A Spitfire PR XI Conversion in 1/48 Scale

Hi all,

Here are some completion pictures of my latest Reconnaissance Spitfire project.  The base kit is the Airfix PR XIX kit in 1/48 scale, converted to a PR XI.  I have just finished an extensive Build Diary in the Work In Progress threads so please check there for all the details.

PR XI fini left side s

PR XI fini upper left front s

PR XI fini upper left rear s

PR XI fini bottom s

PR XI fini top right s

Thanks again to Mr. John Adams.

Cheers,

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

Great work and attention to detail as always Jim.  Now you've done all the hard graft and research to create a stunning 1/48th Spitfire PR.XI, it should guarantee Mr Eduard finally makes up his mind to give us a mainstream model of the Spitfire PR.XI so the rest of us can build one.  Looking forward to your next project.  (Is this the point where I mention that Ventura Decals in NZ do sheets of 8inch letters and numbers in RAF, RAAF, RNZAF styles and fonts in black, white, dull red and .............light grey for both 1/48th and 1/72nd.)

Edited by ColFord
Extra info
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for all the positive responses, I am glad you all liked the result.

For Colin- actually, I think the spare letters and numbers for the serial number and a/c code letter likely came from the 1/72 scale Ventura sheet you mentioned.  The actual size of letters/numbers in use at that point in time was 4"; that size was what I could not find in 1/48 scale, light grey decals.  Lucky for me the 1/72 8" size worked out really well!

Cheers all, Jim

A excellent model of the best looking Spitfire version 👍

It's been quite a while since Eduard mentioned the possibility of doing a Mk.XI. Now they are on to the Mk.I/V, I fear they might have decided against.

I really like the look of your Spitfire Mr.Jim. Looking very harmless without the guns but with the cameras,I guess the devestations it brought unto the enemies are the same too.Would like to emulate your build but alas there's no more Airfix PR.XIXs being sold in my part of the world. 

• 3 years later...

Hi Jim

A beautiful build.  I am about to try something similar using the old Hasegawa Mk V kit with Quickboost aftersale parts.  One thing that has got me stumped though is the blister canopy.  How did you source yours?

Kind regards

Steve

36 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

One thing that has got me stumped though is the blister canopy.  How did you source yours?

Falcon did a Spitfire Special vac canopy set,  which included various PR canopies, and IIRC Pavla did vac PR canopies.  These may no longer be available new. 

Not all the PR variants have the side blisters

37 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

I am about to try something similar using the old Hasegawa Mk V kit with Quickboost aftersale parts.

A PR .XI or a PR.IV?   

Note, the site serach is not very good, but if you add 'Britmodeller' into a google search term, that works much better,  there have been various threads on PR Spitfires,  how to make a PR.XI get asked every so often.

HTH