Ilmavoimat Fokker F27-400M, FF-3

Romeo Alpha Yankee

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Bit small for you Ray, compared with all your other large projects multiple C130s etc. Is it 1/32 scale ? 😉

cheers Pat 

Certainly is Pat, but it is the biggest aircraft in the Ilmavoimat fleet I could find (or was). I don't do 1/32! :D

Now if they had replaced their F-27s with A400Ms I would have been more happy!  Hmmm, I think a What If is in order!

• Haha 1

welcome aboard Ray and what an interesting choice, I don't think we'll see many of these in the build.

I don't know about Pat and his 1/32nd, but even in 1/72nd this will be a fairly large model, but will look great.

Then once you've done that one you could do it's replacement, the CASA C-295. I've even found the right model for you as well. :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/broplan-ms-113-eads-casa-c-295m--204824

anyway, good luck with the build, look forward to following the progress.

• Like 1

Great to see a F-27 being built and those Finnish colours do suit this classic bird big time. Will look forward to seeing which kit you end up building, although I’ve read that Esci’s effort may not be the most accurate - not that I’d know in what way?

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Ray and what an interesting choice, I don't think we'll see many of these in the build.

I don't know about Pat and his 1/32nd, but even in 1/72nd this will be a fairly large model, but will look great.

Then once you've done that one you could do it's replacement, the CASA C-295. I've even found the right model for you as well. :D

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/broplan-ms-113-eads-casa-c-295m--204824

anyway, good luck with the build, look forward to following the progress.

Thanks Rich, you are so kind with your recommendations, I have a couple of Broplan kits in the stash and know what I would be up against. I would like to get a C-295 kit one day though. A Turkish company (name escapes me at the moment) has the C-295 on the to do list as an injected kit one day.

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great to see a F-27 being built and those Finnish colours do suit this classic bird big time. Will look forward to seeing which kit you end up building, although I’ve read that Esci’s effort may not be the most accurate - not that I’d know in what way?

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Yes Dave, the Esci kit has a lot of issues, engine nacelle location and rear fuselage to name the glaring ones. It is the only one that comes with the large cargo doors for the Troopship. I will see how I go. Airfix could win in the end.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ray🙂

I would choose the Airfix kit although there is plenty to do before it looks good. Both kits lack for example that visible step running along lower fuselage sides. Airfix got the wing anhedral/dihedral wrong (the wing poits downwards between fuselage and engine and upwards outside the engine pylon). Also the fin and dorsal fillet require some cutting and scratch building. Fillet is too small (by half) and the fin leading edge is too swept.

Here are few photos of FF-3. Just to bring up your appetite😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our squadron CO got shy and quickly hid himself behind the bulkhead... There is that bird which hides its head in the sand and thinks that he is safe. Something similar in here😁

spacer.png

Note that green colour on the floor edges. Actually the whole floor was originally painted with it, but it has worn away from the center aisle. I used Humbrol 88 (Deck Green) and a satin varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

MLG Bay looking forward. Note the fiber glass roof and that peculiar metallic turquoise overall colour. It is paint although it doesn't look like paint.

I will check whether I can find some WIP photos of my FF-1 and post them as well.

Stay Safe!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't find those WIP photos on my computers, so I had to "steal" them from a Finnish modeling site...

spacer.png

Here is the Airfix fuselage after some TLC. The fillet and fin has been reshaped. That "step" I mentioned was created by attaching styrene strips on the fuselage and then blend it all in with Milliput. At this point the flat is still waiting for to be reshaped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"A most secret airplane"; so secret that I asked the squadron whether I can publish this photo. After some two weeks CO answered me and said: "Well go on then, publish it". And he added laughing that because the model is so inaccurate HQ showed green light. Of course I was pretty upset (I had spent some 400 hours on the project) and boss noticed it. Still laughing he said: "It looks way too clean, that's why it is very inaccurate". Actually they had had quite an "interesting" meeting at the HQ where my boss was questioned thoroughly; how come this guy had built such an accurate model, where did he get measurements for the antennas and their exact locations and so on. They refused to believe that I had only three photos of the real thing. I never mentioned -not even to squadron CO- that I had taken one of those photos myself. Photographing a secret of this magnitude was and still is a big "No-No" (prohibited by the Finnish law.

When this model was on display, we had to place a placard on the cabinet wall prohibiting photography of this particular model. As you can imagine the crowd was pretty amused...

spacer.png

These photos make a trick as the "Very Dark Drab" looks like blue-gray...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh, this F-27!

Again excellent images @Antti_K and thanks for sharing. I was going to ask which colours did you use for the build?

I am still thinking about starting this one when the PC-12 is finished. I am aware of a lot of the Esci and Airfix kit's issues, I have a part started Airfix one siting in my display case waiting for some attention.

• Like 1

You are welcome Ray🙂

I used Humbrol enamels.

Light grey: Hu 147

Light Bronze Green: my own mixture of Hu 80, Hu 100 and Hu 93 (IIRC)

Very Dark Drab: my own mixture of at least Hu 108 and Revell 45 (again IIRC)

Paints used on FF-1 look like those BAe originally used on Finnish AF Hawks. For example on FF-3 Light Bronze Green is much more "brighter" than on FF-1 and Very Dark Drab is "duller".

Cheers,

Antti

-

• Like 1