Danish Westland Lynx - HobbyBoss 1/72 --- FINISHED ---

desert falcon

Evening all,

Thought it’s was time for something with the red and white roundel on it, so this will be my humble contribution to the Nordic GB 🙂

d8c00cf4a8690c4ca0e124c923f8dd95.jpg

It’s the HobbyBoss 87240 1/72 Westland Lynx, which I will be doing OBB. The kit provides for the options of either doing a Portuguese Mk.95 or a Danish Mk.90, obviously I’ll be doing the marine blue Danish Mk.90.

0fde4b8c8ac338d6fe10e4c67cdbc181.jpg

The box art is showing S-256 flying away from the icebreaker ship “Thorbjørn”, which was one of three sister ships (Danbjørn, Isbjørn and Thorbjørn) once operated by the Royal Danish Navy. Though Thorbjørn didn’t have a Heli pad on it, I guess it’s not unrealistic that they would have met in the icy waters surrounding the kingdom of Denmark. And a nice illustration anyway.

More history on the Lynx in RDN service later, for now some pictures of box content.

d107443487e63db91b3cba96c23cf3ba.jpg

87b319eccd3e0a4e3a3b43cd5f70acfc.jpg

5c35aa1706a9fde3615f55ad9a2b5b7b.jpg

f461ff7273d9c5ade966d0d6a5451c5d.jpg

I really don’t have much experience from other kits yet, but all parts appear to be of good quality and the level of detail is fine. The instructions seem to be ok as well, one thing I did notice however, is that they got the colour references a bit off on the marking and painting sheet. We shall see how it comes together?

43468c547159b8956122f26e1fc11846.jpg

Not only this will be my first GB, it’s also only my second overall build, after I picked up on the hobby again. Very much looking forward to it and hoping to get some good advice from you experienced guys as I go along.

Happy building too your all, will be interesting to follow everyone’s WIP and to enjoy the final results!

Cheers

Johnny b

Edited by desert falcon
  • Like 18

55 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Evening all,

Thought it’s was time for something with the red and white roundel on it, so this will be my humble contribution to the Nordic GB 🙂

Yes - while I prefer blue & white roundels - you are right. I mean we are overrun by swedes! :winkgrin:

55 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Not only this will be my first GB, it’s also only my second overall build, after I picked up on the hobby again. Very much looking forward to it and hoping to get some good advice from you experienced guys as I go along.

Welcome back! I've been back in the saddle for a year now and no regrets :) Have fun with your build!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

welcome along Johnny and with our first chopper of the build.

Nice to see members straying from the usual aircraft for a build like this. It look to be a nicely detailed model, I look forward to seeing how she builds up.

Well good luck with the build, hopefully it's an enjoyable one.

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

Could any of you kind people out there help me on the right colours for the interior on the Danish Lynx please?

There are very few photos on the internet where you can get a proper peek of the cabin of the Danish version.

The Marking & Painting sheet included in the kit does list some colours, but the instructions does not give any specific reference where to use them (except for the external paint, which is given as “F - Clear Orange ???). 

These are the colours given on the Painting sheet. 

6c9b1e76e86325d8bde4332d42b9f67e.jpg

158d24bd79ef23c2b5a94a0b6ee29ac3.jpg

This is how the cockpit/cabin will come together. 

0e3f07c4155109b87625b445fceca20c.jpg

I found a good photo of the instrument panel, for anything else I would be grateful for colour refences or a photo link. 

The kit is depicting S-256 as a Mk.90, if it makes any difference?

Many thanks!

Johnny b 

• Like 2

Always good to see a rotary-wing build...

....I don't know much about the Lynx, but would guess that like Westland's Sea King, the interior base colour could be Dark Admiralty Grey...

....Ex-FAAWAFU might be able to help - he's a former Lynx driver...

Edited by andyf117
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Always good to see a rotary-wing build...

....I don't know much about the Lynx, but would guess that like Westland's Sea King, the interior base colour could be Dark Admiralty Grey...

....Ex-FAAWAFU might be able to help - he's a former Lynx driver...

Thanks a lot andyf117, we’ll see if @Ex-FAAWAFU is “listening in” ...

Hi @Jens, from some older posts here on BM I learn that you were working on the Lynx in the Danish Air Force, you got to be the man who can help me 😁

Cheers 

Johnny b 

39 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Looking over reference material here on on the cold war bit of BM, item C20 needs about 2 to 3 mm removing off its bottom. If not the main rotor will stand too high.

Regards Toby

Thanks a lot Toby, I’ll take this into consideration once I get started. 

RN Lynxes had grey interiors, as @andyf117 says.  No idea about Danish ones, but I see no reason why they'd be different.  The Mk. 80 Danish Lynx (equivalent to RN Mk 3) had a non-folding tail, but the Mk.90 was after my time so not sure.

Hope that helps!

Crisp

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks a lot andyf117, we’ll see if @Ex-FAAWAFU is “listening in” ...

Hi @Jens, from some older posts here on BM I learn that you were working on the Lynx in the Danish Air Force, you got to be the man who can help me 😁

Cheers 

Johnny b 

That's right. We retired the Lynx a couple of years ago but there are things that I still remember about the Lynx. ;)

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

RN Lynxes had grey interiors, as @andyf117 says.  No idea about Danish ones, but I see no reason why they'd be different.  The Mk. 80 Danish Lynx (equivalent to RN Mk 3) had a non-folding tail, but the Mk.90 was after my time so not sure.

Hope that helps!

Crisp

It's the other way around; the Mk. 80s had folding tails while the Mk. 90Bs had fixed tails.

Jens

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hope that helps!

Crisp

Thanks a lot!

Edited by desert falcon

6 hours ago, Jens said:

That's right. We retired the Lynx a couple of years ago but there are things that I still remember about the Lynx. ;)

It's the other way around; the Mk. 80s had folding tails while the Mk. 90Bs had fixed tails.

Jens

Thanks Jens, then maybe you can help me on the interior colours on the Danish Lynx?

From the few photos and old posts I have found, mainly thanks to you, I see that the cabin floor was covered by a red brown plywood. 

The insulation material covering the cabin seems to be of a lighter grey than the British versions, which I think was more green’ish? (or maybe it’s just the lighting)

From one photo the pilot seat cover seems to be red, but if this is just a protection cover while on ground I am not sure?

Should the fabric on the foldable cabin seats be blue, like on the British Lynx?

Found a link to a Lynx gallery on your old homepage, but unfortunately you might have closed this down 😪 

Would you be able to post a couple of Danish cockpit/cabin pics here please?

Many thanks!

Johnny 

Good choice Johnny and so good to have a returned modeller taking part in a great Group Build. I've often wondered how these Lynx kits build up so will watch on from afar but with plenty of interest and encouragement. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good choice Johnny and so good to have a returned modeller taking part in a great Group Build. I've often wondered how these Lynx kits build up so will watch on from afar but with plenty of interest and encouragement. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

Thanks a lot Dave, I’m equally excited myself! Just need to get my paint shopping sorted and I’m ready to go 🙂

The main interior colour on the Danish Lynx was medium grey. I suspect it to be Dark Admiralty Grey, but I am not sure. The floor was pale plywood with medium grey framing. 

Cabin_4500.jpg

Cabin_5060.jpg

Cabin_5061.jpg

The passenger seat with red cushions are actually an extra fuel tank.

Jens

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jens said:

The main interior colour on the Danish Lynx was medium grey. I suspect it to be Dark Admiralty Grey, but I am not sure. The floor was pale plywood with medium grey framing. 

Cabin_4500.jpg

Cabin_5060.jpg

Cabin_5061.jpg

The passenger seat with red cushions are actually an extra fuel tank.

Jens

Thanks a lot Jens, much appreciated !!

Think you gentlemen are right, it's Dark Admiralty Grey throughout ... 

Thanks again to you all.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

So finally I’m off to a start on the blue Lynx.

9b02cb698816b8335f1b684a58b15111.jpg

Nothing has been glued yet, just a dry fit. As can be seen, there is still some painting to be done. The cabin floor will get a kind of plywood color, different to the grey colour of the cockpit floor and the blue on the rear bench will have to be toned down. 

The kit provides for two extra benches in the cabin, but I have opted for less “furniture”, as I might want to display her in a diorama, with some sort equipment in the cabin?

ebdbf8ae7cdb713e104819c1a2e8ea74.jpg

Overall the parts in the kit are rather clean. There is an injection mark on both sides of the fuselage, just above til fuel cap. Will have to see if I can carefully sand them down, without removing half of the fuselage! If not, I might just leave it?

Have already taken note of the size of the thin tail rotor guard (not sure if this is the correct term for such a thing), so that when it (the inevitable) happens that I knock it off, it can be replaced with something a bit more sturdy 😀

As can be seen on the picture above, the kit depicts a Lynx with a foldable tail. As per the photo references I have,  the subject tail number S-256 didn’t seem to have that. I am afraid my current modelling skills doesn’t ‘cater’ for the removal of these, so I'll just leave it as it is. I’m sure there are plenty of other details which isn’t a 100% correct either (like the cockpit instrumentation).

b8643dd7a5523ddcca85573c8c4c8717.jpg

So far everything seems to be fitting rather well, the gaps in the dry fit is just because I was to lazy to tape it up for the photo.

A question for the more experienced heli builders please; would you guys give it some weight below the cabin floor?

Think it might be a good idea, to make sure she’s sitting firmly on the wheels. 

As per the advice from Toby above, I will have to lower the main rotor as well, as it is sitting a bit high. 

Thanks for watching!

Edited by desert falcon
  • Like 5