Revell 1/72 Junkers Ju-87B/R Stuka

Smudge

Hello, Chaps.

I have been having a sort out of my kit 'stash' and found this oldie, and thought about 'disposing' of it. Then I saw the Stuka GB, and thought I might join in, if I may?

Probably have a root about for some decals, as I'm sure I have a couple of Stukas on some 'mixed types' sheets.

I always liked the engine detail on this one, so might have a bash at doing something with that.

2020-01-16_10-21-18

2020-01-16_10-21-53

Thank you.

• Like 10

Hi Smudge,

I did start this same kit at least 20 years ago! Only difference, mine is molded in dark green plastic.

It has some decent details for its time, and I am interested to see what it will look like when you are finished with it!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks, Guys.

For an old kit it does have some very nice panel line and surface detail. Unfortunately the canopy is all one piece, but the cockpit is of course quite sparse, so maybe no bad thing. Looks like it should scrub up ok though.

Ok, so were off.

This is the radiator front fitted inside the nose.

20200121_194937

Some nice cockpit detail. (for it's time!)

20200121_195404

Test fitted in place, with the control panel and engine bulkhead cemented in.

20200121_195043

Some parts cleaned up. The prop and spinner are all one piece, and needs a little bit of attention.

20200121_195230

The engine. Possibility of leaving the cowling off and doing some detailing. Need to find some references really.

20200121_195314

20200121_195303

The one part canopy. I think I might have a go at cutting this into the various sections, for an 'open' look.

20200121_195132

Enjoyable work so far. 

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I would think twice about cutting that canopy.  It looks rather thick and  might not sit well when open. You could try a vac canopy. 

I do concur with Greg. Cutting this canopy may end up in disaster!

This looks good!

JR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greg Law said:

It looks rather thick and  might not sit well when open. You could try a vac canopy. 

1 hour ago, jean said:

I do concur with Greg. Cutting this canopy may end up in disaster!

Yes, I have to agree. It doesn't look promising :(

I'll have a think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Basilisk. It's really quite a nice kit.

Been tinkering away. Here are a few pictures.

This is the kit instrument panel and decal.

20200203_193630_001

And the cockpit, with some tape seatbelts.

20200203_193936

20200203_193945

Probably won't be able to see much through the canopy, but we'll know it's there.

The wheels are really rather good, which is a shame as they are now hidden in the spats. The spats need a little persuasion to fit tightly together.

20200203_193811

This is the underside of the wings. The flaps and ailerons are all one piece. I should probably try and separate them.

20200203_193828

I'm still not sure what 'scheme' to finish it in. 

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

On 2/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, Smudge said:

Thank you, Basilisk. It's really quite a nice kit.

Been tinkering away. Here are a few pictures.

This is the kit instrument panel and decal.

20200203_193630_001

And the cockpit, with some tape seatbelts.

20200203_193936

20200203_193945

Probably won't be able to see much through the canopy, but we'll know it's there.

The wheels are really rather good, which is a shame as they are now hidden in the spats. The spats need a little persuasion to fit tightly together.

20200203_193811

This is the underside of the wings. The flaps and ailerons are all one piece. I should probably try and separate them.

Hi, Smudge,

good progress!!!

This old kit is quite surprising, as it offers the occasional very detailed parts.

The IP decal is actually spot on: a perfect rendition of the original, at a time when few manufacturers offered more than a flat piece of plastic or some crude, raised lines supposed to look like dials!

The wheels are actually better looking than the ones in the "new tool"Airfix I am busy building.

As for the ailerons and flaps, I did separate them from the wing... Although it allowed me to make everything razor sharp, I have regretted my decision ever since...

My advice: if you want a fairly quick build, don't!

Keep having fun with this Stuka

JR

I think I have decided on a scheme. I have two decal sheets which have markings for a Ju-87R-2/Trop of 6/St.G 2 with the 'Sand Snake' marking. 

Almark with the sand coloured snake

20200207_211604

And Crazy Modeler with a red coloured snake.

2020-02-07_09-23-58

There are a couple of other choices, but I'm really drawn to the red snake marked T6+MP.

The red snake divides opinion as to whether or not it was ever red, the sand coloured version being the accepted colour. However, as building this old Revell kit is just a bit of fun, well why not.

I do like the 'red circle with the dog' marking of II/St.G 2 but the overall finish is a little dull, being green over light blue.

So many choices :unsure:

• Like 3

The snake is supposed to be sand colored and possibly only on one side.... Life is too short for this type of scheme!

I will join the general chorus: "Do it red, and do it on both sides!!!!"

I have always dreamed of doing such a Stuka.

Enjoy.

JR

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the construction and filling is now complete. I decided against leaving the engine exposed as obviously this would have required quite a bit of additional scratch building, and in any case would not really suit the 'Desert Snake' scheme. The join of the cowling is not great, so I used a little filler, but I'm not sure if I have gone too far, as I think maybe the real thing wasn't great at this point?

I did cut out the rudder and replace it slightly offset, and ran a razor saw between the flaps and ailerons for some added detail. Also had to add the machine gun armament to the wings, as these were not represented in the kit.

2020-02-20_10-38-49

I opted for the long range tanks, as the bombs weren't great, and these seem to be more suitable for an 'R version.

2020-02-20_10-39-08

Need to start sorting out my paints.

Cheers.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2020 at 18:03, Smudge said:

Most of the construction and filling is now complete. I decided against leaving the engine exposed as obviously this would have required quite a bit of additional scratch building, and in any case would not really suit the 'Desert Snake' scheme. The join of the cowling is not great, so I used a little filler, but I'm not sure if I have gone too far, as I think maybe the real thing wasn't great at this point?

I did cut out the rudder and replace it slightly offset, and ran a razor saw between the flaps and ailerons for some added detail. Also had to add the machine gun armament to the wings, as these were not represented in the kit.

I opted for the long range tanks, as the bombs weren't great, and these seem to be more suitable for an 'R version.

Need to start sorting out my paints.

Cheers.

Lovely build going on here - I never thought to see that amount of detail in one of the 'small' 1/72 kits. Maybe it reaped the benefit of having a 1/32 scale moulding to scale down from (I'm a red snake fan too!). Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing paint on this one. All the best. Mike

• Like 1