Ju87B-1 WNr 5167 (Airfix 1/72) - The golf course Stuka - Finished!

Ed Russell

My plan is to build Ju 87B-1 S2+JN from 5/III./StG 77(WNr 5167) from the new-ish Airfix kit. It will be pretty much out-of-the-box.

Often referred to as ‘the golf-course Stuka’ it has a good back-story. 5167 was one of 100+ Stukas tasked on 18 August 1940 with the bombing of airfields in Sussex and attacking the radar station at Poling. Hurricanes from 43 and 601 Squadrons downed many of the airfield attackers but the radar station was damaged severely before fighters could intervene. The Stukas were attacked on the way home and one of the casualties was 5167.

It must have suffered just an unlucky hit from a Spitfire of 602 Sqn as the pilot Oberfeldwebel Kurt Schweinhardt, managed to force land it on Ham Manor Golf Course to the west of the village of Angmering. He was taken prisoner but his Bordfunker, Oberfeldwebel Willi Geiger died of his wounds at the scene. This is variously reported as wounds sustained in air combat or are said to have been the result of being shot by the Home Guard when he started to fire his pistol at them.

49388350498_b15d9b0813_b.jpg

There is a 1/48 build of what purports to be 5167 on the internet.

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/ju87b2cw_1.htm

While it is a lovely piece of modelling, it has a few inaccuracies. It is a B-2 and 5167 was a B-1, the code and the Staffel emblem are those of 2/StG77 and thus incorrect. However, still a nice build.

There’s no need to show the preliminaries as the kit has been well illustrated not least, here by @jean. I share his opinion of the kit – it is very nice! There is some discussion about how early Junkers changed from RLM02 interiors to RLM66. I have gone with 02 and done the control boxes etc in 66.

49388350458_2052b52044_b.jpg[

I used ModelMaster 02 and the photo above is not a very good representation of the actual colour - blame the flash!

• Like 10

Hi Ed,

great kit indeed.

To be honest, I cannot see the RLM 02, and I thought the plastic was still unpainted...

Would that mean that the ModelMaster 02 is the same color as the plastic?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

11 hours ago, jean said:

Would that mean that the ModelMaster 02 is the same color as the plastic?

No. it matches the colour chip in the Merrick book. It's just the flash. Here's a better pic (but I have closed up the fuselage)

49391234713_988d2e0518_b.jpg

It's a good fit so far......... you need to make sure you don't get paint on mating surfaces.

49391909137_19ff39ff78_b.jpg

The clothespeg and black clamp are holding the joint and the red one just makes sure the fuselage halves don't split.

• Like 7

Steady progress is being made'....

49407266608_6f3ece8fd3_b.jpg

Engine cowling just test fitted here.

So far, I am impressed with the quality of the fit and engineering. It goes together very nicely and will need very little, if any, filler. I have a few of these and I'm looking forward to building more - maybe not in this GB though.

Some decisions to be made - I think I can see underwing racks so the smaller central bomb cradle is appropriate, but I can't see the siren, or even the blanked off siren module, despite it being a fairly early build.

This build will continue easily I think - I have ordered the 5./StG77 badge from my decal designer!

• Like 6

• Ed Russell changed the title to Ju87B-1 WNr 5167 (Airfix 1/72) - The golf course Stuka

Further history - the Home Guard mounted a protective cordon around it as can be seen from the photo at the top. As it was so complete the Air Ministry planned to examine it. However the  Home Guard all disappeared at dinner time and the souvenir hunters moved it. It was apparently so  thoroughly vandalised there was nothing much left to examine and it was burnt in-situ. There are apparently some parts in a local museum including an undercarriage leg and spat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Almost ready for some paint.

49479938011_189ab93e27_k.jpg[/url]

I will attach and mask the canopy first and give the whole thing a good clean.

Like others I am wondering how to paint the exhausts. These would have been easier if they had attached from the outside. I think a freehand fine brush is probably the answer.

Those flats on the tyres are excessive but fortunately can be hidden. I usually have to re-inflate Airfix tyres so the plane can take off!

49480157812_a28fd2b0ca_k.jpg

• Like 6

They are quite nice OOB. I did use Eduard seat belts and the plain Airfix seat. I had a fair bit of trouble getting the frame and radios etc, which fit behind seat, in position (not shown on pic above). I would add this part before closing the sides if I had to do it again.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 4:35 AM, Ed Russell said:

Further history - the Home Guard mounted a protective cordon around it as can be seen from the photo at the top. As it was so complete the Air Ministry planned to examine it. However the  Home Guard all disappeared at dinner time and the souvenir hunters moved it. It was apparently so  thoroughly vandalised there was nothing much left to examine and it was burnt in-situ. There are apparently some parts in a local museum including an undercarriage leg and spat.

Sounds like an episode from Dad's Army 😆

I bet the patrons of the Golf Club were not amused! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

The canopy has been masked and a few small jobs done. I was able to compare the Czech Eduard mask with the Polish P-mask. They both work okay. The Eduard one came without instructions which was a bit painful but I had already done the P-mask so I figured it out. I did later find another Eduard set with instructions so mine must have been a rare QC failure.

The Eduard masks are not easy to see until you lift them and some corners needed unrolling after they bunched up. However the fit was good and they should work okay.

49546651336_d24ce38eed_b.jpg

The rear opening is masked with a piece of foam as I didn't want to install it yet.

• Like 2

We have finished the basic painting and are ready for decals

49663234693_216b5268c3_c.jpg

The Airfix decals look good. A swastika from the decal bank. I have not cut out the stencils as it's easier to cut them, locate them and stick them in one operation - otherwise it's too confusing.

49663234653_8f63093fff_b.jpg

Like on  my other build I have incorrectly printed the WNr in black not white and I have forgotten the black J under each wing. Another print run needed.

49664055207_09ed6fd4f4_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking good here as most of the decals are on - just waiting for the 5./StG77 badge. A minor disagreement between the builder and the decal designer as to whether 5./StG77's emblem was a cat or a rabbit! They were (later?) the Panther Staffel so I reckon it's a cat.

49718782018_2ae3e1ce8a_b.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

emblem was a cat or a rabbit!

Hi Ed,

Well this could be anything - a dog, a cow!

Junkers-Ju-87B1-Stuka-5.StG77-showing-the-early-emblem-version-01

Full image at:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-87/StG77.2/pages/Junkers-Ju-87B1-Stuka-5.StG77-showing-the-early-emblem-version-01.html