This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Shide58

Modelling mid-life crisis?

Nothing wrong in building old kits, I buy kits with the intention of building them, not to keep them pristine or as investments, although if that is what people want to do, fair enough and I am glad that there are collectors who are keeping an archive for the future. 

Last year I built ex Frog kits of the Hotspur glider and Bristol 138 for the Frog Group Build. They are the only kits available in 1/72nd scale and scrubbed up well. 

14 minutes ago, Shide58 said:

OK, I don't subscribe to either flikr or photobucket.

There are many sites where you can either subscribe, or use one of the free sites. I use Village Photos which is free, and there is an "idiot's guide" in FAQs. Avoid Photobucket, unless you enjoy being ripped off.

John.

The Robotech T Rex kit!!  I started building one but hated the upper half, so it's in a box somewhere. The legs will be used for a warhammer 40k ork dreadnought of some kind. 

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

and you're not, like, painting them using the blood of babies

Killjoy! 

So much for the Red Arrows diorama I was planning.

21 hours ago, Shide58 said:

I don't really have any qualms about building older kits, just wondered if some regarded them as 'historical model artefacts'. I'll build them pretty much as intended as an 11 year old me.

Exactly. I built a Revell 1/28 scale SPAD XIII a few years ago, going so far as to doing it as I would have when it was new, in other words no airbrush and doing the rigging with black thread as laid out in the instructions. I have the Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane in the same scale that I plan on building the same way.

Of course it is, i spent the early part of 2017 watching ebay and snatching up cheap 1/35 Tamiya armour from my youth, great fun to build now and taking me back.

Kits are made to be built. Not for sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Chuck them together, slap some paint on stick the transfers down and fly them around making vroom daka-daka-daka and explosive noises while you're doing it. It is how its meant to be.

Currently building the 1959 Wellington.

49393972013_494e7a8176_z.jpg

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

There are many sites where you can either subscribe, or use one of the free sites. I use Village Photos which is free, and there is an "idiot's guide" in FAQs. Avoid Photobucket, unless you enjoy being ripped off.

John.

My connection to Village Photos appears 'not secure'?

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:27 PM, Brad said:

Go for it. Next thing you know you'll be driving a sports car and dating 20 year old blondes. :)

11 hours ago, Shide58 said:

My connection to Village Photos appears 'not secure'?

If you read through the 'Photo Host' post I linked to on the first page of this thread, there are many sites that are secure and just as good as Village Photos.

A wee taster of forthcoming builds related to this thread. Airfix Fairey Firefly, maybe a slightly later issue, but built from the box, no added detail. The only concession to 'modernity' was that it was airbrushed in authentic acrylic colours.

Nice, but should have had a "K" on the tail ...