A34 Comet

Could well be a tad out, its the Aber barrel for the Comet, if I put The turret on facing rear, the muzzle overhangs by 15mm, not many pics of the turret facing rear that I could find but those that sort of show it seem to overhang a bit so it will do 👍👍😀😀

17 hours ago, mbthejester said:

Could well be a tad out, its the Aber barrel for the Comet, if I put The turret on facing rear, the muzzle overhangs by 15mm, not many pics of the turret facing rear that I could find but those that sort of show it seem to overhang a bit so it will do 👍👍😀😀

Probably not going to help because the breech is not visible but in 1/35 scale the 77mm barrel measured from the front of the breech block would be 120.8mm long and the 17pr would be 136.4mm.

Brilliant, not far off then 

A34 barrel measurement.

Something different, roughly what colours would be used under the top colour, would like to try light scratches to paint so base shows through, as well as down to bare metal, having worn Ammo boots, I know what they can do to surfaces alone and as they were field use at the time they must have caused some damage. 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

Tank Crews wore Ammo Boots but they didn't have hobnails in the soles to prevent damage. Infantry rode on tanks so their crunchy boots would cause damage to the engine deck.

Nice snippet of info, cheers - that is def something I did not know thanks

Done a bit of priming - never primed before and my first use of an airbrush, I think it went pretty well for a first, bit more to do, couple of areas not covered fully, only issue clogging/paint drying on needle, used the Badger Stanylrez, as it had some half decent reviews and did not need thinning so no need to experiment, still got some of the wheels to do as it was getting late due to cleaning to brush.

A34 Comet priming A34 Comet priming

A34 Comet priming

Blown away by how well the primer dried, even where I thought I was a bit heavy and had a run or two, it has settled down, and the detail it has pulled up, tiniest sanding marks, oh well it is  tank after all and battered they got lol.

Cheers

Mark

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mbthejester said:

only issue clogging/paint drying on needle, 

To cut down on clogging when you want to stop spraying paint keep the air flowing for a second. It will blow the paint off the needle tip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Not done anything for a few weeks for various reasons,  found out why I had a few issues priming, I had a .2 needle in lol, not a .6

have done most of the main painting now, Hataka scc15 airbrush ready, went on pretty good - thankfully,  few bits to touch up, and must do gun again, ruined that somehow, think I may have caught it when handling and hadn't dried enough.

Started on the tracks, using AK burnishing fluid, I think they came out OK for a first attempt, add a bit of a light ish rust here and there and bring the road contact areas and should look pretty good.

A34 tracks - painting started

Turret just resting on the hull, used steel wire for cables and stuck them in the track fluid too, not sure about the colour for the tools, used oily steel, ok ish I think, but unsure about the wooden handle colour, Stuff I used in the 80`s was painted Green, not sure about WW2 and you can see the barrel yikes ....

A34 first coats of Green, barrel needs doing again

Blu Tack blob has the BESA MG barrel held in it

A34 Comet rear A34 Comet Front hull

Couple of marks to sort on the wheels, may just rub a bit of graphite on them, cover marks and add a little extra shiny rubber effect, again a new thing for me to try.

A34 Comet sitting low as torsion bars not fixed yet

A34 Comet top deck, cables and tools.

Still a bit to do but getting there, wont be long before I start the base for my first diorama, whats the opinion for best colour for the MG barrels ? I used Gunmetal, but erring on a almost satin black as per GPMG`s and SLRs

any pointers gladly accepted

Cheers

Mark

• Like 5

14 hours ago, mbthejester said:

whats the opinion for best colour for the MG barrels ?

Basically, I only have use for .303 and .50 Cal MG's with their cooling jackets. I paint mine matt black, and then give them a wash with some Mig's dark wash and then finally a light dry brushing with some Extra Colour Oily Steel.

John.

A34 Comet

Road wheels are not fixed and I think I need to remove a link or two, but I am liking my first build for over 20 years

A34 Comet Barrel redone

Barrel redone easier than I thought looks much better, will paint mantlet cover in more suitable Green for canvas

cheers

Mark

• Like 9

Two links removed each side, possibly one would have done it, pulled them around enough for now 

A34 Comet tracks shortened

Gave road contact areas a rough polish, don’t think it shows in pics but did it along track rather than across

A34 Comet tracks nearly done

cheers

Mark

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Bulk of the work is done I think, few bit to touch up here and there, decals on, day or so for them to dry out properly and then a coat of varnish, might go for a gloss one, then have a bash at weathering, finishing with a Matt or satin, not enough spare metal track links left, so used kit ones.

totally pleased and well chuffed wi how it’s turned out. Not sure about the mantlet cover colour though. 

A34 Comet Ironduke IV progressing nicely

A34 Comet Ironduke IV 1 RTR 7 Armoured Div Aril 1945

A34 Comet Slowly getting there

A34 Comet Rear deck and tools

Cheers

Mark

• Like 11

Thanks Roger, very much appreciated, genuinely first build for 25 plus years, never used an airbrush and this is first attempt at detailing/weathering, most importantly I am enjoying it, except pe and ca lol 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Cheers mate much appreciated,  your stolly looks mint, I have the AA CrAARV to do, after the bits for this, not looking forward to it, especially with what I think is pretty poor moldings, some quite large lumps molded in big pieces, will do another couple of mormal ish ones before I ruin it 😁

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mbthejester said:

I have the AA CrAARV to do

Have a look at my build of the AA CRARRV it may be of some help if you've not already seen it

Roger

• Thanks 1

Cheers John, so many canvas colour variations to choose from and very lie if any colour Comet photos from the period.

Coat of Matt Vanish now done, needs a few days to harden before I risk ruining it with weathering 

this is as far as I have gone before - just of the production line 

A34 Comet Matt Varnish Protection coat

Really pleased with how it has come out, while varnish hardens for a while I have started another 😃 Ryefield Firefly VC, dropped a bit on floor found it eventually and with it was one of the turret lifting lugs from the Comet I thought had gone forever.

going to have a trawl through the forum for advice on weathering, some chips and dinks rust dust bit of light mud faded and scratches etc 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 7