GBU-12 USAF Deep Bronze Green

ChrisBraid

Currently painting some of these up for my F-15E. Instructions callout Olive Drab for the complete unit. But I'm seeing other pictures and color callouts they say the main body is Deep Bronze green?

Right Wrong or just sometimes :)

Also any idea of the FS number for the Deep Bronze Green? I believe its different to the British colour.

Many thanks, Chris

USAF bomb bodies are painted in FS 34088, so using Olive Drab is kind of right... I say kind of because the term Olive Drab can include different colours... in any case there's plenty of modelling paints that claim to match FS 34088.

Deep Bronze Green is a British colour from the BS381c standard that is used on British bombs.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2020 at 01:41, Space Ranger said:

FS 24050 or 24052; there is no exact equivalent. It was a lacquer with a semi-gloss finish.

On 16/01/2020 at 09:04, Giorgio N said:

USAF bomb bodies are painted in FS 34088, so using Olive Drab is kind of right... I say kind of because the term Olive Drab can include different colours... in any case there's plenty of modelling paints that claim to match FS 34088.

Deep Bronze Green is a British colour from the BS381c standard that is used on British bombs.

Thank you both. Ordered some paint and will make the best job I can :)

On 1/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, ChrisBraid said:

Currently painting some of these up for my F-15E. Instructions callout Olive Drab for the complete unit. But I'm seeing other pictures and color callouts they say the main body is Deep Bronze green?

Right Wrong or just sometimes :)

Also any idea of the FS number for the Deep Bronze Green? I believe its different to the British colour.

Many thanks, Chris

Chris,

These 2 examples are as close as you'll get to the color. The color hasn't changed as long as I can remember. Loaded LGB's in Thailand in 72 and both guidance unit colors I've installed.

IMG_3357

GBU-10 mounted on station 3 pylon and a GBU-24 on a stand below. Hope this helps. I used at one time was military brown and experimented with tones to get near the color.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 3

On 1/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, Giorgio N said:

While "Deep Bronze Green" may be a British color, there was also a Bronze Green specified by the USAAC/USAAF for interiors and anti-glare panels. It is available from Colourcoats (ACUS30).

• Like 1

Its worth while noting that bombs are generally stored outside and can weather a lot, where as Laser units are stored inside and dont weather as well.

It will be interesting to see if newer produced units arrive in green or grey like the newer smaller bombs.

Julien

• Like 1

14 hours ago, f111guru said:

Chris,

These 2 examples are as close as you'll get to the color. The color hasn't changed as long as I can remember. Loaded LGB's in Thailand in 72 and both guidance unit colors I've installed.

IMG_3357

GBU-10 mounted on station 3 pylon and a GBU-24 on a stand below. Hope this helps. I used at one time was military brown and experimented with tones to get near the color.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks. Great photo :)

18 minutes ago, Slater said:

FS34087 was in wide use before 34088, but the two are quite similar.

The two are more than quite similar, they are the same colour.

The history of FS 34087 and other "olive drabs" is long and convoluted and the introduction of 34088 is only the most recent. For some reason during the history of the various changes to FS 595, at some point the colour 34087 was not the same as 14087 and 24087. This caused problems in particular in the US Army as they used both gloss and flat colours for different uses.

In 1984, with Change.7 of the then FS595A, all these 3 colours had their codes changed: FS 34087 became 34088 while 24087 and 14087 became 24084 and 14084 respectively.  These numbers were carried into Rev.B of FS595.

Now things could be even more complicated.. I've seen mentions of the introduction at some point of a new set of colours with codes... 14087, 24087 and 34087 within FS 595B sometime in the '90s... different colours from the previous ones. What I can tell is that fortunately in AMS-STD-595, that replaced FS 595C in 2014, these are not present while there are FS 34088 (with no corresponding 14088 or 24088) and all 3 types of x4084.

And they say that having a standard makes the choice of paints easy....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The two are more than quite similar, they are the same colour.

The history of FS 34087 and other "olive drabs" is long and convoluted and the introduction of 34088 is only the most recent. For some reason during the history of the various changes to FS 595, at some point the colour 34087 was not the same as 14087 and 24087. This caused problems in particular in the US Army as they used both gloss and flat colours for different uses.

In 1984, with Change.7 of the then FS595A, all these 3 colours had their codes changed: FS 34087 became 34088 while 24087 and 14087 became 24084 and 14084 respectively.  These numbers were carried into Rev.B of FS595.

Now things could be even more complicated.. I've seen mentions of the introduction at some point of a new set of colours with codes... 14087, 24087 and 34087 within FS 595B sometime in the '90s... different colours from the previous ones. What I can tell is that fortunately in AMS-STD-595, that replaced FS 595C in 2014, these are not present while there are FS 34088 (with no corresponding 14088 or 24088) and all 3 types of x4084.

And they say that having a standard makes the choice of paints easy....

Hmmm, I might end up going with a green that "looks" right :D

1 hour ago, ChrisBraid said:

Hmmm, I might end up going with a green that "looks" right :D

Fortunately for us modellers things are a bit simpler... any paint claming to be matched to FS 34087 will try to match this colour as it was before being renamed 34088... and any paint claiming to be matched to 34088 will try to match the same. Of course not all will succeed in matching the standard, but in the end once you use some kind of US Olive Drab or a dark brown-green you'll be in the ballpark of what the bombs look like... with all the caveats about the name Olive Drab...  :D

• Like 1