Airfix 1:72 Mitchell MkII

Hi All,

Completed about 6 months ago is my take on Airfix' lovely 1:72 Mitchell MkII, finished as EV@W of 180 Sqn, RAF Dunsfold 1943. Completed completely OOB other than Eduard masks and Tamiya tape seatbelts. Airbrushed using Tamiya Olive Drab and Neutral Grey - to my mind the OD is far too dark compared to other excellent renditions I have seen of this subject (but Tamiya wouldn't get it wrong, would they???). This was also my first real attempt at preshading and differential shading - it's probably a bit too obvious, but I was happy at the time! Kit and decals were both excellent - lead fishing weights were added to ensure she wasn't a tail-sitter. This is now my last 'legacy' RFI - I'm now going to progress to my first WIP - Eduard's new tool 1:48 Tempest Series 2. Wish me luck!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 41

Hi Dunny, 

Great Mitchell! Well done! Inspiring, as I have one on the shelf with the US decals waiting. :)

What is differential shading btw

Also, what was your ratio of OD to gray? I like the outcome and I am to start painting my P61 with OD scheme. 

Thanks in advance! 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov

On 18/01/2020 at 01:43, Nikola Topalov said:

Hi Dunny, 

Great Mitchell! Well done! Inspiring, as I have one on the shelf with the US decals waiting. :)

What is differential shading btw

Also, what was your ratio of OD to gray? I like the outcome and I am to start painting my P61 with OD scheme. 

Thanks in advance! 

Best, 

Nikola

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for the kind words! By differential shading I meant adding a lighter colour to the OD to make a lighter version. I think it was a bit too much of a contrast, but the photos have been kind! The ratio was roughly 10:1, to answer your question. Hope this helps,

R

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for the kind words! By differential shading I meant adding a lighter colour to the OD to make a lighter version. I think it was a bit too much of a contrast, but the photos have been kind! The ratio was roughly 10:1, to answer your question. Hope this helps,

R

Thank you very much Dunny. Appreciated! 

Cheers, 

Nikola

• Like 1