporarily sidetracked.  I'll likely get back to them...or maybe not.  I don't want to actually tally them up, but I could quite possibly have more started/unfinished kits than I have actual finished ones.  The deadlines are nice for me to have a goal to try to achieve...but if it takes longer so be it.  I'm still working on the RF-4E from the '70s NATO/Warsaw GB from 3 years ago (actually fiddled with it last night for a bit).  :waiting:  

See you on the next one...if I don't disappear for a bit again.  :rofl2:

• Like 1