A34 Comet

Hi all,

My first model for a very long time, I was going to do the Trumpeter enhanced armour chally with eduard etch bits, but thought I would keep it a bit simpler to start with,  so out of the kits acquired so far, the Chally, AA CrAARV on chally 1mk3 and Takom 432, I am going to attempt the Bronco A34 Comet (all the kits have a bit of a personal touch in real Armour except CrAARV), so first photo is the tracks

found these and couldn’t resist them by Masterclub, so far pretty impressed and happy, going together easily not rushing them taken about 2 hours per 50 link length 

A34 Comet tracks by Masterclub

• Like 4

I'll second that, the Bronco kit looks good straight out of the box, but has a few details that are on the soft side that can be improved to make it that bit better, notably grab handles that are moulded solid, and as John already mentions the mantlet cover as most pics show this fitted.

I've got a shelf queen of one of the second edition kits with the separate link tracks in plastic instead of the rubber bands in the first edition kits and to fair to Bronco they assemble easily and are pretty effective, I like the look of those Masterclub tracks though, might have to get a set of those if I get another Comet.

• Like 1

When I first saw the tracks I thought no way, but even the minuscule pins with a bit of TLC are not bad at all, have to add, I have never done a kit other than out of the box, so these are something new for me, let alone venturing into resin and etched add ons , but nothing ventured nothing gained 😀, after a little trial I found carefully pushing links together then a gentle ream with drill, push first pin in, flip over and ream other side and push in second pin, if pin seems tight, gently wiggle links and push pin in.

cheers

Mark

Very impressed with moulding quality, almost zero flash, things have come on in recent years 😀

also parts have all been washed and rinsed in warm mild soapy water, another first for me, start building in a few days. 

A34 Comet Parts

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

Started working on the parts, trimming off sprues, bit of filing etc.

A34

Just about all the parts that are either not too small or easily identified have been done, more than in the pic

A34

nearly finished cleaning off the moulded handles on the engine deck BUT ........

A34

I got two of the Accurate Armour update sets for it, bodywork bits and gun and mantlet, this is one of the handles for the rear deck, not managed to get one off that I can use, tried various ways of removing them and no joy, ones that came of whole did not leave enough resin to make a handle, so thin that you cannot get a scalpel blade underneath, so may as well just stick a bit of plastruct flush on the deck lol, some of the other bits don’t seem to be as good as the kit parts to me too, maybe try and use some steel wire or rod and bend them to make handles, the tails can be as long as need to make handling easier, handle width on a real one would be about 2cm so 0.3mm would be a sensible size to work with and scale ? Thoughts anyone

A34

A34

Gun mantlet going a bit easier though, fair bit of turret base to file away, slowly getting there, but most importantly I am enjoying it and finding it relaxing.

cheers

Mark

• Like 4

Great start. Looking at the size of those resin handles it will probably be easier to make them from wire as you say. I’ve got this in the stash with the accurate armour detail upgrade and legend turret set so will be watching closely to see how the AA stuff fits with the kit.

• Like 1

Don’t think I will be using to much of the AA bits and bobs, maybe expecting too much, but I am not that impressed with the quality.

Parts of A34

AA mantlet, on left is AA Besa broke barrel of trying to straighten it, on right is the the Besa mount from the Bronco turret, I have cut it away and will use that with a separate barrel.

CrAARV BITS

AA bow Besa, not very impressed, and a couple of parts from the CrAARV kit, again pretty disappointed to see such large parts all moulded in one piece, especially for the price, going to have a bash at cutting away the storage bin and building one to put bits in, and will separate the lifting beam to use the standalone one you can buy, shame they moulded the beam into one part.

my first play with resin parts, expecting too much ? 

cheers

Mark

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 08:08, Bullbasket said:

If you want some walkaround photos, take a look here; http://svsm.org/gallery/Comet

John.

Cheers for that great pics, especially of the mantlet, I worked on a Comet at Duxford, but no canvas mantlet cover, here are my pics of the Duxford ones, I worked on the one out side mainly, but interior shots are from the one inside while I was fitting the bow Besa

A34 Comet

cheers

Mark

• Like 2

Thanks John, much appreciated, allowing that they get bent etc is why I am happy with them, not all same size exactly but can live with them 🙂I was pretty disappointed with the AA stuff on this and the CrAARV, for the money was expecting much better. 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1

I reckon you could, I tried to keep them a tad under 5mm wide and used square needle file to bend around, hard bit was trying to get the corners the same everytime, the wire I got from hobbycraft in their flower arranging section, aprox 30 lengths of 7 inch long wire 75p 

cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Like 1

Gives a good impression of how narrow the Comet/Cromwell hull was. I had a good look in a Comet range wreck once and couldn't see how the loader operated in his tiny space. He must have had the feet and legs of a ballerina, the upper body of a Gorilla and no head.

Edited by Mike
Removing large photo-quote.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Started the assembly, on the whole pretty straightforward, my skills letting it down, must be more careful with glue 

A34 Comet

Torsion ams fitted tight, so a gamble I cut the pins of the hull so they can pivot, hoping to get wheels set going over rough ground.

A34 Comet

Bit of a fit problem, made worse by my sanding ooppps

A34 Comet

all in all looking not bad 

A34 Comet

small part just in front of drivers hatch is in wrong place from pics of real ones, has been cut off and replaced now.

A34 Bow BESA

Bow BESA, AA on left original on right with Aber barrel, another AA part in bin.

A34 exhaust shrouds

Blanking. Plates are too big and was not concentrating properly, not decided which exhaust cowls to use.

A34 Turret

I cut the BESA mount of the Bronco Turret, and have drilled through too fit the Aber mg, also fitted the Aber 17 Pounder, the AA one is in the bin, struggled with the birdcage sight, so leaving it as a damaged one, bit of artistic licence.

A34 Turret mg and sight

poor quality AA BESA on mantlet for comparison, arrived with barrel broken off to.

A34 3 RTR 1945

super reference photo from public domain 3 RTR same as decals with kit, field added basket over track guard, and cannot workout how the. Jerry cans are fixed to turret, but nice ideas to make my model a bit different.

cheers for looking, tips advice much appreciated.

Mark

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

cannot workout how the. Jerry cans are fixed to turret, but nice ideas to make my model a bit different.

It looks like they are hooked onto something, track hanger or similar? and then secured with some rope.  I agree with you, the resin can be a let down, especially for the price.  When I replace hatch handles I have several materials that I use, from model railway suppliers I get brass rod in various thickness's from 0.2 mm to 0.5 mm, it bends easily and  to get the handles the same width and 90 degree angles I have a pair of tapered nose pliers that I fold the wire round, works for me.  Good work with the Comet, I have one in the stash waiting patiently.

Cheers mate, overall im very happy with it, lots of first on this for me, And going to cut turret track hangers off and use brass rod for some metal ones, I thought they may have welded the cans on and filled with concrete, soon be painting, and airbrush for first time too 😀👍

Remember the Comet didn't use the 17lb gun, it was known as the 77mm.  It could be the camera angle, but the barrel you have fitted looks a bit long, the 77mm used a shorter version.  Same ammunition, but cartridge and breach from the 3" AA gun to make it all fit in the turret.

Tim

1 hour ago, Fishbed said:

Remember the Comet didn't use the 17lb gun, it was known as the 77mm.  It could be the camera angle, but the barrel you have fitted looks a bit long, the 77mm used a shorter version.  Same ammunition, but cartridge and breach from the 3" AA gun to make it all fit in the turret.

Tim

The 77mm used the barrel and breech from the Vickers 75mm HV gun. The 3" 20cwt AA gun was an old design not up to the high pressures plus most versions had a screw breech. All it took from the 3" 20cwt was as you said the powder cartridge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1