SAAB VIGGEN

Colin W

15 hours ago, exdraken said:

Tje 05 looks a bit long/thin to me.. maybe wrong though

Yes i would agree that the RB05 is a bit thin. It looked OK on the pylon but thanks to Reini its obsolete so no issue. 

My current plan is to paint the RB04 in the same underside colour but the front part in the NATO black as per the upper surface. Can anyone confirm this? 

Swedish Sidewinders also seem to be using the same scheme. 

Thanks Colin 

Oooo I've seen that photo before!! :D

Nice work Colin, just been catching up on all your progress, great work!! :thumbsup:

I used Maestro's Robots on mine, they come with that nice saddle mount which I didn't know about before i got them. It would be quite a simple job the make them up from scratch

Thanks Christer, great picture. I was not aware of the saddle so this is helpful and quite easy to do. This picture shows a different type of pylon to the drawings I have been using so I'll change these once the undercarriage is fitted and I can get the ground clearance correct. 

Does anyone know what 'TRYCK ED HAR, means? Google translate says 'print ed has' which seems unlikely! Inert might be more appropriate? 

Colin 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:48 AM, Christer A said:

Which Sidewinder version will you use?

My plan is to use some AIM-9B from the spares box

Thanks for the transition Orso

Colin 

• Like 1

More work on the main airframe now completed and the underside colour done.  Mr Colour 308 over 137 preshading.

20200214_185805

Enough of the fun, now time to start masking. 

Colin 

• Like 9

Painting started with the black base. How about a sinister black Elint Viggen? I used Mr Colour 40 German Grey rather than the planned 137 which is more grey. 

20200215_223336

More masking today. 

Colin 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Well, a major effort yesterday to tackle the upper surface camouflage. I didn't plan to do this with one go but once started I got the rhythm. Also after every coat of paint it got harder to see what was masked and what was still to paint. I feared that once I stopped it would be harder to get going again. 

Paint is Mr Colour 40 black, 310 brown,  314 light green and 319 dark green. These paints dry very quickly and can be masked after 30 minutes. 

Here's stage 2 black and brown applied and  masked. 

20200216_215447

Overall green? Maybe not. 

20200216_193232

Finally ripped all the tape off late last night. 

20200216_221254

20200216_221237

There are a few parts in need of a bit of touching up where the masking tape didn't quite join but no overspray. Overall I'm very pleased with the result. 

Note I didn't fit the lower fin but did add the pylons before painting. This helped to make it sit flat on the bench when adding all the masking tape. HTH

Colin 

• Like 14

Hi Colin,

That looks great. I did think the right hand canard looked like you had missed at least one of the colours, but checking my references I see that you have got it right - even though it does look a bit odd.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterB said:

I see that you have got it right - even though it does look a bit odd.

Thanks Peter. I agree the starboard canard has no brown on the top and so looks a big odd. Also the scheme in the instructions shows the starboard intake painted silver or natural metal. Not much help! 

Colin 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Thanks Peter. I agree the starboard canard has no brown on the top and so looks a big odd. Also the scheme in the instructions shows the starboard intake painted silver or natural metal. Not much help! 

Colin 

Your camo really looks great!

I think I read somewhere in the instructions that the intake was a unpainted replacement part. So you can either do that or leave it camouflaged. 

Alex

• Like 1

great work on the splinter Colin, getting the patten down and looking right is the hardest part. Now you have a pattern on the aircraft the touch up work is just simple little masking tasks. Just do them in small batches, it'll take a bit longer but it'll work out much better in the end. Guaranteed you'll be super chuffed with the results in the end.

Well done on what you've done so far mate! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Wow that looks really great Colin. Congrats. 

A Viggen in camo is a wonderful and special thing isn’t it.

Inspiring stuff.
Damn I really want to get back of holiday to get on with my build i have such itchy fingers (Don’t tell SWMBO)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, Orso said:

TRYCK EJ HÄR = Don't press here

So that’s what it means, I saw that wording on IKEA’s new range of woman’s sports bras!! 

Great job on the masking Colin. One to be very proud of.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

Hi Chaps, thanks for the comments. 

Here's the 1/48 drawing i used to make the masking. Looks like a great winter scheme! Did the Swedes have winter schemes like the RAF Jaguars?

20200222_101634

This weekend I tidied up the camouflage and painted the intakes a mix of med grey and silver. Radome is in 125 anti glare as are the fin tip and probes on the leading edge. 

20200222_161128

Then I added the main and nose undercarriage units.

20200222_205342

Always looks better on its legs. 

Colin 

• Like 8