Finnish Il-28 ++FINISHED++

CliffB

This is my favourite of this year's GB offerings and over the next 12 months I'm hoping to build a subject from each of the five Nordic countries.  Here's the plan:

• Finnish Il-28 (Nordic GB)
  • Norwegian Ar.196 (In the Navy GB)
  • Icelandic Avro 504K (Kid's Kit GB)
  • Danish Alouette III (Heller GB)
  • Swedish Draken (Interceptor GB)

So here's my offering for this GB.

P1110110.jpg

The kit includes a Finnish decal option.

Unfortunately, I've got four other builds to complete before this one, so it may be an April start.

Cheers

• Like 18

welcome along Cliff, we have all been waiting for you and your lovely wee beasts, and good to see you haven't disappointed us.

What a great one to start off with plus you have 4 more planned as well. Now this one is something different, I had seen this model floating around many years ago, so it's nice to see it here.

Good luck with the build, I think we're all looking forward to following this and your other builds.

• 5 weeks later...

It's time to make a start on my Beagle.

The kit was originally produced in 1970, but you wouldn't know it from the quality of the parts.  They're beautifully moulded, with exquisitely fine, recessed panel lines.

P1110149.jpg 

My particular kit is a 2004 re-boxing and has some nice touches including a pair of nose weights and five decal options.

P1110150.jpg

I'm hoping that it builds as good as it looks :).

Cheers

• Like 11

1 hour ago, reini said:

Not sure if it's something that bothers you - but those Finnish roundels could be better, too light blue and the center white dot seems too big. 

But other than that, looks like a nice kit!

Thanks for your comments reini.

I see what mean about the roundels - I think I might print out some new blue rings (darker and thicker), to lay over the existing decals.  That should improve them.

I'm also unclear whether the '01' and 'NH-01' are correct?  The photos I've seen seem to show '1' and 'NH-1'.

Either way, I'll probably do one of the recon versions instead (with wing tip tanks), operating as a more colourful target tug.  I'll need to do a couple of external modifications, but nothing too difficult (I think :winkgrin:).

I may be asking some questions along the way!

Cheers

• Like 2

@CliffB Yes, I would say '1' and 'NH-1' are correct, as can be seen from the photos. Typical Finnish Air Force numbering system don't have zeros on front.

Looking forwards to what you do with the kit! :) I don't have much knowledge about Il-28, but I'll help if I can.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

...but they are far better than the original Matchox MiG-21 "bis" "Finnish" roundels, which were blue-white-blue :rofl2:

Double ":s because 1) it was not a bis and 2) the roundels were not Finnish...

Academy/Minicraft's MiG-21F roundels are bit off too, being white-black-white...

Edited by reini
  • Haha 2

Actually Rob, you have just reminded me I have the old Airfix version somewhere, together with an early Mig 21 - I suppose they are both potential "Nordics". I might just dig them out if time permits.

Pete

• Like 3

Some progress at last!

There's not much internal detail, so I've been happy to follow Tamiya's recommendation for a mixture of dark grey and black for the cockpit etc.    The engine nacelles are 'see through', so I've filled the gap using small pieces of black sponge.

P1110151.jpg

The kit includes a bomb bay, but I've closed it up on mine (as it's probably not that appropriate for a target tug ;)).

P1110152.jpg

Unfortunately, the bomb bay didn't fit at all well into the fuselage. Some card shims and filler eventually sorted things out.

P1110154.jpg

The Finns had four Beagles.  No.1 was a bomber version (as per the kit decals), whereas 2-4 were recon variants.  All were eventually converted to target tugs I believe.

Only the recon planes had wing-tip tanks and to my eyes, these look particularly good in target tug day-glo :coolio:.  I've therefore decided to finish my Beagle as No.2 (for which I've found a nice couple of colour photos on the web).

P1110153.jpg

Apart from the wing-tip tanks, I believe that the other difference between the Finnish bomber and recon variants is that on the latter, one of the nose cannons was replaced by a camera (or cameras?).  I need to check this out.

Beyond this, I'll also need to scratch build the target-towing apparatus.  There are plenty of photos available on-line, so hopefully it should be easy to do.

Cheers.

• Like 13

Apologies for missing this thread when it first started Cliff, there’s just so much happening here I’m just glad I’m not playing host or co-host! That’s a lovely start you’ve made and I’m sure you will spin your magic yet again to produce yet another first class model.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Apologies for missing this thread when it first started Cliff, there’s just so much happening here I’m just glad I’m not playing host or co-host! That’s a lovely start you’ve made and I’m sure you will spin your magic yet again to produce yet another first class model.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave.  I absolutely know what you mean about trying to keep up with all the Group Builds.  I'm failing miserably!

Cheers

great progress Cliff, nise work on the bomb bay and a very clever idea for blocking the intakes, will have to remember that.

The new scheme you've mention sound great, dying to see some photos.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly creeping forwards again with this one.

I've added the transparencies

P1110167.JPG

and also cobbled together the target towing apparatus from various bits of scrap (I still need to add a hook to the end of the shaft).

P1110166.JPG

Cheers

• Like 9

great to see this one is still under way.... thought for a while some other GB may have kidnaped you! Was about to round up the boys for a rescue mission, had the wee long boats already! :viking:

Mod work in tiny scale, you are the man!!! :thumbsup: Looks good.

• Haha 2