DHC-8 srs100 collision lights - where?

rossm

As the title - please does anyone know where the anti-collision lights are on a Dash 8 srs100? Specifically G-BRYH in 1991 as the photos linked below if that makes any difference but I'm happy to do a generic fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rosedale7175/38278652554

http://saadonline.uk/wp-content/uploads/Brymon-DHC8-G-BRYH.jpg

Looks to me like there's one on the top of the fin and one under the fuselage but are there any above the wing or fuselage?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Hi Ross,

I'm trying to get my dad onto Britmodeller. He was with Brymon for a while in Engineering and knew their fleet well. I have some of the Dash-7 documentation, and recall a little of their Dash 8-300s but virtually nothing of the 100s.

@skyscooter should do the trick...

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Ross,

I'm trying to get my dad onto Britmodeller. He was with Brymon for a while in Engineering and knew their fleet well. I have some of the Dash-7 documentation, and recall a little of their Dash 8-300s but virtually nothing of the 100s.

@skyscooter should do the trick...

G-BRYH was one of my aircraft, it was one of the DHC8-100 series DHC8-101 to be precise..

They only had 1 anti-coll light which was right in the centre on the top of the tailplane, it was a slow flashing bulb as in it wasn't a strobe light. it had an aerodynamic lense.

The 300 series had 2 anti-colls one on top of the tailplane & the other under the the fuselage just forward of the middle.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, skyscooter said:

G-BRYH was one of my aircraft, it was one of the DHC8-100 series DHC8-101 to be precise..

They only had 1 anti-coll light which was right in the centre on the top of the tailplane, it was a slow flashing bulb as in it wasn't a strobe light. it had an aerodynamic lense.

The 300 series had 2 anti-colls one on top of the tailplane & the other under the the fuselage just forward of the middle.

Thank you

Just to confirm what skyscooter just said, the 100s I used to fly only had the one beacon on the tail. They’d flash bright/dim, about 1 cycle per second, like an F-4’s beacon. There was a white nav light on the aft fuselage above the tail cone vent. There were two wing tip nav lights and a strobe under a clear fairing on the wing tips. Only one nav light at a time was lit. The other was a standby, but I don’t remember how we’d switch them. It’s only been 30 years!😁

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Just to confirm what skyscooter just said, the 100s I used to fly only had the one beacon on the tail. They’d flash bright/dim, about 1 cycle per second, like an F-4’s beacon. There was a white nav light on the aft fuselage above the tail cone vent. There were two wing tip nav lights and a strobe under a clear fairing on the wing tips. Only one nav light at a time was lit. The other was a standby, but I don’t remember how we’d switch them. It’s only been 30 years!😁

Ben

Ah, those strobe lights aren't present - were they above the wing a couple of feet in from the tip?

1 hour ago, rossm said:

Ah, those strobe lights aren't present - were they above the wing a couple of feet in from the tip?

Ours were inside the clear cover on the wingtips, forward of the two nav lights. They’re visible in the walk around here on Britmodeller: LINK   There was(were) also a strobe(s) on the very aft end of the fuselage, also visible in the walk around. Forgot all about those! That said, the strobes may have been an optional accessory. They don’t seem to be present on this -400: LINK  

Thanks for letting me dredge up some old memories! The Dash-8 wasn’t the fastest thing in the air, but it was one of my favorites. I used to look at it from a modelers perspective, too, so a lot of these geek details have stuck with me! 😁

Ben 

Edited by Ben Brown

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 7:03 PM, Ben Brown said:

Ben

Hi Ben,

The nav light switch over was automatic, on changing the blown light bulb it reverted back to the front bub again.

• 2 weeks later...