Smer hurricane part 2. Another hurricane in 1/72!

Wince

Quick update, used humbrol clear as setting agent diluted as per klear recipe and it dissolved the tail markings. I had brushed on some clear last night where markings were to go. Patched the damage up with some hand painting.....happily revell decals now are better as my airfix spit had the roundels from the revell one (I spilled pint on the airfix ones) but if I build any older revell kits will replace the decals. I think the ones I have are old stock (dated 2004) but they are incredibly brittle and I have built these kits years ago with no problems with decals. Although revell and matchbox had an uncanny ability to silver. Not added stencils but one thing I wish I had done was put the light on the underside as in the kit this is a decal and looks very flat. On last leg of this now though. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 1

Sadly folks this one is over. Had a reaction to the gloss coat with the Matt varnish so cleaned with some airbrush cleaner. It cleared paint off and was excited to then do as option b desert scheme. Sadly the airbrush cleaner I was using ate into the plastic and it remained sticky and as I was cleaning the last of the paint, the detail on kit was destroyed. Not only that the surface was crazed and It is now beyond repair. I’m rather gutted and massively disappointed. But, all isn’t lost. I will keep this WIP open as I source a second hurricane to build. 

What doesn’t kill you and all that ! 

Edited by Wince
  • Sad 5

31 minutes ago, Beard said:

We all disasters from tIme to time, it's part of the learning experience, and it's best it happened to a cheaper kit. 

Exactly. I will source another hurricane to crack on with as I’ve Learned the hard way on this. I have the images to study of the build of not the kit itself so next one will be better. 

After sleeping on it and with the hurri beyond repair, I will keep this thread open as I source a new hurricane to build. Couldn’t see any in my lms but I might dip into my stash for a mojo build. 

At the end of the day, the catastrophe is just a bit of a life lesson to slow down on my builds. I know EXACTLY where the problem in my build was and how to avoid it. 

Question is what hurricane to build? I am leaving my arma one in the stash for now

• Like 1

Glutton for punishment I know but just ordered the smer release of the heller my 2c. I have the interior and canons to add to the kit as well as the undercarriage bay. Why bother! Because I built this kit as a lad and it was a wonderful kit. I will be doing this as a penance ! Down but not out

Edited by Wince
  • Like 2

10F559F1-C497-4C81-B097-89DE214FC0FB

The useful bits I have salvaged. I also have the undercart and canopy. Plus the scratch built Hispano cannons. I will see if I can graft the wheel well onto the smer kit when it arrives. I’m rather excited even if I paid over the odds for the smer kit. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The Smer (ex-Heller) kit has a wheel bay moulded integral with the wing.

Why hack that out to add the Revell one in?

If I remember correctly the heller is blank. I will see what detail I can add in but it will be less hack and more precisely cut if I choose to swap them out. I may sound crazy but I want to see how different they are as in the past I’ve used thick foil to create patterns from parts. But, with one failed hurricane on my hands I won’t make it two😉

41 minutes ago, Wince said:

If I remember correctly the heller is blank. I will see what detail I can add in but it will be less hack and more precisely cut if I choose to swap them out. I may sound crazy but I want to see how different they are as in the past I’ve used thick foil to create patterns from parts. But, with one failed hurricane on my hands I won’t make it two😉

it is, but the revell detail is not worth the bother.  If you have the Arma kit then you know tha Hurricne don't have whell wells like this either....

The Heller has lovely fusleage fabric, but the wing tip are too wide,  and the nose is too slim in profile, bother are fixable though, I have a part hacked one.

On 22/01/2020 at 23:26, Wince said:

Sadly the airbrush cleaner I was using ate into the plastic and it remained sticky and as I was cleaning the last of the paint, the detail on kit was destroyed.

hmm, one of those, test on scrap first times,  even just the kit sprues. 

I got some N"No Nonsense"  paint stripper from Screwfix, which worked fine on 40 year old enamel, and didn't affect the plastic.

I think you are trying too much out all at once.   Find what works, and build on that. 

FWIW,  the only kit I have completed in a long time 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

which may have some useful info,  I had very few problems,  nothing major in the finishing and decalling so I know at least what I did worked for me.  

HTH

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

it is, but the revell detail is not worth the bother.  If you have the Arma kit then you know tha Hurricne don't have whell wells like this either....

The Heller has lovely fusleage fabric, but the wing tip are too wide,  and the nose is too slim in profile, bother are fixable though, I have a part hacked one.

hmm, one of those, test on scrap first times,  even just the kit sprues. 

I got some N"No Nonsense"  paint stripper from Screwfix, which worked fine on 40 year old enamel, and didn't affect the plastic.

I think you are trying too much out all at once.   Find what works, and build on that. 

FWIW,  the only kit I have completed in a long time 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

which may have some useful info,  I had very few problems,  nothing major in the finishing and decalling so I know at least what I did worked for me.  

HTH

I am doing a back to basics build at the moment just to get mojo back. Will keep the next hurricane simple. 

In spirit of practice I bought a hobbyboss quick kit me262 to practice on. How the airbrush handles and practicing on something that I’m not to bothered about making mistakes on. It isn’t perfect as I wanted to try out the Luftwaffe squiggles . What I discovered was my ab is more an all rounder than I thought and not suited for detail work. But I’ve used clear again but this time brushed on after giving paint time to harden and again there is a rough surface that wasn’t there before. So I hand painted the back of a spoon and got same rough surface. But as a mojo restorer I thoroughly enjoyed having a play. 

BEC75FA0-528F-4A89-9F9D-A1C4FAF1508D

Bodes well even even if there is some splatter from the fine squiggles (perfect for 1/48th). My ab was a gift and is a continuous airflow on a simple 3 setting low medium and high so it can be frustrating but not impossible 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 4

The smer kit has been delivered. Been researching the kit and the nose is out on it. I will leave it as it is and am undecided on the panel lines whether to keep them raised or to scribe them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

I would just build it straight out of the box and get some more painting practice in before you start worrying about rescribing or trying to make the kit more accurate.

I agree with you. I will busy up the cockpit as the revell cockpit turned out well and detail wise it will add to the finished look. I certainly don’t want to have another disaster on my hands though do panel lines will remain raised! I feel far more confident about this kit being a success especially after my 262 turned out well (notwithstanding the blue field camo). 

CCC1AB3B-AC1D-49BD-8134-2AFD1DFB7551

Onwards to the hurricane!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wince said:

Been researching the kit and the nose is out on it. I will leave it as it is and am undecided on the panel lines whether to keep them raised or to scribe them. 

As I mentioned.  The wing problem is more obvious.  As @Work In Progress  just build it,  IMO,  if you consider a rescribe, then consider fixing the nose and wing issues....and then you start thinking about the UC well,,,,and then you may as well have gone directly to the new tool Arma IIC kit..

There is a satisfaction of fixing up things,  but in this case it's a can of worms,  as in removing the raised lines around the (very well done) fabric detail, and then redoing it.    

A technique that maybe worth trying,  use a black or dark grey primer coat, well applied, and when the camo is applied, very gently sand over the lines, revealing the dark primer,  creating the impression of panel lines,   you may only need to use some old denim to sand,  which is slightly abrasive, or a worn down fine sanding stick.

HTH

55 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

As I mentioned.  The wing problem is more obvious.  As @Work In Progress  just build it,  IMO,  if you consider a rescribe, then consider fixing the nose and wing issues....and then you start thinking about the UC well,,,,and then you may as well have gone directly to the new tool Arma IIC kit..

There is a satisfaction of fixing up things,  but in this case it's a can of worms,  as in removing the raised lines around the (very well done) fabric detail, and then redoing it.    

A technique that maybe worth trying,  use a black or dark grey primer coat, well applied, and when the camo is applied, very gently sand over the lines, revealing the dark primer,  creating the impression of panel lines,   you may only need to use some old denim to sand,  which is slightly abrasive, or a worn down fine sanding stick.

HTH

And before I know it the kit doesn’t get built! The fabric is superbly done so don’t want to mess about too much. The panel line tip is worth trying out. I use an old pair of mrs winces tights as a polishing cloth and that works. I will have a good look at the sprues later and will just focus on a bit of detail in the office and track down the arma IIc. Cheers for all your help on this. I am sure you will be glad for me to get the bloody thing built! 

• Like 1

That was a bit of a roller coaster. I was really impressed with your airbrushed camo. It’s a real shame the top coat didn’t come good. Have you tried tamiya rattle cans TS 13, TS 79, TS 80? I use them all the time and get good results. Plenty of stock at tornado. 😇 good on you for carrying on with the thread it’s all about the journey after all. 🥰

That Provost looks great by the way.

ill tag along here if that’s ok.

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That was a bit of a roller coaster. I was really impressed with your airbrushed camo. It’s a real shame the top coat didn’t come good. Have you tried tamiya rattle cans TS 13, TS 79, TS 80? I use them all the time and get good results. Plenty of stock at tornado. 😇 good on you for carrying on with the thread it’s all about the journey after all. 🥰

That Provost looks great by the way.

ill tag along here if that’s ok.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny. I know where I went wrong on the topcoat so no mistakes this time. The camo came out well. I’m using Vallejo model colour and it sprays well but don’t half gunk the airbrush up. I will upgrade when funds allow but I will finish the hurri in tamiya. 

The provost is an Aldi special (with corrected canopy) and is brush painted. Glad to have you on board as I go mk2 on the mkII! 

• Like 1

Right then. Here she is. Box takes me back to 1996 and the brum flea market where these were a whopping 2 quid. Box art is gorgeous (painting wise) but the design screams 90s. That pink!!

A810C4EB-D899-41CC-AB80-1F9B60C71146

and the painting guide (good old humbrol)

462FFD7D-6C31-4D42-89CA-77EC9EDBE7E3

And if you are in any doubt as to kits lineage check out the scrubbed out heller logo 

F18E6BB3-86FB-4C0F-B76B-AE06011A17A9

Decals are in good nick but we’re a PITA back in the day and if I remember reviews correctly would dissolve using setting

01D915FF-A381-49F2-8175-9227E4249438

Sprues are nice with a bit of flash and some lumps and bumps but nothing major. Only one landing light though. Will check references to see if that is right but certain there should be 2....

25EEB762-6518-4B46-81CB-5715E71C1AC9

And my scratched interior from the revell. Bit of work and this will fit. Only part of kit I will be correcting. 

A6169C02-B572-4076-98BB-DD78066D421D

I will take take my time over this to finish a couple of other projects first but I’m impressed with the heller/smer kit (or smeller). And the rear fuselage fabric is simply stunning for a kit that age. 

Edited by Wince
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wince said:

Only one landing light though. Will check references to see if that is right but certain there should be 2....

correct, there should be 2.   Some Mk.IV had them plated over though. 

1 hour ago, Wince said:

Decals are in good nick but we’re a PITA back in the day and if I remember reviews correctly would dissolve using setting

colours look good apart for the codes (note the Arma pro boxing has 4 options) 

If delicate, try the bedding in Kleer trick.  Propagteam are noted as a decent decal maker AFAIK.  Note it says 'Super Decal' on the box so these maybe a later addition.

I have a few of these stashed in different boxing's (Airfix and Humbrol) ..... I have said I'd like to do OOB builds of the 72nd kits, I got an ebay job lot of different Hurricane kits a few years ago which worked out at about £3 a go, including a couple of Sword fabric winged ones :) 

• Like 1

As had been mentioned there are a number of faults with the Heller kit but I've always liked it and with raised panel lines is easy to sand down to convert to other Mark's like the Mk.IId or the Mk.iV. One thing that always bugs me though is that Heller in their wisdom only provided one landing light and even that is in the wrong place (approximately too far inboard by it's own width). At the very least you might want to add one to the other wing.

Clive

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

correct, there should be 2.   Some Mk.IV had them plated over though. 

colours look good apart for the codes (note the Arma pro boxing has 4 options) 

If delicate, try the bedding in Kleer trick.  Propagteam are noted as a decent decal maker AFAIK.  Note it says 'Super Decal' on the box so these maybe a later addition.

I have a few of these stashed in different boxing's (Airfix and Humbrol) ..... I have said I'd like to do OOB builds of the 72nd kits, I got an ebay job lot of different Hurricane kits a few years ago which worked out at about £3 a go, including a couple of Sword fabric winged ones :) 

My experience of the decals are from being a 13 year old lad back in the 90s. Things like gloss coats were not considered. From what I can remember of their spit and tempest is the decals are very thin and you have to be accurate where you placed them. But they did settle down (eventually). 

I will likely do this as day fighter scheme and track down the Arma kit anyway. 

As for the landing light I thought it looked familiar to the one in my home town. A mk4 painted as a mk1. Note the raised panel lines in that first pic😉

1AD8D95A-0F82-4D18-9634-771774004D23

252A4B8E-768E-4918-A0A2-C2A75ACE1852

• Like 5