SAAB VIGGEN

Colin W

Hence the reason for the Upgrade set

1108AB3A-AD32-4723-8898-281621290919_img

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/saab-37-viggen-upgrade-set.html?listtype=search&searchparam=viggen

For a while you could get it for free, and now it should be included in the newer boxings, but that is something that needs to be checked.

• Like 1

Cheers Chris, 

Part  of the price of living in paradise I'm afraid. When I bought the kit it was a new release and obviously i missed the opportunity for an upgrade. It's E5 now but not easy to get to Thailand. Our post has opportunities to improve. 

No problem as I'll get there in the end. This model will succeed on the painting not the amount of resin. 

Colin 

• Like 2

Well I wasn't expecting to get here just yet but with the wing done and fuselage closed I just put the 2 together. There was a hearty 'click' and suddenly job done. She looks a  bit odd but with the fin and canards will be more familiar. 

20200202_210128

Might not need filler on the actual kit,  reserved for the flap mods 

Colin 

• Like 8

Well a change in action. Canards added with dropped flaps. A bit of filler need in a lot of places, especially where the vents were added as the recessed positions are generally too big. Inner pylons reshaped. 

I'mstill procrastinating whether the fin should be vertical or folded....

20200210_114543

Colin 

• Like 10

Again, my eyes wander to the background - are you building RB04's or what is happening?

Folded fin would be kinda nice - but kit doesn't come with the inner details, right? I think CMK sells a folded fin kit If scratchbuilding is not an option.

• Like 1

Dave you are doing a great job. There are more Viggens in this Group build than I've ever seen before. 

Rei

18 hours ago, reini said:

Again, my eyes wander to the background - are you building RB04's or what is happening?

Reini you are correct. 2 x RB04 being built from a pair of Hunter drop tanks. Well spotted, 

More later. 

Colin 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Colin W said:

Reini you are correct. 2 x RB04 being built from a pair of Hunter drop tanks. Well spotted, 

That'll be interesting to see, thy are a really basic shape so it shouldn't be hard to make your own.

I ment a Viggen in't a Viggen without a couple of big-bottom robots under the wings! :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I ment a Viggen in't a Viggen without a couple of big-bottom robots under the wings! :D

Indeed, here are my 2x RB04 anti ship Robots and a RB05 air to surface. 

20200211_222557

Still a set of rear fins for the RB05 but quite pleased with these

Colin 

• Like 11

Hi Colin,

They look great - saves spending megabucks of the Maestro ones. Not sure if they used similar pylons to the ones on the Lansen.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Colin W said:

Indeed, here are my 2x RB04 anti ship Robots and a RB05 air to surface. 

Still a set of rear fins for the RB05 but quite pleased with these

Colin 

That is a splendid job! Looks really good.

Just a note though, Viggen was not able to deploy multiple different types of air to ground weapon types on a mission - single weapon choice was configured on the ground. So Rb04 + Rb05 is not viable configuration - except only for ferry flights. Only exceptions for this are the AA-missiles and Akan gun pods that could be used together with Rb75's or Rb05's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, reini said:

So Rb04 + Rb05 is not viable configuration - except only for ferry flights. Only exceptions for this are the AA-missiles and Akan gun pods that could be used together with Rb75's or Rb05's.

Thanks for the comments Reini. I guess that's goodbye to the RB05. I've added the pylons now so need other ordinance if the 05s aren't suitable. The Viggen in Newark is displayed next to a Skyflash AAM. Would these be carried with the RB04?

Thanks Colin 

• Like 1

Cracking on with this because most of us will be 'in the navy ' by Saturday. 

Windscreen added after a couple of dips in Future. Lower Dive breaks drilled out. There are 43 holes in each side. I used a 0.3mm drill. This might have been more suitable for PE. The wheels and tyres are emaciated from the box but the way Special Hobby have cast them makes it easy to modify. I added a disc of 0.040 plastic card into each so they look much better. 

20200212_170522

The Robots are progressing with a base coat of Mr Surfacer. 

20200212_170622

Colin 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Thanks for the comments Reini. I guess that's goodbye to the RB05. I've added the pylons now so need other ordinance if the 05s aren't suitable. The Viggen in Newark is displayed next to a Skyflash AAM. Would these be carried with the RB04?

Thanks Colin 

No, it could only be used by the JA fighter Viggen. But Sidewinders would fit the AJ attack Viggen nicely, like here:

viggen_12.jpg

That is the RBS-15F that replaced Rb04 on the wings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1