Rajavartiolaitos Dornier Do 228 OH-MVN

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Time for some boxing :D

49476281357_b63ea018c8_b.jpg

49476281237_71fe69c2e1_b.jpg

Looks very agricultural at his stage before removing the excess plastic

49476281132_09a75709ab_b.jpg

After removing a lot of the excess plastic it was time to create new windows and fill those in the wrong locations.

49476281392_768253cb22_b.jpg

I ended up popping the existing clear parts out so I could remove the windows that will be filled and relocate them to the new locations. I am still short a couple that I will have to make from CD case clear plastic

49476281477_9267eecd00_b.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice work Ray, you know I think you may have a future is stretching Limo's!! :D

A stretched Toyota Camry....now there's something to give you nightmares! :rofl2:

And yet a stretched Camry would probably look a lot less silly than some of the stretched limos you see around here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, zebra said:

And yet a stretched Camry would probably look a lot less silly than some of the stretched limos you see around here!

too true unfortunately! They're very popular out in the western suburbs up here!!!!

• Like 1

A little bit of sanding done ( twice) with another round to follow

49529623182_4f88b8efc2_b.jpg

and with a guest correct length fuselage for comparison (picked it up last week from a friend, what to do with a kit that does not need mods?). Got the length pretty much spot on with the stretched -100

49529394846_9fc0422083_b.jpg

and another test fit of wings and engines

49529623207_c2a3f3ab8c_b.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

I have been putting this on off for a while as I had a few easier builds to go on with. Now they are nearing completion I decided to get this one back on track.

The main thing putting me off was making the search radar. I had been thinking about how I was going to make the shape up, initially I was going to use laminated plastic sheet then I recall picking up some green stuff some time ago. I dived into the supplies and found it. First I made base template out of sheet styrene and then mixed the 2 part putty together.  I shaped to roughly what it should look like and then left it to set. At this time I also made up the two SLAR antennas

49607017491_62f366324e_b.jpg

Next the radome was sanded and filed down to refine the shape and SLAR also tidied up

49607017461_0fcd193bb1_b.jpg

A test fit showed the radome was too deep so I removed the base plate template

49607268397_7364d75e2b_b.jpg

At this time I started to add the mounting fixtures for the SLAR and the turret mount that lives on one of the main landing gear sponsons

49606507063_b969ba6b3a_b.jpg

49607268362_2f11f0a4bc_b.jpg

And then time to a test fit is the parts, the search radar radome received a couple of more sanding sessions to reduce the depth again as I thought it was still too large

49607268302_d677a96bb0_b.jpg

49607268292_6d0cb9a44a_b.jpg

I was glad to find the kit included some of the antennas I was planning to scratch build so that will speed things up. I need to putty in the windscreen and mask off the clear parts in prep for priming soon.

That's all for now.

• Like 13

I've not viewed this thread in a while, but boy what great progress Ray. That's just looking fantastic and all the medications look very well done indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

really nice job Ray.

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've not viewed this thread in a while, but boy what great progress Ray. That's just looking fantastic and all the medications look very well done indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Arrr Dave I think you need to lay off the medications before you do any modifications......just saying! :D

• Haha 2

Ha! Don’t you just love predictive text and typing in a hurry? I think I might leave it, however am sure Ray knows what I’m trying to get at! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ha! Don’t you just love predictive text and typing in a hurry? I think I might leave it, however am sure Ray knows what I’m trying to get at! 
Cheers.. Dave 

That's fine Dave, I had yesterday off and got some modifications medications for a sinus infection. That is how I was able to progress the build. Not much to watch on TV/Netflix so I sat at the bench most of the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Not much to watch on TV/Netflix so I sat at the bench most of the day

or there is!!!! the second series of "Altered Carbon" :yahoo:(have started watching the first series again), that new series "The Stranger" :thumbsup:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

or there is!!!! the second series of "Altered Carbon" :yahoo:(have started watching the first series again), that new series "The Stranger" :thumbsup:

Started to watch Altered Carbon a while ago and could not get into it. Might have to revisit it.