Jaguar XK-E, Revell 1/25th

Been a while since I've been on Britmodeller.  I wanted to post up some photos of my just-finished Jaguar XK-E.  This is one of my all time favorite cars.  I had a chance to own a coupe a few years ago.  My wife's sister had one sitting in her "barn" and wanted to get rid of it.  I considered it but it needed a major restoration.  Lots of surface rust, pitted chrome, cracked paint.  And it was a coupe, not the convertible.  I didn't have room for it or a place to work on it so I passed.  If it was a convertible I might have tried harder to make it work.

Alas, I settle for the model...

This is a kit that I picked up at a car model show a couple of years ago.  I haven't finished a car model in about 15 years.  I've started a few but lose interest before I get to the body work.  Last one done was a 2004 Corvette Z06.

The kit was pretty rough.  Every part had flash and mold lines to clean up.  Larger parts also had injection pin marks and/or sink marks to be dealt with, or not.  The chrome parts had one side really shiny and the other side kind of dull.  It worked out well for the wire spoke wheels, but the bumpers were kind of a mess.  Along with the mold seams to scrape off.  I touched them up with Testors Model Master Chrome.  Looks ok for a couple feet away.

Exterior color is Tamiya TS-43 from the spray can.  Interior is Model Master Luftwaffe RLM 79, the upper color on Africa-based aircraft.  It looked to me to be the best match from my paint locker.  I found hundreds of photos on the web to use as references.  Lots of these cars for sale around the country, with lots of photos to go with them.

I left off the side mirrors to keep the clean lines flowing.  

I put the Jaguar next to the Corvette, same scale, and was surprised how much smaller the Jaguar is..  The 1:1 car looks bigger in real life, I guess it's the  perspective of the long hood.

49390588971_2efec8c887_b.jpgLeft Side 3 by Mark Veile, on Flickr

If this photo posting works (no preview?) I'll post additional photos.

Hey, it worked!

49390585391_3e7916361d_b.jpgJag with Box by Mark Veile, on Flickr

Some of the body work.  Had to fill sink marks and the upper/lower seams several times.

49390790027_2919314948_b.jpgBody Work Left Side by Mark Veile, on Flickr

49390591046_1ee16603f2_b.jpgHood Up 3 by Mark Veile, on Flickr

Size comparison to Corvette

49390787802_054afb3aaf_b.jpgJag Corvette Compare by Mark Veile, on Flickr

Edited by Mark V
added photos
  • Like 10

Really nice job Mark on truly horrible kit. Someday hopefully Revell AG or one of their competitors will re-tool a 1/24-1/25 roadster and/ or coupe series 1, I think they’d sell like hot cakes.

I built a red one of these for my wife about five years and managed to loose it during our last move. It was the only model build she has ever requested from me and every time she brings up the need for me to build a replacement, I quickly change the subject....

• Haha 1

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. It was a challenging kit, but most of the flaws are repairable. The chrome is the hardest part, but I think Bare Metal Foil chrome could be used. I didn’t have any and it would be very hard to wrap the little bumpers. Also the mold mismatch on the soft vinyl tires were hard to clean up. I shaved them with a knife, then tried using the Dremel tool to spin them on sandpaper. At least they’re round. I never got the sink marks at the base of the seat backs filled and smoothed to my satisfaction. 

Dbo, good job on your kit. I like the colors. It’s hard for me to get a good white finish. I’ve got an airliner on hold because I couldn’t get the white to lay on correctly. 

From what I’ve been told about this kit, it was originally released in 1963. The one I built had a 1994 date on the box. The Revell AG kit was 2011 and again in 2013. There’s also an Austin Powers release in between, 2000. This info is on Scalemates. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 12:46 AM, nearsightedjohn said:

Someday hopefully Revell AG or one of their competitors will re-tool a 1/24-1/25 roadster and/ or coupe series 1, I think they’d sell like hot cakes.

Revell Germany will release a newly tooled coupe later this year.