Smer hurricane part 2. Another hurricane in 1/72!

Wince

4 hours ago, Wince said:

I freehand sprayed the green and feathered the edges slightly.

A technique for  doing tight feathered edges is to run thread around the underneath edges of the masks, raising them slightly, allowing a small amount of feathering to happen.  

Not tried it, just passing on a tip. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

A technique for  doing tight feathered edges is to run thread around the underneath edges of the masks, raising them slightly, allowing a small amount of feathering to happen.  

Not tried it, just passing on a tip. 

Thanks Troy, I  read that too. It’s one I will try as I gain more confidence on the airbrush. The real clean cut camo is correct for this scale but it looked far too stark. I am growing in confidence with each try with the airbrush and am taking my time to get things right. Tamiya paint has really impressed me through the airbrush as well.

• Like 2

The finish on this is on hold. Sadly the 25 year old decals are not usable. They disintegrated upon contact with water. I’m reluctant to buy a decal set just for one kit so will be looking at my options,including using the spare set from the revell mk 2 to do this as a factory fresh hurricane. Will have a ponder.....

• Sad 2

7FBDF10C-EC1A-473A-B3C5-6FF372DD7360

All glossed up and nowhere to go. I did the exhausts with a coat of citadel chain mail then a wash of army painter flesh wash mixed with Vallejo smoke wash. Seriously love the Vallejo wash paints. Pay day will be the day I can get the decals. 

I also ran some citadel nuln oil oil along the ailerons, flaps, elevators and rudder. In the real thing these really stand out. I ran thinner wash along the raised panel lines too. Focusing on the wing gun panels and engine panels. Just to tidy up the subtle preshading. I’ve kept the shading subdued.  

What i I have forgot to do is the green and red navi lights on the wings. I have added the transparency but forgot to colour them. Oh well

Here is the complete airframe 

4D72F681-1414-4F74-AC21-25C30BB172AD

0D89E015-401A-4C15-B7C0-C6231B0A6E6F

Just comparing with the revell and I’m happier with this kit. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry to hear about yer decals. 😔

but some strong work there. Both kits look good but I do prefer the later. 🤩

Cheers buddy. I take it you meant latter.....sadly she is no longer with us. I will one day complete a vokes filter spit or hurricane. I’m pleased with finish of the smer hurricane. I found that to avoid a pebbly gloss coat I need to flood surface. Will probably use tamiya gloss on next build. As for smer decals I hated them back in the day and never managed to get them on. Need to get the xtradecal set but means I will need a few more hurricanes......

9 hours ago, TonkaGuy said:

Great work so far with the painting, nice soft borders between the camo 

Cheers tonkaguy. I did the green freehand on the smer kit. I do like hard edges but think it looks to harsh. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, Wince said:

What i I have forgot to do is the green and red navi lights on the wings. I have added the transparency but forgot to colour them. Oh well

Not colouring them would be right. IRRC, the glass was clear, the bulbs were coloured.

9 hours ago, Beard said:

Not colouring them would be right. IRRC, the glass was clear, the bulbs were coloured.

I meant to drill into the lens and add drop of paint but at this scale I doubt it would be noticeable 

37 minutes ago, Wince said:

I meant to drill into the lens and add drop of paint but at this scale I doubt it would be noticeable 

I've done just that on a couple of Revell IIbs I'm currently working on and it ain't really worth the effort.

16 minutes ago, Beard said:

I've done just that on a couple of Revell IIbs I'm currently working on and it ain't really worth the effort.

The clear bit is but other than that I agree. I’m also leaving off the rear view mirror off the canopy on this too

on Her undercart with big sister sea fury behind her. 

69894CC3-AF2D-410D-B650-90EE0E3C40FC

Pe aerial looks good and scrap pe fixed the broken anchor point on rudder. I’m eager to get her finished. I flattened the wheels but due to warped undercart legs one wheel sits bit off. As I display on static grass base this shouldn’t look too bad. One week til pay day and decals!

• Like 4

On 2/18/2020 at 10:31 PM, Wince said:

Cheers buddy. I take it you meant latter.....

I did mean “latter” this ruddy spell check is a right PITA sometimes.  also in “latter” I meant your latest build not the latest picture. Although I liked the first one the new one wins hands down for me. Sorry for the confusion. Roll on pay day eh. 🤗

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I did mean “latter” this ruddy spell check is a right PITA sometimes.  also in “latter” I meant your latest build not the latest picture. Although I liked the first one the new one wins hands down for me. Sorry for the confusion. Roll on pay day eh. 🤗

Haha no problem! First hurricane is one I wish I had completed but the smer one, despite its age has turned out so much better than I hoped especially the paint. Switching to tamiya has been a dream as it is so forgiving as a paint and even the gloss cote (humbrol) has worked out for me this time. I’ve learned a lot on this build that old kits are good fun and also I can actually airbrush. 

And payday needs to come quicker to complete this! Im actually sad this one is coming to an end as it has been a blast and has restored my faith in the hobby. 

Just hope the finishing touches go smoothly now....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wince said:

Is the airfix 2c worth tracking down?

as in the 2009 tooling.

NO.  it's probably OK as a kit.

Accuracy wise, it's garbage. unfixably wrong.  based on plans in a reputable Hurricane book that are horribly wrong. 

You want a 72nd IIC, Arma Hobby, or the Az/Legato family, which are limited run an take some work.  

Re cost.

The base cost of a kit is a small part if you think of the time it takes to do make one well, along with cost of paint.

A cheap kit might be £5,  an Arma pro pack £15, 

that will get you etch, masks, and decent decals, and make up into a decent model OOB.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

as in the 2009 tooling.

NO.  it's probably OK as a kit.

Accuracy wise, it's garbage. unfixably wrong.  based on plans in a reputable Hurricane book that are horribly wrong. 

You want a 72nd IIC, Arma Hobby, or the Az/Legato family, which are limited run an take some work.  

Re cost.

The base cost of a kit is a small part if you think of the time it takes to do make one well, along with cost of paint.

A cheap kit might be £5,  an Arma pro pack £15, 

that will get you etch, masks, and decent decals, and make up into a decent model OOB.   

Just googled it. An absolute horrible kit and those panel lines.......I’m tempted to get a few more old heller hurricanes as well as the arma one. Even another revell mk 2 if cheap enough 

More gloss cote woes as there is some crazing on the port wing. Can tamiya x22 clear be used as a gloss coat? I’ve given up on humbrol clear as it is nothing but trouble and hope that the Matt varnish will mask the crazing. As pledge klear is impossible to get what is the best clear varnish I can use for a gloss coat? 

I wont be repainting the kit and am just concerned the paint might flake off.....I’m sure it won’t but I think I may have added too thick a coat of clear....

Edited by Wince
  • Sad 1

Decals are here! As is my new dIsplay case. I also dropped into tornado and picked up a hurricane mk 1 by airfix. 85 sqn markings may 1940. Will happily stash this for a while as I'm thinking it might be good for the proposed blitzkrieg group build. 

• Like 2

A5B05A4E-5ADD-4598-8B00-A5FD239360AD

Xtradecals on! 

F55439E5-D59E-444F-81BF-05748EC9B1E9

Really pleased how this has turned out however just noticed that the wings are asymmetrical slightly that is hardly noticeable but enough to annoy me...when I aligned the wing in construction I got it out of square by 1mm. So the entire wing is out . Either that or the wing is warped. Too late to do anything about and I am super annoyed but unless you look closely it will look good in the shelf. I am not prepared to rip this apart and start again so will have to live with it

Edited by Wince
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Wince said:

however just noticed that the wings are asymmetrical slightly that is hardly noticeable but enough to annoy me...when I aligned the wing in construction I got it out of square by 1mm. So the entire wing is out . Either that or the wing is warped. Too late to do anything about and I am super annoyed but unless you look closely

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't pointed it out. Even having pointed it out I'm not seeing it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It looks good from where I'm sitting, that is a nicely done scheme. :)

Steve.

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't pointed it out. Even having pointed it out I'm not seeing it. 

The tail plane isn’t square to the wings. It is marginal but noticeable on underside as the undercart bays are not straight leading me to think it is user error when the poor fitting wing was added. I noticed it when adding the roundels and it also appears that one wing is wider than the other. Nobody else will notice but I do. However I’m not doing anything to fix this so late in the build. I never noticed myself until the decals were on. As this is the best spray finish I have achieved to date I will leave well alone. I do need to fix droopy cannons though....

• Like 2