Eduard 1/72 FW190 A-5

SaminCam

Afternoon all, slowing getting there with the FW190. Undercarriage painted and glued in place and next will add the other half of the wheel well doors.  As Allan @almac mentioned above, the undercarriage fit is a bit "vague" and it's quite fiddly to fix the angle and the folding mechanism arm in just the right place - got there eventually though and actually the legs feel fairly solid in the end. Once the other doors are added I'll gloss coat the legs, add a few remaining decals and then start weathering 👍

49635169216_6bb716f4d7_c.jpg

• Like 5

Carefully masked and painted the prop and spinner with red and very dark green. Spiral decal will go on tomorrow once varnish properly dry. Any thoughts on weathering the prop: was it metal? would a little bit of chipping be suitable? 

49641515031_c2f8633f88_z.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all, I got a flat coat sprayed on and now onto weathering, starting with the underside. I'm using black, brown and white artists oils, either thinned to form a wash or unthinned for streaks and shading. The thing I like about oils is how forgiving they are - if you're not happy with the result they can be cleared away with a bit of white spirit - in the picture below I haven't got the gun exhaust stains quite right so will probably clear this up and have another go. 

49650855468_2fcd10aa71_c.jpg

• Like 6

Nearly done! Seen here I'm keeping the aerial wire tight while super glue goes off. Since the last post I've had a few trials and tribulations with weathering; the main problem is that the Vallejo flat varnish and white spirit aren't friends... the white spirit seems to eat into the varnish leaving a patchy finish. I've managed to clear things up by re-varnishing and I'm fairly happy with where I'm at though i still haven't quite nailed the weathered look i was after. Hopefully Ill get this finished and in rfi in the next few days. Look after yourselves, thanks for looking! 

49667905727_7b1fba4afd_c.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, SaminCam said:

Any thoughts on weathering the prop: was it metal? would a little bit of chipping be suitable?

I think was metal so you could chip it if desired. This is looking great Sam - lovely work overall - the weathering that you did looks real and convincing... lots of new techniques employed which you executed well - I think as long as you keep trying new things you’ll constantly improve- which you definitely are👍 Well done! 

• Thanks 1

@Kitchen Modeller@Walter thanks gents! Having left it for a day or two and looked at it in sunlight I'm a bit happier with the weathering - I've noticed before that it is worth leaving the model to "settle" before making any radical corrections, it definitely looks better to me now than it did at the weekend. A last few touches are needed (maybe a bit more chipping), but nearly there!  

Edited by SaminCam
typo

And she's done! The trickiest thing I find with weathering is knowing when to stop and with this one I'm going to call it a day there. I'll seal the oil paints in with a final coat of flat varnish once they've dried for a few days. I'm pretty pleased with this now - its a lovely kit and the only minor issues I've had were with the slightly flimsy undercarriage and cross decal which disintegrated in warm water (one for the memory bank: eduard decals seem to prefer cold water...). On this one I've tried out hairspray chipping and freehand airbrushing the camo for the first time as well as getting my best mottles so far on the tail fin. I'll get some better photos taken shortly for RFI, next up I've got the Eduard bf110, can't wait! 

49673252958_0f16a2ce29_c.jpg

49674076672_8b5838075b_c.jpg

49673797391_a3354c5c21_c.jpg

Thanks for following along, look after yourselves out there 👍

• Like 10

The Fw 190 looks excellent Sam. You'll enjoy the Bf 110 I'm sure. If it's anything like it's1/48 older brother you'll  have a great model, just a bit of patience and care are needed, more than I've given mine I'm afraid but I'm calling it practice for the next one. 😁

Roger. 

• Thanks 1

@neil5208, @Roger Newsome, @Kitchen Modeller Thanks gents! Got some snaps taken in the photo box this morning so I'll get the RFI up shortly. 

I hope you'll indulge the following post, this is "work in progress" on my modelling skills. I thought it might be interesting to reflect on three single engine fighters I've made over the last three years since I returned to the hobby. 

The first  is Airfix's 1/72 P51D Mustang. Why this one and why the return to a hobby I hadn't touched for nearly 20 years? Well, I'm a massive geek and had probably looked up some video or other on youtube about the Mustang and somehow I got linked through to a video posted by a guy called David Damek (Plasmo) who was making this model. Something clicked in my head and 10 minutes later I'd ordered the model, some paint, tweezers, snippers, glue - enough to get me started. I also had access to an airbrush at work and somewhere along the way tripped over britmodeller full of help, tips and inspiration. Armed with all that, I got this:

49682863727_3e52d38686_c.jpg

If I remember correctly It's painted with Alclad Aluminium and Tamiya acrylics. I think it got a Tamiya panel line wash and what looks like some oil stains from artists oils as well. Looking back now it's a bit rough around the edges - the seam lines need some more work (I tried!), the canopy is badly misted and the wings are too flat (no dihedral). I really enjoyed making it though and found the part of me that loved making models when I was growing up was still there. After this I built Revell's B17, made my first RFI and have been posting here ever since.

About a year later (late 2018), after a long, long battle with a B29, I returned to something a bit more straightforward with Airfix's bf109E:

49682040413_91a47ef88e_c.jpg

By this point I had learned loads with the B29 build and had my own airbrush at home. This kit has Eduard extras in the cockpit, XtraDecal markings and I've used a riveting tool (reasonably successfully!) on the wings and fuselage. Looking at this closely it's much better than the Mustang, the wings are the right shape(!), seams have been dealt with better and the riveting definitely adds something. The paint scheme is ok though the mottles, done with an elaborately cut out mask, don't look quite right, nor do the the chipping and oil stains around the nose. The canopy, again, was a misty, murky disaster hence why it is in the open position so you can at least see a bit of the cockpit inside. 

Another year and a bit later we come on to the fw190 which I've just finished:

49682572861_a15597b410_c.jpg

There's definitely mistakes and things I would do differently on this model but overall I'm really happy with it. It was my first Eduard kit and it went together beautifully, I also really like the scheme - the yellow flashes match well with the Bf109 and He-111 already on the shelf. 

Anyway, thanks for indulging me, hopefully in a few models time I'll be able to look back at this one and see some improvements. I feel like almost all of the progress I've made is thanks to britmodeller and you guys who show the way with all your amazing builds, tips and encouragement. In these turbulent times its great to be part of such an enthusiastic, kind-hearted community (sorry, pass the sick bucket! 🤢!) . Cheers, Sam

49682861232_3b44d077e8_c.jpg

• Like 5