A34 Comet

nice clean build... really do wish i could airbrush as well as most people... i think i am just terrible at cleaning and then mixing paint correctly...

Cheers Mate, much appreciated, this was my very first use of an Airbrush, Hataka Red Line, Badger Stynlrez and VMS varnish, all straight out the jar no mixing, it  was seeing these that tempted me to try, one mistake I made I didn’t realise I had a .2 needle in for the primer to start so clogging was bad, once a.6 was in no problem with a .2 for paint and varnish 

cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers all, very much appreciated,

started weathering, not sure if I like it so far, using ideas gleaned on the various posts, dusty filter wash all over, thinned down brown ink allowed to flow in gaps and lines, little bit of oily steel to try add some chips, and one big stuff up, tried AK NATO rain marks, next thing I know I have taken paint off and damaged a decal, till I doubt markings would be perfect all the time, but no idea how I stuffed it up, some of you guys make weathering look easy

A34 Comet first weathering attempts

Flash from camera makes it look harsher than it really is, trying to get a dusty overall effect that has been rained on a few times , going to add a little rust in places and then some Dried mud and crud.

any pointers gratefully accepted

cheers

Mark

• Like 10

To my eye, that doesn't need much more weathering, of course it depends on what you want but being a firm adherent of the less is more school, I'd look to give the road wheels a bit more grime & leave it at that. It would be easy to go too far with it to my mind.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark, if I might ask, how did you apply the AK rain mark's and upon what sort of surface? (basically had you sealed the decals with a coat of varnish prior to weathering)

IMO, I'd weather the hull behind the wheels, as that looks clean and factory fresh where as the chances are that would be grubbier than the upper surface.

If I can help feel free to ask.

Atb

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with what's already been said. Bit more weathering to the parts that always get dirty ie; running gear and lower hull, and I echo what Darryl said about sealing the decals in with varnish.

John.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Mark, if I might ask, how did you apply the AK rain mark's and upon what sort of surface? (basically had you sealed the decals with a coat of varnish prior to weathering)

IMO, I'd weather the hull behind the wheels, as that looks clean and factory fresh where as the chances are that would be grubbier than the upper surface.

If I can help feel free to ask.

Atb

Darryl 

Aaarrrggghhhhh that’s it, I varnished the paint, but never went back over the decals again before attacking it, Rainmarks were added in fine lines vertical and then a moist brush, but I just could not seem to get it to look right, so a bit more thinner to remove and that must be what ruined the decal.

Cheers Daryl, response is much appreciated thank you

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

Aaarrrggghhhhh that’s it, I varnished the paint, but never went back over the decals again before attacking it, Rainmarks were added in fine lines vertical and then a moist brush, but I just could not seem to get it to look right, so a bit more thinner to remove and that must be what ruined the decal.

Cheers Daryl, response is much appreciated thank you

Fine vertical lines are spot on, then as you say a moistened brush, i use white spirit, quick wipe on a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess and then vertical lines downwards or in direction of airflow. (Not ideal for a flat or horizontal surface but can be made to work).

Initially I'd do a small area at once, give the rain marks a few mins to start to dry and then start wiping it downwards. Pick obvious points where the "staining" would run from, corners, a row of rivets etc.

Hope this helps.

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for replies all,  I pretty happy with it for first go at weathering, I am going to put it on this diorama base

http://www.davecoleysemporium.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p6959_AV-Vallejo-Scenics-VALSC103-1_35th-scale-Country-Railway-Crossroads-31cm-x-21cm.html

Seeing some amazing work on here, I would never have thought it ok to have a vehicle overhanging the base a bit, so I may look at the Comet coming down off the tracks with the Firefly along tracks with a few figures dismounted etc 🤔

hoping to make it look mainly dried mud, rubble strewn area bit more research to do on diorama side of things though.

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Fine vertical lines are spot on, then as you say a moistened brush, i use white spirit, quick wipe on a kitchen towel to get rid of the excess and then vertical lines downwards or in direction of airflow. (Not ideal for a flat or horizontal surface but can be made to work).

Initially I'd do a small area at once, give the rain marks a few mins to start to dry and then start wiping it downwards. Pick obvious points where the "staining" would run from, corners, a row of rivets etc.

Hope this helps.

Darryl 

Certainly does thank you, will do some varnishing later then try some subtle rainmarks again👍👍👍👍

Hi All,

Thanks for following,

Have done a little more, but need to tidy a couple of bits up, some rust wash etc on tyres, very pleased with how the front end looks, little bit of natural looking dirt and that will be it, plus a box or two here and there 🙂 

A34 Comet Weathering bit of rust added

Hope you like it,

Hints tips always appreciated, most of what has been don has been from reading up on here, so big thanks to all who share how to`s

Cheers

Mark

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Little bit more done, found a nice extra strong cotton that has the right colour for rope, used some to see how tying down the tow cable looks on the rear, and got the Star decals to replace the one I ruined, had to do both sides as the Star IRON DUKE IV were smaller - are Bronc too big ?  also added the front number which is not in the Bronco decals.

49894295571_0f6215e48f_b.jpgA34 Comet by Mark Bentley, on Flickr

Original Iron Duke painted out

49893781733_d2487a6f8a_b.jpgA34 Comet by Mark Bentley, on Flickr

49894295626_c388d75fb3_b.jpgA34 Comet by Mark Bentley, on Flickr

49894295631_2529d5c218_b.jpgA34 Comet by Mark Bentley, on Flickr

49895011743_70b3c8d2fb_b.jpgA34 front number added by Mark Bentley, on Flickr

Need to upload a photo of new Turret decals when I am off

Cheers

Mark

• Like 8

It's looking good Mark. I use cotton and rope from ship modelling store, and the way that I get rid of the "hairy" effect (when I remember to do it), is to get a drop of PVA glue on my thumb, and then pull the cotton/rope between thumb and index finger, and then leave it aside to dry. It's still fairly flexible once it's hardened.

John.

• Like 2

Triffic thanks mate, will try that, its all learning 😀 the flash on camera makes a lot of it stand out more than just Mk 1 Eyeball sees, not much more to do other than some actual mud here and there and stowage. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As with the a firefly started adding mud, mainly dried on splashes with a bit of wet and damp. 

A34 Comet, started adding mud.

Bit more to add in places, just basing it on what I have seen on excercises in Germany, little bit goes a long way and can plaster a vehicle top to bottom. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Comet nearly finished, stowage and a figure or two should do it, gone a tad ott with mud I think tried to use what I have seen on excercises as ideas, even dry conditions with a couple of water splashes can cover a vehicle, had a few issues worst was knocking over a whole bottle of an enamel wash over it, ruined lots I had done, must be more careful. 

A34 Comet, Nearly finished, not bad for first build for over 25 years if memory serves.

A34 Comet, Nearly finished, not bad for first build for over 25 years if memory serves.

Cheers for looking

Mark

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel, Sorry I thought I had replied ages ago, I used a Filter called General Dust by mig Productions oval shaped bottle large Red Star, I just painted it on and let dry, some areas I used a pipette and let drops run into areas, more luck than skill mate 😀

cheers

Mark