Danish Westland Lynx - HobbyBoss 1/72 --- FINISHED ---

desert falcon

On 2/15/2020 at 5:50 AM, Planebuilder62 said:

How about putting weight in the nose cone? Plenty of space there.

The further forward you put it, the less you'll need - not sure that much (if any) is required anyway, with the main wheels being towards the rear of the body...

....so as Toby says, the nose is the ideal place...

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the encouragement 🙂

8 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The further forward you put it, the less you'll need - not sure that much (if any) is required anyway, with the main wheels being towards the rear of the body...

....so as Toby says, the nose is the ideal place...

Thank you both Andy and Toby, I’ll make sure to put some weight in the nose then! 

Cheers

Johnny b 

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

So finally got around the blue danish again, after doing absolutely nothing for the last 4 weeks. Just too many bad excuses. 

But while the glue on the instrument panel is drying, I have a newbie question for you guys. 

How would you go about painting the windshield wipers?

6d34c6ad54b94a45c165659cc946ccf5.jpg

As can be seen in the photo, they are part of the injection-moulded clear part. 

Would you mask off the windshields completely, including the wipers, before priming the heli and then hand brush the wipers at the very end (horror) or what technique would you use please? 

Just to make it a bit more interesting, the wiper arms are double. 

Cheers

Johnny b

• Like 1

What a brilliant idea, moulded on wipers on the clear part... I would probably paint them last, mask them a little bit at the sides and then freehand them with a small brush... over a couple of sessions, while choosing the most "zen" moments 🙂  When you use water-based acryllics like Vallejo you can easily remove it with water while it's still wet, or with a sharpened cocktail stick when it has dried. Thinking about it some more, I would use an acryllic marker (like Molotov) to do the top, and brush the sides. Good luck with them 🙄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @JeroenS for your advice. Unfortunately “zen moments” isn’t one of my merits, but I’ll give it a go anyway 😬

Vallejo is available around, here just need to get my hands on a black one, once the shops are open and I’m allowed to go out again (I’m currently in home quarantine). 

Not sure I can get an acryllic marker here, so think I’ll just stick to the brush and some water-based acryllics. AMMO MIC should also be water-based if I am not mistaken, can get that here as well. 

Thanks again! 

they are not the easiest to do, hand painting with an acrylic is the easiest. As Jeroen said, it's nice and easy to clean up with something like a toothpick.

I have tried a fine tip marker pen before but they dry quite glossy .

Good to see you're back to this build.

13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

they are not the easiest to do, hand painting with an acrylic is the easiest. As Jeroen said, it's nice and easy to clean up with something like a toothpick.

I have tried a fine tip marker pen before but they dry quite glossy .

Good to see you're back to this build.

Thanks Rich!

Last peek of the cabin before closing hour ...

f55d22faa1ce3a61b772d164225a8f2e.jpg

The cabin is rather sparse, but as it will be displayed in doors closed configuration, I didn’t bother to much with the details. Some tape seatbelts might have looked nice, but it was time to move on. 

9baeaffe09ab77713f09f349819f21cb.jpg

The fit of the kit has so far been excellent. 

I was a bit generous on the cement at certain places, so some light sanding is required. And a little bit of filling here and there as well, but not much. 

The main rotor is purposely left removable, for storage and transportation. 

Cheers 

Johnny b 

Edited by desert falcon
  • Like 4

wow from here those joins look really good.

It's nice to here that a model goes together nicely......especially when compared to some of the beasts being built here!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just take it slow, nice thin light coats is the trick, just make sure the paint is well mixed and thinned. It doesn't really hurt if it's a bit too thin, better that than thick stuff!

I don't know the airbrush you'll be using, but try and keep the pressure low as well as the paint flow. Again nice light coats are the way to go and try to avoid letting areas get too wet.

Good luck with it, once you are use to it you'll never go back. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @trickyrich !!

Unfortunately I only have a cheap compressor with an on/off function and no pressure regulation. It was the only one I could find here at the time, without paying massive over price.

The airbrush is a 0.3 mm double action made by a company called WAVE Corporation, don’t know if anyone on here have experience with this product?

Have later discovered a place in Dubai selling Iwata products, have heard good things about them here on BM. 

For the primer I’ll be using Vallejo, will thin it well and add some flow improver as well 🙂

that should be fine with a double action. They're not the easiest to start on, the single actions ones are good for that.

But practice a bit just one some cardboard first, that'll give you a good idea of how it's going to come out of the airbrush. I do this all the time before each painting job.

The Wave airbrushes are a bit cheaper then the really good ones, but still a good airbrush. Iwata & Harder Steenbeck are the 2 really good ones to look at eventually, not cheap though!!!!.

I think the Wave has an adjustment on the end to limit the amount of movement of the "trigger" and therefore the amount of paint delivered. Have a play with this, it'll give you more control over the spray. Even just playing first with water is a good way to learn how it'll work.

Plus afterward, cleaning is essential, learn how to remove the needle and nozzle and re-assemble them correctly. Cleanliness is super important with airbrushes. It may seem a lot to learn but you'll pick it up very quickly, plus once you see the results you'll be hooked! :D

For cleaning just plain old paint thinners is fine, no need for any of the expensive "special" stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 5:41 PM, trickyrich said:

that should be fine with a double action. They're not the easiest to start on, the single actions ones are good for that.

But practice a bit just one some cardboard first, that'll give you a good idea of how it's going to come out of the airbrush. I do this all the time before each painting job.

The Wave airbrushes are a bit cheaper then the really good ones, but still a good airbrush. Iwata & Harder Steenbeck are the 2 really good ones to look at eventually, not cheap though!!!!.

I think the Wave has an adjustment on the end to limit the amount of movement of the "trigger" and therefore the amount of paint delivered. Have a play with this, it'll give you more control over the spray. Even just playing first with water is a good way to learn how it'll work.

Plus afterward, cleaning is essential, learn how to remove the needle and nozzle and re-assemble them correctly. Cleanliness is super important with airbrushes. It may seem a lot to learn but you'll pick it up very quickly, plus once you see the results you'll be hooked! :D

For cleaning just plain old paint thinners is fine, no need for any of the expensive "special" stuff.

Thanks again Rich, I greatly appreciate you are taking time to pass on your knowledge !!

I did have a play with the airbrush sometime back on some cardboard and an old test kit. Also practiced this morning but to be honest I find it a bit difficult to achieve a good result. Decided I need more practise before I’m fully convinced about all this modern technology 😁

So for this build, I’ll just stick with a good old 🖌️

• Like 1

I’m terrible sorry guys but there will be no blue helicopter in the gallery this time :sad:

Sadly I turned to brush painting the externals, despite knowing I really suck at this. The result is catastrophic and there is just no way I’m going to show this to anyone. It would be a complete waste of time applying the decals on a surface like that :crying:

But despite the obvious disappointment of not reaching the finish line, it has been a great pleasure to be part of the Nordic GB family. A big thanks to @trickyrich and @Col., happy you broke the forum software :goodjob: 

For my next project; two very simple Hasegawa 1/72 battle tanks with minimum assembly and maximum practise on the air brush !!

And just like Ragnar and the other fearless Nordics, I’ll be back for the Nordic II GB in 2021, this time with a paint job as smooth as a baby’s bottom 🚼

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 3

that's a shame Johnny, a chopper would have been nice in the gallery.

But understandable, we've all had those horror builds.

But am glad you joined us and that you had a good enough time to want to do it all again, look forward to seeing you in that build with a bottom smooth build! :D

• Thanks 1

Hopefully you can strip off the existing paint and return to this one after some airbrush practice :) 

• Thanks 1

Alright, so if our great leaders are going to extend this GB with a week (and given that the dates have already changed on the Nordic GB title, I think they have) there is absolutely no excuse for not starting sanding down this helicopter tomorrow after work ... 

I’ll be back !! 

• Like 1