Revell 1/24 McLaren-Mercedes MP4/20 (driven by Kimi Raikkonen)

srkirad

Good evening mates, I've finally found some time to make few photos of my participant in this GB.

First, I would like to thank to Trickyrich once again, for modifying GB rules because of this model :)

I will join with Revell's kit of Formula 1 car in 1/24 - McLaren-Mercedes MP4/20 that was driven by Kimi Raikkonen during 2005 F1 season.

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-001.jpg

This build will be a real challenge for me, as I didn't do any car models since I've started with a bit more serious kit modelling (using airbrush, paying attention to some details etc).

This will be my first experience with scale model polishing, using all those paints, varnishes, and polishing compounds in so many repeating stages.

And all this to be done in ~4 months... well.. yeah... a real challenge for me! :)

Here are the parts

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-002.jpg

Decal sheet is a huge one, containing carbon fibre panels, and some silver/gold ones (small sheet).

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-003.jpg

And finally the proof that this kit belongs to Scandinavian/Nordic theme - I knew this small flag had to be somewhere, but didn't notice it in first looking!

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-004.jpg

Well, that would be intro... we'll see how it goes with this one soon :)

Cheers,

S.

• Like 14

haha welcome aboard, I was wondering when you'd get this thread up.

So really nice to see something which is truly different and outside the box in a/this GB, well done.

I allowed this because Kimi is probably a more famous Nordic person/machine then anything else in this GB! :D

It's a nice looking model in Revell's typical horrible box. I agree I think you'll have your work cutout for you with this build, but it should be really good to follow.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure there'll be a lot of Kimi fans following this one. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I allowed this because Kimi is probably a more famous Nordic person/machine then anything else in this GB! :D

Yeah, I think we could say Kimi IS a machine! :D One of the most cool drivers I've ever seen - emotions: stealth, smile after pole/win: non-existent/rare, quality on track: steel good even not in so good team anymore,... in one word - ICEMAN!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, I'll do my best to finish in time (of course it's finnish, it's KIMIIIII!), and not to mess up something.. at least not too much :D

Today I've ordered from AliExpress some buffing add-ons for dremel tool, so hopefully they arrive in a month or so... I'll try to assemble as much as I can do in the meantime, and to paint something that doesn't require polishing & buffing procedure.

And of course, I'm looking forward to see all those Viggens, Drakens, Krakkens (:D) and other Nordic thingies from all of you... I think it's gonna be good fun in this one.

Cheers and good luck to all with respective builds!

S.

• Like 1

I didn't start real work on this kit yet as was in process of finishing Spit and Hurricane in KUTA GB, but used some spare time to think of ideas how to represent carbon fiber texture on areas which Revell didn't provide with decals of it.

After some various thoughts, I chose to try spraying very dilluted Gold with some black over black surface, through pattern similar to carbon fiber.

This is the result - it maybe looks a bit dark with less contrast, but I'll add another drop or two of Gold in final painting.

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-005.jpg

Decals of carbon texture look pretty bright and shiny  for my taste, so I'll probably overspray them with few thin layers of highly dilluted black...and photos of this car in real racing conditions show that texture is more dull, like this effect I've achieved.

What do you think of it?

And here is the "testing mule" which will be used for whole process of painting and polishing of McLaren West livery...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-006.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

I read somewhere on the forum (can't remember which build) that for that build carbon fibre effect was made by spraying dark silver over a black base, through a pantyhose. After that, I think some black was lightly sprayed over the pantyhose, not completely covering the silver. It may be worth a try as it looked pretty good. 

Well that's quite similar to my testing, only I've used gold instead of silver, as on reference photos golden shade can be seen.

My pattern was piece of an old "silky" curtain made of really fine mesh, so it is basically same idea.

I am only worried a bit how to fasten tightly that mesh over parts during spraying - this one was easy as it was just the plain surface of car door.

Parts on McLaren to be finished in carbon texture are mostly thin and curved (parts of suspension), aside those larger areas that are flat (floor around intakes and wings).

All in all, for the first test I am pretty satisfied, and maybe just a biiiiiit of more gold to emphasize mesh effect, and if it is too strong, I'll tone it down with dilluted black.

• Like 3

Yeah, that Aston should be done similar to JB 007, but, unfortunately (it can be seen on the photo) right windscreen column is broken from the start, and during years and years sitting in the tight box, roof is folded down on that side...

I'll fix it someday, but for now it is the only car model in my stash suitable for testing of car painting and polishing techniques.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srkirad said:

Decals of carbon texture look pretty bright and shiny  for my taste

I agree with that, although the bigger issue for me has always been the scale of the carbon pattern replicated on the decals. It often looks too large to suit the scale of the model. I like this approach to get the carbon effect, a bit more subtle. I look forward to seeing how you get on with it. 

Martin.

• Thanks 1

I like the test work, doesn't look too bad. 

The pantyhose may be the way to go, you should be able to get some really fine mesh ones.......though searching through them all may get you some odd looks!  :D

Or some ultra fine wire mesh, I came across some stuff years ago, mat have come from a hydraulic filter.  

• Thanks 1

I have now officially started work on this kit!

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-007.jpg

Some parts are assembled, but it won't be so straight business as I thought - a lot of edges of parts have some minor flash, but more annoying are moulding lines that need to be sanded away... and there are quite a plenty of them here and there.

Floor  is nicely moulded and wooden plank that has purpose of controlling of ride height of every F1 car is... well.. pretty :) I have some experience of painting wood texture so hopefully it will be welcome now.

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-008.jpg

It should look something like this when finished

5c9522dc63a3d1a1ef62d1f58d7cff04

There were some nasty ejection pinmarks on rear of the chassis and in the middle of the driver's seat 😠

Some Tamiya putty and Dremmelling made thing better, we'll see after painting...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-009.jpg

Join of air intake halves is pretty strong - it will not be easy to smooth out those seams...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-010.jpg

Dryfit of cockpit area - it seems satisfying...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-011.jpg

I'll try to prepare as much subassemblies that go into Carbon texture for the beginning.

The main part of painting on every car - body - will be done later.

In these initial steps there is no need for extra polishing procedure as for the body - I think that regular semigloss and gloss varnishes will satisfy look of those lower parts of chassis....

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

I guess bad mould engineering happens from time to time...

It's true that work around these marks slows down me a bit, but, it's OK, 'cause I don't have all polishing equipment available yet, so I work on subassemblies in the meantime.

• Like 2

Some more work was done on McLaren.

This part of bodywork was badly moulded and was missing some of the plastic, so I've patched it with super glue - when it dries it will be sanded to the shape.

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-012.jpg

Air intake section was puttied and sanded, but the intake itself had a very visible seam that painting wouldn't hide, so I've decided to hollow it.

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-013.jpg

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-014.jpg

But, now the assembling pins of two halves of intake are visible through it, so I'll make some kind of inner intake "pipe" - probably piece of styrene sheet or aluminium foil...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-015.jpg

The hole on the top of intake is where on-board camera stands so it's not a mistake for being visible :)

Other parts that were assembled are sanded and are waiting for the black primer, and treatment with micromesh + Brass paint for achieving effect of Carbon fiber texture....

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am really sorry for not posting recently - I got busy around P-51 in Mustang GB, so McLaren was put in background a bit.

Anyways, I was looking at the seat these days, and realised that Revell did a pretty poor job - it looked almost 2D - so I decided to improve it a bit, at least as far as I my skills approve...

I've tried to grind down the existing seatbealts, but batteries on my handy "dremmel" were gone, so why they are recharging, I attacked seat itself.

I've made it from 0,3mm styrenne - when superglue dries I will fix the seams with Milliput...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-016.jpg

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-017.jpg

Seabelts are to be made of Tamiya 2.5mm tape - I think it is ok regarding of width.

I've also fixed intake - join pins were visible, so I've masked them with a piece of 0.2mm styrenne...

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-018.jpg

mclaren-mercedes-mp4-20-019.jpg

Hopefully I will soon "attack" this kit a bit more - P-51 is a priority to finish at the moment 😳

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, srkirad said:

Hopefully I will soon "attack" this kit a bit more - P-51 is a priority to finish at the moment 😳

No worries, you've got a couple of months left in this GB 🙂 

Nice work on the seat. 

• Thanks 1

I will follow along with this

I have built a few F1 cars over the years, but always Tamiya or Fujimi as they are 1/20th not the Revell 1/24th scale

I have built Revell aircraft and I don't know if it's just me, but they always seem to fight you every step of the way with bad tool design where seams and ejector pins are most visible and hard to work. Looks like the cars are no different, will they ever learn, and don't start me on the end opening boxes........... 🤣

Looks like you're winning the fight though :) 

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1