Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

rossm

DHC-8 srs100 collision lights - where?

Recommended Posts

As the title - please does anyone know where the anti-collision lights are on a Dash 8 srs100? Specifically G-BRYH in 1991 as the photos linked below if that makes any difference but I'm happy to do a generic fit.

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rosedale7175/38278652554

 

http://saadonline.uk/wp-content/uploads/Brymon-DHC8-G-BRYH.jpg

 

Looks to me like there's one on the top of the fin and one under the fuselage but are there any above the wing or fuselage?

 

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ross,


I'm trying to get my dad onto Britmodeller. He was with Brymon for a while in Engineering and knew their fleet well. I have some of the Dash-7 documentation, and recall a little of their Dash 8-300s but virtually nothing of the 100s.

 

@skyscooter should do the trick...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Ross,


I'm trying to get my dad onto Britmodeller. He was with Brymon for a while in Engineering and knew their fleet well. I have some of the Dash-7 documentation, and recall a little of their Dash 8-300s but virtually nothing of the 100s.

 

@skyscooter should do the trick...

G-BRYH was one of my aircraft, it was one of the DHC8-100 series DHC8-101 to be precise..

They only had 1 anti-coll light which was right in the centre on the top of the tailplane, it was a slow flashing bulb as in it wasn't a strobe light. it had an aerodynamic lense.

 

The 300 series had 2 anti-colls one on top of the tailplane & the other under the the fuselage just forward of the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, skyscooter said:

G-BRYH was one of my aircraft, it was one of the DHC8-100 series DHC8-101 to be precise..

They only had 1 anti-coll light which was right in the centre on the top of the tailplane, it was a slow flashing bulb as in it wasn't a strobe light. it had an aerodynamic lense.

 

The 300 series had 2 anti-colls one on top of the tailplane & the other under the the fuselage just forward of the middle.

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to confirm what skyscooter just said, the 100s I used to fly only had the one beacon on the tail. They’d flash bright/dim, about 1 cycle per second, like an F-4’s beacon. There was a white nav light on the aft fuselage above the tail cone vent. There were two wing tip nav lights and a strobe under a clear fairing on the wing tips. Only one nav light at a time was lit. The other was a standby, but I don’t remember how we’d switch them. It’s only been 30 years!😁

 

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Just to confirm what skyscooter just said, the 100s I used to fly only had the one beacon on the tail. They’d flash bright/dim, about 1 cycle per second, like an F-4’s beacon. There was a white nav light on the aft fuselage above the tail cone vent. There were two wing tip nav lights and a strobe under a clear fairing on the wing tips. Only one nav light at a time was lit. The other was a standby, but I don’t remember how we’d switch them. It’s only been 30 years!😁

 

Ben

Ah, those strobe lights aren't present - were they above the wing a couple of feet in from the tip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rossm said:

Ah, those strobe lights aren't present - were they above the wing a couple of feet in from the tip?

Ours were inside the clear cover on the wingtips, forward of the two nav lights. They’re visible in the walk around here on Britmodeller: LINK   There was(were) also a strobe(s) on the very aft end of the fuselage, also visible in the walk around. Forgot all about those! That said, the strobes may have been an optional accessory. They don’t seem to be present on this -400: LINK  

 

 


Thanks for letting me dredge up some old memories! The Dash-8 wasn’t the fastest thing in the air, but it was one of my favorites. I used to look at it from a modelers perspective, too, so a lot of these geek details have stuck with me! 😁
 

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, Ben Brown said:

Just to confirm what skyscooter just said, the 100s I used to fly only had the one beacon on the tail. They’d flash bright/dim, about 1 cycle per second, like an F-4’s beacon. There was a white nav light on the aft fuselage above the tail cone vent. There were two wing tip nav lights and a strobe under a clear fairing on the wing tips. Only one nav light at a time was lit. The other was a standby, but I don’t remember how we’d switch them. It’s only been 30 years!😁

 

Ben

Hi Ben,

 

The nav light switch over was automatic, on changing the blown light bulb it reverted back to the front bub again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...