Smer hurricane part 2. Another hurricane in 1/72!

Wince

My first WIP. Model is very much in progress and one I built when it was first released. The revell hurricane is not the most accurate but back in 1998 was a welcome addition to the £2.99 kits revell were producing.  Fast forward 22 years and the moulds have suffered quite a bit. Inaccurate rear fuselage, prop and soft details aside I have ploughed on scratch building the cockpit detail (abandoning most of the kit detail and scratch building a new seat, control column, instrument panel and side wall detail) as well as new 20mm canons made out of Albion brass tube and copper wire. Here is where I am. Ignore panel line shading as was using this as paint mule for new airbrush. Vokes filter is from the arma hurricane 1 trop kit. The prop with this kit is awful and I will pinch the spare from the airfix spit mk 2/5 kit. One question is about bomb racks. I will be building this as either a desert hurri or a seac one. Is the bomb rack the same as the spits? The kit version is awful but I have an eduard spit mk 8 with bomb racks. If they aren’t the same will have to use the kit ones. Also excuse the messy work table. I’m setting up the man cave and this is my dining room table..,,

A127D797-F656-460F-A5F1-CB0A9490A969

0203AA44-C6C8-4F0A-B073-CAA731623639

FFBD19F6-9F07-4D8F-9258-FA02BF315FC9

Edited by Wince
  • Like 13

So long as you can cope with the inaccuracies (rear fuselage fabric, “dog kennel” not continuing under canopy) it is a lovely kit. Mine is a later boxing when mould has deteriorated. My original one I got in 2000 was nicer with sharper detail. 

• Like 1

24760831-22CC-4949-BF86-2313A93A8136 6D4F0E6E-C5D6-48FC-A871-FF0D761191BE

And then I struck disaster. I waa using Vallejo model colour and used some winsor Newton flow improver. Big mistake. The model looks pebble dashed and in process of drying. I had a practice beforehand and all was fine but to my horror the flow improver contains alcohol.......time for some brake fluid to strip her back to plastic......

Edited by Wince
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Well, paint cleaned off with soap and water. This is my first time using an airbrush being a long time exponent of the brush. I used Vallejo English uniform lightened with dark sand to fade it. The green is Vallejo dark green lightened with olive grey. Why this scheme? Because it’s going to be seac Burma hurribomber! I’m pleased with the finish but have a lot to learn. This hurricane will be weathered up. 

D36F793F-501E-4585-B8AA-09BD56D428D5 36F4152F-4A6A-4DC8-A33E-57DE319773A5

E5EB9D99-F869-456F-B465-B89A5E8A2BA4

You will notice that the cannons aren’t there. They were in the way! The airbrushing is freehand as I wanted a softer finish but also I didn’t have any masking tape!

• Like 11

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Looking great :)

Thank you. 😀My first attempts with my Christmas present. Airbrush is a spraycraft ab that constantly blows air out the front. It’s more for cake decorators but have got the hang of it.

Nice recovery with the pebble dash, I used their flow improver with tamiya paints and is stopped them setting, as in they didn’t dry even after a month!

looks a nice kit, keep up the great work

Rob

19 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Nice recovery with the pebble dash, I used their flow improver with tamiya paints and is stopped them setting, as in they didn’t dry even after a month!

looks a nice kit, keep up the great work

Rob

Cheers mate. It was the artist grade stuff so wasn’t cheap! However I’m an artist by trade so will use it in studio. Good ole fashioned retarder will work as it doesn’t contain alcohol. Artists acrylics contain ammonia so the alcohol makes sense. 

I owe my wonderful mrs wince a new pair of tights as I used her brand new ones as cheapo micro mesh to buff the primer as that might have been to blame. But the Vallejo went sticky so I thinned it with screen wash instead and was fine. 

For tamiya, I have used cheap vodka to thin them. It was a gift from someone who thought I would like it. Hate the stuff!

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2020 at 23:50, Wince said:

Vokes filter is from the arma hurricane 1 trop kit.

Revell did a trop boxing?  Anyway, a Mk.I filter will I think be too short, slightly.   Probably not owrth worrying about ion 72nd tho

The prop with this kit is awful and I will pinch the spare from the airfix spit mk 2/5 kit.

No, wrong blades.  If you have the ARMA Mk.I trop,  then the prop you use for that is the de Havilland type,  as fitted to Trop Mk.I's,  and that should lave you with  a spare bullet Rotol spinner and blades.

See here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

One question is about bomb racks. I will be building this as either a desert hurri or a seac one. Is the bomb rack the same as the spits?

no, it has a faring round it. If you stick a bomb on it will cover most of it up.

Hurricane-IIb-RCAF-402Sqn-AE-BE492-loade

HTH

PS the camo pattern on your model is unusual/unlikely,  on as you have inverted the colours, usually the Dark Green runs over the canopy section.  reversed  colours are the C/D variant, and is a rarity,  I can think of one Mk.IV like this in Day Fighter Scheme

Compare M in front with G behind

Hurricane-IId-RAF-164Sqn-FJM-KX413-and-F

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Revell did a trop boxing?  Anyway, a Mk.I filter will I think be too short, slightly.   Probably not owrth worrying about ion 72nd tho

No, wrong blades.  If you have the ARMA Mk.I trop,  then the prop you use for that is the de Havilland type,  as fitted to Trop Mk.I's,  and that should lave you with  a spare bullet Rotol spinner and blades.

See here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

no, it has a faring round it. If you stick a bomb on it will cover most of it up.

Hurricane-IIb-RCAF-402Sqn-AE-BE492-loade

HTH

PS the camo pattern on your model is unusual/unlikely,  on as you have inverted the colours, usually the Dark Green runs over the canopy section.  reversed  colours are the C/D variant, and is a rarity,  I can think of one Mk.IV like this in Day Fighter Scheme

Compare M in front with G behind

Hurricane-IId-RAF-164Sqn-FJM-KX413-and-F

Cheers for that. I have pinched the prop from the Arma kit as well. I realise I reversed the camo but will live with it as the kit is inaccurate in other areas as well. And yes, the mk iic has two tropical versions. The vokes filter from the arma kit looks the part but is short. I’m more of a spit lad nowadays but it’s all a learning curve. Mainly doing this as a practice piece to be honest. 

I will put it down to experience but kicking self over camouflage tbh as it’s a silly mistake.  Especially as I had the arma instructions in front of me and had I looked at the dg/de scheme. I followed the desert scheme instead. Better research needed in future but have at least found my reference books for my future builds. I was tempted to repaint this but after 2 paint strips.....it will be a good reminder we are all still learning. Plus it will look good on shelf. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 3

Gloss cote is on. Used humbrol clear and made error of too high a pressure and have rough surface again. I have a lot to learn about spraying. I will leave it as it is as be great to see her as a benchmark for progress. I will try and smooth out the finish but the Matt cote will at least make the surface less noticeable! Pics later

• Like 1

Yet another disaster as the humbrol gloss has gone tacky in places. I’m at point of trashing this and building something else. Cote was thicker than I hoped as used a mini spray gun ( should have brushed it on). This kit is a curse at moment 

edit. Just shot some Vallejo satin over the clear and it has dried nicely. I didn’t think Vallejo were great to spray but a bit of boiled water and they spray beautifully. Photos tomorrow and panic over!

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4E07DA40-6954-4593-A91E-BE93563A9BD7

Looking at my other builds the airbrush has given the camo a different look. This is my airfix spit and it’s the same colours but they seem lighter. Same olive green from Vallejo and English uniform colour used....I am waiting for better light for the hurricane to take an updated photo. I have sprayed the white identification markings on in an off white as the bright white was too bright. I have fixed the gloss cote and after the Vallejo satin dried I sprayed another lighter dusting of humbrol clear over the model that will be fine for decals. Will need to find references for the stencils as I don’t have the instructions anymore as swmbo recycled them....thought they were the spitfires !!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wince said:

I have sprayed the white identification markings on in an off white as the bright white was too bright.

same was found in reality, and they were then done in "India White"  quoted as being 5 parts white to one part roundel blue...

EDIT - for clarity, they were initially white, and then the toned version was used when found too bright.  I can see the above is not as clear as it should be! 

5 hours ago, Wince said:

Will need to find references for the stencils as I don’t have the instructions anymore

this info is online.  Tip, many kits have their instructions as .pdf's up on Scalemates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

same was found in reality, and they were then done in "India White"  quoted as being 5 parts white to one part roundel blue...

this info is online.  Tip, many kits have their instructions as .pdf's up on Scalemates.

Once again in your debt! @Troy Smith. I used a bluish grey and feathered white in it. The overall effect is bluish grey off white. I may finish this as a generic hurricane as the revell version I’m sure was not dark earth. Will be building a mark 1 soon as never built a mark 1 (not counting the old airfix one). 

Edit . Downloaded the instructions and it was DE. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1

Today’s update. Inaccurate camo aside the white stripes are slightly the incorrect size. I say slightly butthey are out by a bit. I’m keeping spirits up and taking this as what it is, a crack at new techniques. The perfectionist in me screams to start this again but I’m forcing self not to as it’s a learning curve. Better care needed in future and also check the references. Or use the supplied decal for the white bits!

5C42DCE3-6B9F-4D3B-90FE-2B1043CB972A

However, onwards we go. The inside I tried to replicate the hawker interior. I ditched the kits interior and scratched the lot. I have picked a few colours out to add interest. I also found the seat was off so made my own from plasticard. I also rebuilt the control column and added rudder pedals from wire. Bit blurry but best I could get. 

19347D10-3132-48AE-9460-DA0FD7E83BF5

03048DA4-CECB-4E80-9D54-5E88BC9427FF

The Heel boards (??) were scribed plasticard. 

But on my shelf was this gem I picked up from a charity shop, the Kellogg’s mail away hurricane! Check out them roundels! 

064906B5-5ED7-4366-B4F3-91B48E0FB4EC

So, despite the massive mistakes I’ve made, I have a gloss cote on and it’s now time to decal before tackling the bomb racks. Lesson learned, measure better. 

Cheers for reading

Edited by Wince
  • Like 3

0D89E015-401A-4C15-B7C0-C6231B0A6E6F

I hate revell old school decals. I decided to plough on with the kit decals but despite gloss surface and decal fix a plenty they are hopeless........given up for the night as need to have a think. Will pick up the airfix mk1 when I get paid I think. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wince said:

But on my shelf was this gem I picked up from a charity shop, the Kellogg’s mail away hurricane! Check out them roundels! 

Code 3 it.... yeah, I had too look that up myself, it's what the diecast community call modifying a diecast.

10 hours ago, Wince said:

I hate revell old school decals. I decided to plough on with the kit decals but despite gloss surface and decal fix a plenty they are hopeless.

have yo tried the bedding in Kleer option? 

Get the kit finished, it will look better when all done, and the glitches are part of a learning curve.    I'm impressed at all you have tried,  but a few aspects are perhaps from impatience, but given this is a public forum, actually detailing the trials and tribulations of real modelling is very valuable,  as others will see this and realise that to learn and improve you have to actually do,  and push the boundaries of your skills and techniques,  which is why it's good to show the build, arts and all, and this allows suggestions for other ways to tackle issues to posted.

HTH

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Revell decals take their time to apply, but when looking at the pics, I don't see a gloss base... 

49416162936_4df3a7c4de_b.jpg

The kelloggs one is more glossy IMHO, the gloss layer is more like sandpaper, either applied at to much pressure or to far distance... Next time you can first spray on a bottle or can, en when the result is good, apply it to the aircraft.  That gives you an idea about what is coming, and when it isn't thinned that good, you have a chance to intervene... (and don't hesitate to be self critical...)

Otherwise, it is a nice project with a giant learning curve. Keep this model... and look at it back a few models later. You will be amazed about your own progress... Keep it coming

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments. There is a gloss cote on but the initial paint costs, when Matt didn’t show the pebbly surface so I think I haven’t quite nailed the gloss through the airbrush as the paint (2nd attempt) was smooth. As this was a very cheap kit that I intended to practice on then I am perhaps being too harsh on myself as this is the first time I’ve picked up an AB. 

I have been impatient but it has been enjoyable and can’t wait to hone my skills! I can’t try the klear method as don’t have klear but will try using humbrol clear in the spares and see how that goes.

i really appreciate the constructive criticism as well. It’s the best way to learn! 

Edit. I forgot to put more than one coat of clear on! Doh! 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1

Looking the the klear method @Troy Smith I’m pretty sure that humbrol stuff will work. I have to apply the rest of the decals so will give it a whirl. Tonight will be also see me trying to rescue the canopy as It is quite scuffed and crazed. I will dip it into clear to at least get a glossier finish. 

One thing I will say about revell decals is that they are far more brittle than I remember. Good news is they haven’t silvered though. Humbrol decalfix whilst not to everyone’s taste works for me but will try the clear method. 

• Like 1

I've bought Johnson's Klear in my local ASDA and managed to sneak it into the weekly shopping (thereby saving a few quid to spend on other stuff). I don't use it for bedding-down transfers but it ain't a bad gloss coat, I apply it in thin coats with a wide brush. 

18 minutes ago, Beard said:

I've bought Johnson's Klear in my local ASDA and managed to sneak it into the weekly shopping (thereby saving a few quid to spend on other stuff). I don't use it for bedding-down transfers but it ain't a bad gloss coat, I apply it in thin coats with a wide brush. 

Is it back on sale in uk? I thought it was rarer than hens teeth now! I suspect that humbrol decal fix is the 30% clear to water mix.

I need to add more coats to mine and may brush it on in future builds until I can get the hang of the airbrush. 

My jet provost was brushed and was a high gloss.  It took a couple of coats but is nice and shiny! 

C7BCF050-EA88-4808-84E2-E0955B83E629

• Like 4