1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I (new tool), 19 Squadron Operation Dynamo

The Spitfire is complete! This is the new tool 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk. I. The first completion for 2020, let's hope I can keep up with this pace! Just over four weeks from start to finish. Some oils, exhaust stain and a few water colour pencil marks. I haven't enjoyed a build like this one in a long time.

The weathering was kept to a minimum as N3200 only flew once due to it being shot down and crashing on a beach of which the photos are well known.

It flies again nowadays.

Hope you like it.

Cheers, 

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and a moody one.

spacer.png

• Like 67
  • Thanks 1

That's lovely - so much better than my effort at the same kit & scheme. Maybe I need to have another crack 🤦‍♂️

Beautiful work – that's the way I love to see a Spitfire!

You have been a bit overambitious with the IFF wires, though. There was no IFF* until the autumn of 1940, definitely not on 26th of May. 😉

And a parked Spitfire invariably droops its elevators (unless a stick locking bar is installed, which is rarely seen).

Superb model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

* http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JasonC said:

Superb. Nice work Mick.

Thanks Jason.

13 hours ago, Barbouille said:

Awesome !

Thanks Barbouille.

13 hours ago, Dunny said:

That's lovely - so much better than my effort at the same kit & scheme. Maybe I need to have another crack 🤦‍♂️

Thanks Dunny. I'd happily build a second one of these. Go for it, great name by the way.

12 hours ago, djos said:

BEAUTIFUL spitfire.

Even i like to see them in very used condition, looks great in this presentation, sharp and clean.

Best regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje. It didn't even complete it's first mission so the weathering has been kept fairly minimal. I'd love to get into a Spitfire that has some service use...lots of opportunities there.

12 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

It’s a lovely kit and you did a lovely job - very nice finish - well done 👍 

Thanks Kitchen.

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful work – that's the way I love to see a Spitfire!

You have been a bit overambitious with the IFF wires, though. There was no IFF* until the autumn of 1940, definitely not on 26th of May. 😉

And a parked Spitfire invariably droops its elevators (unless a stick locking bar is installed, which is rarely seen).

Superb model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

* http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Thanks Joachim.

There's no over ambitiousness here and I'm no Spitfire officianado either so it was built straight from the cardboard. The wires are on the camo plans so I'll leave them.

I'm sure they do drop their flaps when parked but that isn't an option in the kit unless you want to go the AM route etc. which I had no intention of pursuing. Another time perhaps?

Mick

11 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Love it , just perfect ,   :worthy:

Thanks Keith!

9 hours ago, KingTiger435 said:

great job! the tooling on that spit looks fantastic.

Were the seatbelts aftermarket? If they were mind sharing the brand?:winkgrin:

Thanks King. The seat belts come with the kit as well as a bunch of other etch parts including rudder bar straps, mesh grills, hinge plates and the triangular base for the wire on the antenna mast.

9 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Fabulous build and finish, I am in awe!

Wulfman

Cheers Wulfman.

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

Pretty and neat. I like it a lot. 

- Bill

Thanks Bill.

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

What an superb model. Excellent finishing.

Thanks Vinnie.

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Thanks RMCS.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

There's no over ambitiousness here and I'm no Spitfire officianado either so it was built straight from the cardboard. The wires are on the camo plans so I'll leave them.

I'm sure they do drop their flaps when parked but that isn't an option in the kit unless you want to go the AM route etc. which I had no intention of pursuing. Another time perhaps?

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thank you for the feedback! I didn't mention "flaps". On a Spit, the underwing flaps are only deployed during landing and retracted immediately after the wheels are on the ground, since they interfere with the airflow through the radiators and can cause engine overheating during taxying. You'll practically never see a parked Spit with the flaps lowered.

But if you re-read my post, you'll see that I was referring to the elevators (the horisontal 'tail rudders'). Looking at photos of parked Spitfires, you'll notice that they invariably droop – it's a very typical feature of the Spitfire.

Kind regards,

Joachim

4 hours ago, Robert_ said:

Oh that’s a nice clean Spit. You made mine look like rubbish so I’m disappointed with you there haha. Well done, thanks for sharing. 

Don't say that Robert! Use it for some inspiration perhaps? Glad you like it though.