A-1H, A-1J Skyraider wheel types

72modeler

All this recent Skyraider talk has aroused my curiosity.  In looking at photos, it appears that some A-1H/J Skyraiders have the spoked wheel and some have the solid cast wheel. Same story for USN or USAF/SVNAF AD's. Is there any way to know which would be correct? Was the wheel type changed to the stronger solid type during overhaul? I have read reference to 'Air Force' and 'Navy' Skyraider wheels, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Can you help, @Tailspin Turtle? I am sooo confused. Mainly interested in A-1E and A-1H/J types flown by the USAF in SEA. If this has been covered before, I apologize in advance for the duplication.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

All this recent Skyraider talk has aroused my curiosity.  In looking at photos, it appears that some A-1H/J Skyraiders have the spoked wheel and some have the solid cast wheel. Same story for USN or USAF/SVNAF AD's. Is there any way to know which would be correct? Was the wheel type changed to the stronger solid type during overhaul? I have read reference to 'Air Force' and 'Navy' Skyraider wheels, bit there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Can you help, @Tailspin Turtle? I am sooo confused. Mainly interested in A-1E and A-1H/J types flown by the USAF in SEA. If this has been covered before, I apologize in advance for the duplication.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You sure know how to throw a monkey in the wrench, stir it three time, toss it in the air and hope the answer falls into place.

I do not have an answer and am as confused as you. Quickly scanned a bunch of photos (1.12G file) of my insanely heavy skyraider references and have found both types of wheels on both USN and  USAF A-1H/J's and AD-5/A1-E. So if @Tailspin Turtlecan advise as to who, when what and where will remain a mystery. My thoughts have and will always be accompany a photo of your finished subject to silence any bad remarks. This is one of maybe many aircraft I don't have technical references on.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

Ron.

Until the Oracle speaks, I agree the smart play is to make sure I have a photo that confirms the choice of wheel, and even tire tread pattern, and I realize there is no such thing as "This is the style without exception," but that being said, I have very personal reasons for wanting to get my SEA Spads right- one will be a tribute to a family friend who lost his life flying an A-1E, and the other is a retired fighter pilot who flew A-1H's in the same squadron, (The 601st SOS) who has become a good friend.

Mike

OK, monkey, put down the wrench; back slowly away from the Skyraider, and nobody will get hurt!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mainly interested in A-1E and A-1H/J types flown by the USAF in SEA.

Hi Mike

Most photos show USAF birds with a mix of spoke/solid

USN birds mostly spoked (on carriers anyway)

You may have (or not) seen these before?

USAF Skyraiders 1

USAF Skyraiders 2

USAF Skyraiders 3

USAF Skyraiders 4

More here

Skyraider Association

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Hi, Alan!

Believe it or not, I had the same sites saved! (Great minds and all that...) I do appreciate your posting these, though- I bet there are many others who have not seen the photos who will also be thankful. How are things in the land of the dreaded Kiwi? You need to get back to Kittyhawks and Sunderlands, sir! Regards,

Mike

Mike,

I do understand that and have lost a number of my squadron folks that never made it back from a mission to the north flying the F-4D. I've built a number of kits for an individual whom distributes to the proper place. Sad part is, I never knew who I was building for.

I can say that all the photos I have of those flying in SEA had solid wheels (mostly metal unpainted) and a 1 image as a spoked wheel.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Sad 1

According to my go-to guy for Skyraiders, Ed Barthelmes, the stamped steel hubs replaced the cast aluminum spoked ones due to an increasing incidence of fatigue failure of the latter. That said, as best I can tell it’s rare to see stamped hubs on Navy A-1s. The very last single-seat Navy Skyraiders to deploy (the ones with the extraction seats) had spoked hubs in the photographs I have. In a quick review of some other fin de siecle Navy Skyraider examples, I found only one, an EA-1F (the jammer and the last of type to be operational), with stamped hubs. As noted above, early USAF Skyraiders had spoked hubs; later ones, stamped. Others may have more information on the timing of the change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

How are things in the land of the dreaded Kiwi? You need to get back to Kittyhawks and Sunderlands

Hi Mike,

The Kiwi's are good, but these little guys have no respect for

the law :bobby::fool:

I'll have more on the Sunderland and Kittyhawk's soon

Regards

Alan

• Haha 2