Danish Double Seater - 1/72 F-100F

reini

spacer.png

Trimmed the panel bit too roughly, rounding the edges. Oh well. I added some plasticard strips for this panel for a better fit.

spacer.png

It's okay - but still not perfect fit. Rounded corners really show...

spacer.png

First layer of putty down to fill the biggest gaps, I will add a CA glue on top to smoothen out the small stuff.

spacer.png

Cockpit masked so dust won't be everywhere.

spacer.png

Wings & nose on, starting to look like a plane already.

spacer.png

I added some tubes (because I was out of rods...) for pinning the elevators in place. I will probably paint them separately to have some more room painting the engine heat stains etc.

spacer.png

Also assembled the tanks.

It's starting to be in quite good place this build - but still far from painting. I have already lightly rescribed the wings - but need to do the same for the fuselage. I felt that the details were just tiny bit soft. But need to clean out the fuselage first - fit is decent but there is some work to do around the nose. Bit worried that inside of the intake won't look too good, but I guess black paint will hide my crimes if nothing else helps. Wing joint seems good, just tiny amount of tidying up to do. Then have some more detailing to do for the cockpit - and the vacuform canopy, but might leave that to the end of the build. And taking care of all the small bits like landing gears etc.

Still thinking how I am going to do the worn out look, already thought about using salt weathering technique with different shades of metal, but the metal paints seem that they can't really take any excessive rubbing or brushing even with clear coat on. So I think I will add different coloured panels and some 'chipping' with paint brush with different colored metals. We will see how it goes once I get there :)

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Sanding, rescribing, filling, sanding, gluing, more sanding, more filling, cleaning parts, little bit more filling, sanding, rescribing again.... did I forget anything? 

Not very interesting but quite bit of work done to this - even if it seems I haven't done pretty much anything :P Gluing some bits and start preparing for undercoat.

spacer.png

• Like 6

spacer.png

I started the painting the nose of the plane. The nose will be red and I will be painting the area roughly and then masking it. I try to minimize the masking on top of the (quite fragile) metal paints.

spacer.png

Red is on. Bright enough? :D I'll let it dry over night and mask it out tomorrow - then I can paint the gloss black undercoat. Pretty excited to get to this part of the build - it's been quite a lot of work so far :)

• Like 6

Reini, you are making a superb job of this :). She really is looking great!

@Nimrod you are too kind. I'm no expert, neither on the F-100 or on modelling. I'm just happy to offer my thoughts and experiences. :)

Martin

• Like 2

spacer.png

I strongly dislike all kinds of wrap around decals - so I rather mask them and paint them if possible. I used the decals as base here to cut the shape onto a Tamiya masking tape.

spacer.png

We painted the red earlier so let's apply the mask on top.

spacer.png

So it was time for a gloss black primer.

spacer.png

I will also do a small experiment on the airframe - it's been painted with gloss black, execpt the back end which is flat NATO black. Will be interesting to see if it affects the sheen of the metal paint. As can be seen from the many photos, rear end of a Super Sabre was always stained and dulled down by the heat. And I guess it was also different more heat resistant metal (titanium?).  I will will be applying different shades of metal too.

• Like 10

Doh!! :doh:

I'd forgotten you're building this one....see I am over worked!

Nice idea with the masking instead of the decal.......least you know it's going to follow the fuselage shape unlike the decal will!

• Haha 2

spacer.png

Little bit of research on the paints. I really like the Vallejo Metal Color range of metal paints. Danish Super Sabres were painted silver - in pictures they appear almost grey so I will be going with 'Dull Aluminium' which creates really nice gray metal surface.

It seems my colors are way of in these two last photos - that photo above is better reference for the actual color, Dull Aluminium is on the left. Metallics are hard to photograph!

spacer.png

First layer of paints is on. Rear fuselage is yet to be painted, I will paint it some other color(s). It was different metal and left unpainted - and was also usually heavily stained by the heat.

spacer.png

I painted some of the parts using different metal paints. For example the fuel tanks were painted using Aluminium. Elevators are painted with Dull Aluminium.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I like the Metal Color range as well. Very easy to brushpaint too. 

Yeah - only downside is that they are pretty delicate. Masking & general handling is bit of an issue as it comes off quite easily.

Speaking of which - let's mask! A person with more patience might have waited for a longer time - and maybe even put down a clear coat to protect what's already there - but that's not me :P But i can already see that I need to do some touch ups to the main color anyway.

spacer.png

Rear end masked ready for painting.

spacer.png

I painted the rear with Vallejo Metal Color Pale Burnt Metal. I will add couple different shades to it once it's dried.

• Like 10

Looking at what you had to start with, I have to say you've done very impressive work. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

• Like 1

she does look good Reini, metallics are always hard to photograph properly.

I've tried that paint and I don't really like it, I just could get a nice finish with it.....not sure why.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Another round of masking. Wanted to paint the wheel wells & other interior parts slightly different shade. Also added some colors to the rear end.

spacer.png

Like so.

spacer.png

This paint really doesn't like masking - need to mist it over again with the main color and put on a clear coat.

spacer.png

Getting there, couldn't resist taking of the nose masking :) Clear coat is on so I can continue with the masking process. staining on the engine and couple details on the tail.

spacer.png

While the clear coat was drying, I worked on the details such as the landing gear. Here with main colors painted on.

spacer.png

And after Tamiya Panel Liner. I will add some landing gear dust to the wheels and some minor weathering to the struts.

• Like 10

Tidy work on the tyres and hubs. Nice definition :thumbsup: The red nose flash adds a lot of visual interest to this one as well.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

spacer.png

Added some heat staining to the rear fuselage. I used Citadel Shades - they are thinned down 'washes' but I thinned them even more.

spacer.png

Here is the result after little bit of toning down with the metal color. You think it's OK or needs more blending in? 

spacer.png

Painting last of the details, like red on the tail.

spacer.png

Red of the nose was also non-symmetric (slight masking error) that needed correcting.

spacer.png

Last of the details painted, I'd say we are pretty close for decals :)

I would need some airbrush tips. I'm not completely sold on the rear fuselage staining detail yet- even if the somewhat rough and spotty look kinda fits.  I'm using Vallejo Air and I can't seem to be able to do close up work neatly. Paint will either come out as 'spots' - or it will spider. You reckon there's something I can do about it? I'm using 0.3 nozzle and Vallejo Thinner.

• Like 6

that does look good!

All I could suggest for the tail staining maybe some bluish or orangish tinges to help highlight the aircraft framing . But I'd be happy with that result.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:481st_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron_-_F-100D_Super_Sabre.jpg

I don't use Vallejo (never been happy with the results) but I'd try and drop down to a 0.2mm nozzle/needle, really lower pressure, super thin paint and super low/fine flow. It sounds like there too much paint coming out and it hasn't atomised properly coming out of the nozzles. All my painting even for large jobs, I only use a 0.2mm nozzle and rarely full flow. With super thin lacquers I can get down to 2mm lines with a bit of practise.  I'd just play around with the mix ratios and pressure first.

• Like 2