Smer hurricane part 2. Another hurricane in 1/72!

Wince

8 hours ago, Wince said:

I’m watching the original empire strikes back and will be building my snowspeeder my mate bought me

Oooh are you doing a WIP? Is it the Bandai one? I have an AT-ST in the stash. 😇

Take care.

John

On 12/04/2020 at 08:31, The Spadgent said:

Oooh are you doing a WIP? Is it the Bandai one? I have an AT-ST in the stash. 😇

Take care.

John

It’s the revell version. Not a bad kit but I have my original art of esb to help detail it! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done it again......this time an easy build of the hobby boss quick kit hurricane mk 2c . Inspired by my me163 hobby boss this will be a fuss free get the most of my xtradecal set and a seac hurricane at last! Here is my Komet 

207EDEA1-ECFA-4C57-9FCB-DD5CD8EC9981

hope my third hurricane turns out ok.....you know it will end up as another night fighter scheme...

• Like 2

I’m sure you are all fed up of my inane ramblings in this thread but my hobby boss hurricane arrived. Photos soon but first use of roket plastic glue ( tet headaches and nasal irritation forced my hand) went well. First impressions of hurricane is too skinny and overdone fabric. However an seac hurricane is getting closer...... 

• Like 2

It’s like the beginning of the thread. But no wince hurricane thread is without drama. My starter airbrush suffered a second nozzle failure and sheared off. My replacement airbrush then fell off the stand and ruined my trousers. Due to lockdown idleness and weight gain I am running low on decent jeans. Mrs wince was not impressed with having to launder tamiya paint covered jeans......however here is my hobbyboss hurricane sans tail wheel that broke off when masking. The white is hand brushed (and not brilliant) but will be weathered down. Paint is freehand

F8AD689A-0FF9-41B9-BC73-39A16E39E539

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I quite like the brushed white lines.

They are a bit rough as only have revell white, but I’m pleased with this one and only have two more hurricanes to go! I’m sure the original hurri was green/grey but meh! This will have the revell wheels, exhausts and undercart and will be full circle build

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wince said:

I’m sure the original hurri was green/grey but meh!

Countless profiles show SEAC fighters in DFS Green/grey,  but the ones delivered in DFS had the Ocean Grey overpainted with Dark Earth. staying Medium Sea Grey underneath.

36240415101_293811a040_c.jpgSEACspitXIPhurriIICcolour by losethekibble, on Flickr

Desert scheme Hurricanes had the Middle Stone overpainted in Dark Green, but retained Azure Blue undersides.  

not clear, but in the film,  R HV274 ( i think) has Azure Blue undersides, L in the background look to be Sky

49778264136_45d59b4ba4_b.jpgHurricane R HV724 b by losethekibble, on Flickr

this screen grab of B/HW189 in Tunisia,  again shows Azure blue undersides, with Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers

45791221395_bdda178668_b.jpgHurrican HW189 B front by losethekibble, on Flickr

see here for more

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour/

HTH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Countless profiles show SEAC fighters in DFS Green/grey,  but the ones delivered in DFS had the Ocean Grey overpainted with Dark Earth. staying Medium Sea Grey underneath.

SEACspitXIPhurriIICcolour by losethekibble, on Flickr

Desert scheme Hurricanes had the Middle Stone overpainted in Dark Green, but retained Azure Blue undersides.  

not clear, but in the film,  R HV274 ( i think) has Azure Blue undersides, L in the background look to be Sky

Hurricane R HV724 b by losethekibble, on Flickr

this screen grab of B/HW189 in Tunisia,  again shows Azure blue undersides, with Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers

Hurrican HW189 B front by losethekibble, on Flickr

see here for more

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour/

HTH

Cheers Troy. I have the xtradecals set that shows de/dg but kit decals and the horrid airfix kit are different for the same machine with hobbyboss in ocean grey/dg and airfix de/dg. Lesson to learn to check sources!  

Edited by Wince

E804EA14-4A7A-404C-A042-EDB9F1F527CB

Almost complete. Got a load of superglue on port wing but sanded back and resprayed the tip. No landing lights as the wing is one piece and I didn’t fancy the surgery. After struggling with the decals on my revell spit 2 with airfix markings, I bloody love xtradecal markings even though I managed to break the squadron codes on this. Weathering fine with oils and pastels with airbrushed exhaust stains. Used hurricane at war by Ian Allan as a reference point and, as I couldn’t find definite reference for bomb racks on this aircraft, I left them off. Just wanted to thank @Troy Smith for his encouragement and encyclopaedic knowledge and never being disparaging with his comments. This hurricane will be done in a couple of days and I’m possibly not going to build another mk IIc in a while.....

• Like 3

Question.  Should the tailplane stripes extend onto the elevators?

By this stage in the war the fighter role was taken by the Spitfire VIIIs, all the Hurricanes were FR or FB.  The FR ones might not have bombracks but I'm pretty sure the others will.  Easy enough to add them if you change your mind.

19 hours ago, Wince said:

E804EA14-4A7A-404C-A042-EDB9F1F527CB

Looking good. Can’t stop thinking that the tips of the wings are floating in mid air.  Reminds me of when kenny Everett did that blue screen CrAzyNess in the Early 80s.  Lovey work kid.

Johnny

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking good. Can’t stop thinking that the tips of the wings are floating in mid air.  Reminds me of when kenny Everett did that blue screen CrAzyNess in the Early 80s.  Lovey work kid.

Johnny

Blame exposure on iPhone! 

Canopy is on. Hobbyboss give you two canopies. A single piece that is too rounded and a double piece that exposes the beautiful interior details.....I used the open option to model as a closed canopy but the canopy has the correct feature that it portrays the flex of the open canopy. Problem is it neither sits over the dog kennel or sits flush when used in closed position. I sanded the windscreen as that sits to high anyway and fettled down the rear section. And that didn’t fit. I tried my revell canopy and that was too short so have stuck with the I’ll fitting (featureless) canopy.  I will post up some images tomorrow on VE Day! 

• Like 1