SAAB VIGGEN

Colin W

On 2/19/2020 at 11:07 PM, Christer A said:

The green looks way to pale to my eyes though but it's a striking job in any case!

I've had another look at this and am happy with the 314 green. Over the black base coat it's darker than from the pot but it might just be the picture. Comparing the model to the pictures I took at Newark, it's very close.

Colin 

• Like 1

nice work Colin with the touchup work, she looks awesome, well done. :thumbsup:

Not the easiest scheme to do but you can now appreciate just how awesome it looks once you're done it! 

Hard stuff is done, now should be a nice simple run to the end.

• Like 1

The Hunter drop tanks are looking more like RB04 Robots now. Rear section is pre-shaded 308 same as the under side colour with the front section in 40 German Grey. I used Bare metal foil on the join. The first time I 've used this on a camouflaged fighter!

The pylon saddles are 'bending '

20200222_161155

I'll stop by at Ikea later to pick up some 'don't press here' stickers. 

Colin 

• Like 9

Spent most of the week working underneath the Viggen. Undercarriages added and support mechanism built in situ. I went with dull aluminium rather than grey.  Main Wheels sanded back to round. They look much better than the kits original proposal. Actuators added to the speed breaks and breaks drilled out (43 holes each). Painted dull red. Vertical fin added last 

20200229_194602

Nose drilled out and blunted needle substituted in for the nose probe. My pylons were too short chord wise so I cut them off and made new ones which were too shallow and the RB04s didn't fit! 3rd version underway here.

Colin 

• Like 8

looks great.

ummmm......... I just noticed something unfortunately. You have the extra actuator fitted the inner flaps. @Christer A can confirm this, but I think only the newer JA-37's had these extra actuators, the AJ (and SH, SF) only had the 3 actuators.

Just looking at instructions for all the Special Hobby AJ's, they all show them fitted, while on the instructions for the Tarangus SH/SF warn you that these are for the JA version only.

Being on the underside with the flaps lowered you won't notice, removing them will ruin the great finish you have on the underside.

Sorry I didn't notice this in the earlier post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

looks great.

ummmm......... I just noticed something unfortunately. You have the extra actuator fitted the inner flaps. @Christer A can confirm this, but I think only the newer JA-37's had these extra actuators, the AJ (and SH, SF) only had the 3 actuators.

Just looking at instructions for all the Special Hobby AJ's, they all show them fitted, while on the instructions for the Tarangus SH/SF warn you that these are for the JA version only

This is correct!

Only JA37 has 4 actuators, all the other ones have 3.

I like the color of the underside though! Impressive finish.

• Like 3

Colin, this is looking most excellent indeed, although as others have pointed out, it looks like a bit of ‘recovery time’ may be in order with that additional JA flap canoe fairing. We’ve all done it mate and I’m sure we’ll all still miss minor instruction steps (that’s if there were any) as long as we continue this hobby. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

nah Dave, the instructions didn't both to tell you not to fit them....I suspect the majority of those building these would have fitted them. All 3 releases by SH tell you to do it, when actually the Tarangus JA is the only one that should use it. A real trap with sprue that have all the different versions on the one sprue.

Never mind, but it is hidden so really it's not a biggie, personally, with such a nice finish like that on the underside I would just leave it alone rather then risk it by doing a correction.

• Thanks 1

Most people will not know. I knew it but I didn't notice it before it was pointed out.

If you can live with it you should probably just leave it as it is. It would be sad to mess up the very nice finish that you have.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. My instructions for the Special Hobby Viggen showed to fit the 4th actuator as Rich notes above. I confess I didn't check and only noticed later on when fitting the RB04s. I decided to carry on since the RB04s will hide them. 

Cheers Colin 

• Like 3

Not so much more work on the top this weekend, overall coat of Future in preparation for the decals. Some panel line wash added. 

20200301_220139

Canopy un masked 

20200301_220410

Colin 

• Like 17

Having a wee break from the Viggen. Looking at the pylons i decided to repaint the RB04S. Centre fuselage now off white and the saddle added painted brown and black. Nose still needs to be grey. The pylon shoes are made from 4mm square rod with the front silver part rounded in a drill.

The tank is from the kit!

20200302_072234

Colin 

• Like 13

On 3/1/2020 at 2:47 PM, trickyrich said:

nah Dave, the instructions didn't both to tell you not to fit them....I suspect the majority of those building these would have fitted them. All 3 releases by SH tell you to do it, when actually the Tarangus JA is the only one that should use it. A real trap with sprue that have all the different versions on the one sprue.

Never mind, but it is hidden so really it's not a biggie, personally, with such a nice finish like that on the underside I would just leave it alone rather then risk it by doing a correction.

I'm going to try to remember to go and mark up the instructions on my kits tonight...as I'm likely to forget all about this when I finally drag them out.

• Like 2