Airfix BF-109-G 1/72

Hi folks,

Just a quick build I completed of this Airfix kit. Bought as a gift from a friend, it was a very simple build but took a lot longer to paint. I did struggle with the dappled effect on the sides (need some more free-hand practice!) but thankfully the transfers cover a lot of it. Also the yellow (intake?) bits on the top of the fuselage which weren't well defined on the model, so I left out that bit. Then just added some minimal weathering with some powders. Any C&C appreciated!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

Turned out very nice. The main flaw with the Airfix kit is, as you discovered, the bulges in the fuselage just ahead of the cockpit. These aren't intakes. They are bulges covering the breeches of the twin nose guns.

• Like 1

Very nice build, but the bulge is completely incorrect, it should not meet in the middle but should be

two separate bulges. This is a very bad mistake by Airfix and has caught out many modellers.

Wulfman

• Like 1

A much nicer build than this kit is worthy of. In fact, the entire kit is a very bad mistake by Airfix. 😉

The yellow 'stickers' on the MG 131 bulges are supposed to look like eyes, I think.

I suppose your photos are stored on Google Photo? I can only see grey rectangles with the text: spacer.png on Mac and Firefox. However, I can get the excellent photos by right-clicking on a rectangle and selecting 'show image'.

Nice work, but maybe select another photo site in the future.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Beautiful effort on what is really a pig of a kit. You've done a great job of it. I take it this was brush painted?

I built one a while ago, and while I wouldn't build one again if I wanted an accurate model, it was a fun build. Simplicity is about the only thing going for that kit, and it does look like a 109 so long as it's not next to any other 109s. 

Airfix should put this kit in their starter sets rather than the other, significantly better but more fiddly Emil, in fact most of the early new toolings would be good starter sets because of the lack of complexity (the Spitfire PRXIX is another good one)

• Like 1

Hey folks - many thanks for the kind comments! I suppose I was kind of in a place of not knowing any different (this is my 3rd kit that I've completed) so wasn't aware it isn't as good as kit as some others!- I know its not on the level of the Hasegawa Flanker that I made, but assumed it was a) because that was much bigger and b) think this cost a lot less!

@Adam Poultney this was a mix of airbrush and hand painted. Most of the camo pattern was airbrushed, but I really struggled with the dappled camo on the sides and tried to hand paint some in (think in the end thankfully a lot of it ended up being covered by transfers!)

@Spitfire31 - Many thanks - noted! I think I linked these directly from Twitter. I will upload to a photo site in future. 

Many thanks again for the comments!

On 1/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, Filbert_Wang said:

Most of the camo pattern was airbrushed, but I really struggled with the dappled camo on the sides..

Have you tried dry brushing? Use an old brush, preferably sable hair so it has some spring in the bristles. Rub most of the paint off on a tissue and then wiggle it about on the model. You can build up quite a convincing mottle that way. Just be sure to start with hardly any paint on the brush.

I used that method a lot in the days before I got an airbrush, and it can still be effective on small scale models.

• Like 1