Revell(Hasegawa) 1/72 Draken

rafalbert

Hi Guys,

I will be in with this as soon as I have finished my VC10 (KUTA GB). I bought it on ebay a few years ago with the intention of doing the Swedish grey scheme, but I discovered the previous owner had used those decals 🤦🏼‍♂️. Anyway, my glorious missus bought me the appropriate decal sheet (and a lot of other stuff) for Xmas 2018 so the time has come to build it!

Dave

IMG_20200117_085618

• Like 10

very nice!

for what ever reason I would have preferred to box top version :P

but then you would have needed to modify and upgrade the kit to  Draken S35oe MK2 version....

• Haha 2

True, but if I am honest I actually like the dull grey schemes (I know I am in the minority). The pretty schemes are eye-catching but to me the grey ones make them look like combat aircraft. If anyone wants the box scheme decals they are welcome to them!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

What paints will you use for the grey?

I'm tempted to do a THIRD F 10 Draken in 1:48 scale, I too think the grey camouflage looks great on the Draken and I've already ordered from MRP Grå 032 (MRP-220) and Mörkgrå 033 (MRP-221) paints but Dave be advised that these paints are only suitable for airbrushing. 

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

I'm tempted to do a THIRD F 10 Draken in 1:48 scale, I too think the grey camouflage looks great on the Draken and I've already ordered from MRP Grå 032 (MRP-220) and Mörkgrå 033 (MRP-221) paints but Dave be advised that these paints are only suitable for airbrushing. 

Those colors are totally great for Viggen , but all grey Drakens recieved a slightly darker shade of the dark color (the paint shop added 10% black to the Viggen mix) 

The reason was that Draken operated at lower level and needed a darker tone to blend in better towards the ground/water 

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Welcome along Dave, and with one of everyones favourite.

I haven't seen this release before and will be interested to see how she builds, being ex-Hasegawa it should go together quite nicely.

Good luck with the, it should be a trouble free one, and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

yeah they're only for airbrush work, they're super thin and give you an amazing finish. For me they're the best ping out there at the moment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yeah they're only for airbrush work, they're super thin and give you an amazing finish. For me they're the best ping out there at the moment.

I will have to get some 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't quite finished the VC10 but I can't wait any longer so have made a start. I discovered that the previous owner had assembled the cockpit already so simply painted it and assembled the fuselage halves. I also discovered they had attached the spine a little haphazardly so will need to address that in due course.

IMG_20200130_200834

• Like 6

I like your form Dave, starting a new kit before finishing another - I’m sure you have many friends when it comes to that! Now this is a lovely kit and I have a copy which mysteriously was missing it’s radome even though the whole contents was factory sealed. I can source a replacement from Steve over in NZ, but will watch how you get on and collect any pointers on the way. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Slow progress due to us adopting a new hound who has taken up most of my spare time whilst she is settling in. That said, the distinctive Draken shape is definitely there and I just need to do a bit of fettling on the nose and intake joints to smooth things off. I am on leave next week so should make a lot more progress.

IMG_20200220_111540

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have discovered that Humbrol 147 is probably the worst enamel I have ever tried to spray or brush. Serves me right for being tight and not buying the good stuff. Anyway, out with the oven cleaner...

• Sad 3

I am still having issues with the Humbrol stuff but we finally have some colour (well, two tone grey at least). The finish is not great and some touching up is required which I will attend yo in the next couple of days. These tins will be going in the bin as soon as I am done and I shall buy some decent paint!

IMG_20200319_201043

• Like 6

you really can't go past MRP paints!!!! They are the best I've used, just love them.

You may need to adjust your paint style a wee bit (I had to) but once you start using them you'll never go back!

• Like 1

Hi! What kind of Humbrol paint do you use, enamel or acrylic? I often  use Humbrol enamel and when I airbrush I use cellulose thinner with a ratio of 1part paint 1part thinner. When I brush paint it I use turpentine to thin the paint. I have seldom any trouble with Humbrols enamel. Even I use acrylic paints nowadays mostly Gunze, Mr Hobby, Tamiya etc but I have not tried MRP paint yet.

Regards Göran