Danish Double Seater - 1/72 F-100F

reini

spacer.png

Front wheel well is not very visible part - but has some ejection pin marks and has very basic details.

spacer.png

Couple simple additions. There didn't seem to be easy way to remove the other pin mark, so I decided to mask it instead.

spacer.png

Got rest of the aftermarket stuff - hopefully the last for this build :D 

spacer.png

Canopy, there is quite clear difference in the shape - on the forward part. As was mentioned already in this thread by Ridge Runner. Now that you can see them side by side, difference is easy to see and will change the looks quite a bit. Have not worked with vacuform canopies before so have to be careful. Hoping to display the canopy open.

spacer.png

Seats look nice. I will try to make couple additions to make them look more Mk.5 seats - but they do look quite good as is.

spacer.png

Comparing to the kit seats, they are quite small. Or rather, kit seats look quite big.

spacer.png

I wrestled the wheel well and cockpit apart and taped the cockpit into 'up' position. These smaller seats look too low but let's see with canopy...

spacer.png

Yep, definitely too low - and this is with the kit canopy that is bit lower than the vacform. I'll add big height under the seats to raise them a bit.

Bit overwhelmed by all these extra parts and changes. I need to sort out the fit and location for the wheel well and cockpit. Have to block out the intake tube in front of the cockpit. Add some nose weight. And I haven't even started to look at the resin exhaust. Still a long way before I can close the fuselage but I'll have to sort things out so that I don't do things in wrong order or forget something... couple days off from work so I'll have some time to figure things out! :)

• Like 7

You're making fine progress with all this Reini and although it might seem to be taking a while to progress the build, the time taken to get this right will most certainly be rewarded when you finish. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

They are exactly the seats and canopy that I used, Reini. As I recall, and it was a while ago, the canopy waseasy but needed a bit of sanding to get the correct fit. I used that MB seat for my single-seater. My F-100F was Turkish and had the original seats. You are making excellent progress and your skills are evident in your posts. I'm enjoying this from a spectator's perspective :). It makes me want to get my next F-100D out of the box and built! ;)

Martin

PS: those sets need to be much higher as you can see in the post I sent to earlier of a Danish TF-100F

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

They are exactly the seats and canopy that I used, Reini. As I recall, and it was a while ago, the canopy waseasy but needed a bit of sanding to get the correct fit. I used that MB seat for my single-seater. My F-100F was Turkish and had the original seats. You are making excellent progress and your skills are evident in your posts. I'm enjoying this from a spectator's perspective :). It makes me want to get my next F-100D out of the box and built! ;)

Martin

PS: those sets need to be much higher as you can see in the post I sent to earlier of a Danish TF-100F

Thank you! Your help has been great - and the builds you've done inspirational and made me delve into this model maybe a bit more than I originally intended :) But it's been great fun and rewarding so far.

Yes, the seats are indeed low. It seems that the top of the seats should be pretty much on level with the windshield frame top.

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

all those goodies look nice, that canopy is a vest improvement. It looks like you have some fiddling to sort of the fit and position but that shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, I think that won't be too hard. I'll just find the right height for the cockpit and create some supports for it - and raise the seats a bit if need be :)

But before the cockpit, I did some work on the rear.

spacer.png

Resin exhaust is looking good :) 

spacer.png

Have not worked a lot with resin, but it's quite nice material. Just have to remember that the dust is toxic, so work with water so the dust doesn't spread.

spacer.png

Parts cut out and ready for dry fitting. 

spacer.png

There was not really an assembly instructions - but I decided to do it the way it was probably not meant to be assembled. The nozzle was probably meant to be glued on top of the rear, just like the kit part. But I left some extra material on the nozzle so that I can stick it partly inside the model. I just had to cut the rear open, as I have done here. I'm hoping it will look just a bit more nicer this way.

spacer.png

In order to get a good fit, the excess material needed to be sanded a little.

spacer.png

A bit more thinning here and there, but it's very close.

spacer.png

This way I can glue the whole exhaust & nozzle together and stick it in at the end of the build. Should make things just a little bit easier.

• Like 9

Very nice work, Reini. If I were to be pedantic I'd say the rear fuselage could be hollowed out a bit more. The F-100 had a distinct gap around the jetpipe/afterburner. Your idea is certainly creative, though. 

Martin

• Like 2

There seems to be a lot of work going on in order to achieve an accurate Danish F-100? I must say it's all very impressive. Watching on and taking notes. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There seems to be a lot of work going on in order to achieve an accurate Danish F-100? I must say it's all very impressive. Watching on and taking notes. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yes and no. Apart from the canopy, kit is not bad and can be built straight from the box. But once you improve one thing, it leads to another thing ... and before you know it, you have cut your kit to pieces and ordered a ton of aftermarket stuff :D Im just having little bit extra fun with this kit :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Despite my best efforts, @JeroenS is moving ahead with his truck at great speeds - I really need to step up my game in order to keep up :P 

So bringing out the plasticard, this is the part of the build where I will 'wing it' mostly.

spacer.png

Exhaust doesn't fit into the fuselage once the fuselage is closed after all, so I need to secure it in place now. I built some crude supports for it out of plasticard.

spacer.png

So that it would be more or less snug fit and roughly in the center. The nozzle will do the final centering so I'm not too worried about that.

spacer.png

Looks about right. 

spacer.png

Then onto the fuselage. First I tested appropriate height for the jump seats in order to figure out what I needed to do. I did two things, added stuff on the bottom of the seats - and lifted the whole cockpit up a bit.

spacer.png

There wasn't really anything that the cockpit rested upon - so I glued strips onto the fuselage sides for the cockpit. Also shaved a little so I could fit the cockpit little bit higher. After several test fittings, I glued the cockpit on the other side of the fuselage, I felt it was necessary to get all the things figured out and aligned in the nose.

spacer.png

Also glued the nose wheel well. Note the substantial gap between the wheel well and cockpit - parts that the instructions guided me to glue together... Granted, I've done some adjusting of parts since that but the fit was pretty bad in any case.

spacer.png

I blanked out the cockpit so the light wouldn't be coming thru. Will be painted black and hopefully creates good enough illusion for the intake. Also added some weight to the nose - everybody hates a tail sitter.

spacer.png

Some details added to the cockpit and test fitted all parts that they fit.

spacer.png

There is a separate panel under the nose - with the guns - that has a really poor fit.

spacer.png

Added some thin plasticard strips to the panel sides - will be cut down and sanded for a hopefully snug fit.

To be continued...

• Like 12

This is certainly my type of modelling Reini. Plenty of head scratching and use of plastic card and strip to sort out fit and detail issues. This is a very impressive WIP and your solutions and work arounds are very useful indeed. 

Cheers and keep up the great work.. Dave 

• Like 1

nice work Reini, a lot of custom fitting there to get it all the fit and sit nice, well done......

....especially for someone who hasn't built Ikea furniture!!! :tease:  The look of terror and confusion when you look at all the bits and the instructions...the pure joy after a couple of days frustration to finally have it all completed (even if you have a couple of bits left over!!! :whistle:)  then the devastation and pure disbelief to find one bit (usually one of the first bits) is the wrong way around and that's why you have bits leftover.........then it falls apart as soon as you use it.

The worst of it is to find your beloved sitting up in bed reading the latest catalogue, followed by "gee doesn't this look nice"! :door:

• Haha 5

Soo many builds, I hardly know which one to work on currently :P But Super Sabre is in a good place so I thought I'd move it ahead a bit.

spacer.png

Black for the interior & intake - to create some shadow and hide possible crimes...

spacer.png

Dark Ghost Gray as the main cockpit color.

spacer.png

Some black to pick out the details.

spacer.png

Also some paint for the exhaust & engine parts.

spacer.png

Cockpit done! Apart from the seats. Also will add some small amount of pigments to create little variation. Quite basic details - but I think the seats will add great deal of interest. No dials for the gauges but they will have to do ...

spacer.png

... and we can close up this colorful beast! :D So it will be sanding of the fuselage seam now and we can put on the wings - which luckily are already done.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, reini said:

Cockpit done! Apart from the seats.

Don't forget the throttle lever for the rear seater!

Otherwise looking great, I'm enjoying watching this come together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Don't forget the throttle lever for the rear seater!

Otherwise looking great, I'm enjoying watching this come together.

Oh, right, don't always remember to check what plane is a rear-cockpit controllable and what isn't :) Throttle lever didn't come with the kit - just a simple piece of plasticard. But I'll have to do the same for the rear cockpit, thanks for pointing that out!

EDIT: Rear seat having a flight stick should have made it obvious having the throttle too :P 

Edited by reini
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I didn't know you were building a hedgehog (or maybe a dinosaur)?? What a cute wee thing, I didn't know you had them in Finland!!! :D

It's somekind of special breed that has been taken a liking of my build area, they seem to spawn there every now and then :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3