Allison Mustang photo collection

72modeler

Eureka! Found this while looking for 22nd BG Marauder photos- go figure! Many photos I haven't seen before, some of the color photos might have been colorized, but many show details not often seen. I hope you enjoy them.

Mike

http://mustangp51.e-monsite.com/pages/en-operation-in-operation.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Eureka! Found this while looking for 22nd BG Marauder photos- go figure! Many photos I haven't seen before, some of the color photos might have been colorized, but many show details not often seen. I hope you enjoy them.

Mike

http://mustangp51.e-monsite.com/pages/en-operation-in-operation.html

Mike,

Thanks for the find. Doesn't mostly work that way. Look for one thing and find something else interesting. I am an 27th FW, 523rd FS retiree. Odd occurrence is my first duty assignment as an A1C was with the 405th TFW 523rd TFS 405th MMS (Muntions Maintenance Squadron) Clark AFB. Don't think that happened much. But!

Wonderful pictures of the early war 27th FG A-36 Apaches. Have a couple Accurate Miniatures A-36's in my stash. Mid 90's did a consignment for the 523FS aircraft model display. Built a A-36, F-100D, F-4D, F-111D, F-101A and finally an F-111F. Had a great time researching through the base historian.

Thanks Again,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

I am an 27th FW, 523rd FS retiree.

Ron,

Guessing you're too young for the 17th FW F-84's, but maybe the F-101's and F-111's? See the linked photo collection- should bring back some memories!

Mike

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:27th_Fighter_Wing_(United_States_Air_Force)#/media/File:27-fighter-wing.jpg

• Like 1

Mike,

Yep way to young for the 17th FW and saw the F-101B's on alert at Griffiss AFB when I was in the Civil Air Patrol. F-111's for sure. Was assigned to the 27th Wing 524th AMU February 1980 and retired in August 1993. December 1990 formed the 428th AMU awaiting the FB-111A for conversion to the G model. Before all this I was at RAF Lakenheath with the F-111F/ F-4D and backing up some more the 509th BW Pease AFB NH FB-111A. Finally back up to more tours with the B-52D and before mentioned F-4D 405th TFW 523rd TFS.

Thanks for the link and most I've seen.

Here are a few aircraft that were our gate guard for years before the now powers to be had them disappear:

100_0358

100_0416 100_0452

Happy Modelling

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

That's another goldmine, Mike.  Those photos really illustrate the visual difference the 3" shallower fuselage made on the Allison Mustangs compared to the P-51B/C series.  The canopies look almost cartoonishly more prominent.

One of these days I'll work up the nerve to start in on that High Planes P-51A I have stashed away, the CBI Mustangs deserve to be modeled more often.  I wish I'd bought more Academy P-51 kits as well.