Revell 1/72 C.16 Typhoon - Ejército del Aire

Hi,

Here is a selection of images from my latest completion. This is Revell's 2004 Eurofighter Typhoon in 1/72 (04317), not the new tool. The model is built mainly straight from the box, except I scratch built the intake ducting using plasticard to disguise the opening left by Revell. I also added detail to the kit supplied ejection seat using wine bottle foil and different gauges of wire. I had to create the HUD from scratch as the part including on the clear sprue was crudely moulded. The moulds are showing their age with some flash but once cleaned up most parts look ok. The exception being the engine rear face inside the exhaust pipe as the detail is damaged, fortunately this really cant be seen unless you look closely. The canopy was dipped in AK Interactive Gauzy Agent Glass Coat. I glued the canopy in the closed position before painting so I could fair it in to the fuselage using Deluxe Materials Perfect Putty.
The plastic was primed with Stynylrez grey and painted mainly using Mr Hobby Aqueous. Variations of tone were achieved by adding white to the base colours and randomly mottling the surface. I used Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium as a base for the exhausts, varying the tone by adding other metallics or greys to the paint mix. I chose this scheme from the kit as I thought the Spanish roundels added a splash of colour. Before applying the decals I tried to give the model a glossy surface by spraying Ammo by Mig Lucky gloss varnish. Unfortunately I couldn't get a smooth coverage all over as it just dried on adjacent surfaces with a rough texture. In the end I resorted back to Tamiya X-22 which just about saved the day, although the surface wasn't as smooth as I would like resulting in some silvering to the decals. Tamiya X-22 was used once more to seal in the decals.
Weathering consisted of various enamel panel line washes from Ammo by Mig and their Starship Filth Oilbrusher. I also replaced the sensors under the nose with triangles of thin aluminium as one of the kit parts pinged from my tweezers.

49380861253_8058787318_b.jpg

49381323191_11304eb49d_b.jpg

49381322291_0b2c854ea8_b.jpg

49381323056_0cbd6fbb59_b.jpg

49381518317_20820a7b26_b.jpg

49380861113_6752d9a449_b.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Mark.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2