Eduard Mig-21MF, Angola, 1976, Cuban piloted...1/72nd scale...

No WiP for this one folks...but I think this is my first finished kit of 2020!  Eduard's lovely Mig-21MF from their Dual Combo box.  It is the aircraft flown in Angola during 1976 by Cuban General Rafael del Pino.  

I tell you, I have been putting this off for so long.  The thought of this kit scared me.  Over a year I balked.  Result?  It's a wonderful kit, very tight fit tolerances and more stencils than you can shake a stick at.  I mean, really, guys...crazy amount of stencilling, but I managed to get 95% of them on and where they should be.  

All the paints are Vallejo Air or Vallejo Model.  OOB completely.  I pin washed with black/brown oils and I am happier with this than Flory Wash.  Sometimes the Flory just seems too 'dirt-like', know what I mean?  

I learned a lot about this kit, as a whole, since this is, more or less,  just like all the other Mig-21 kits Eduard will make. For me, I will skip the PE and the resin seat in the future.  I had a heck of a time getting the cockpit all together with the PE, the resin, etc...and with a closed canopy, you can't see it anyway.  Next one will be all plastic and decals.  Much easier.  In any case, if you haven't built one of these Migs, you must.  It's on the same scale of detail and fit as their Spitfire range.  Very nice indeed!  

On a different note, I forget what a small aircraft the Mig-21 really is.  Much smaller than the -15/-17...certainly more elegant that the -19.  Sleek, a little dart.  And compared to the US aircraft?  Miniature...

Here's some pictures...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png     spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here's a bit of a pile of Migs. And it is destined to just get bigger.  2 of the new Airfix Mig-17 kits are coming and a KoPro Mig-19 as well.  

Next up for me will be the Finnish KoPro Mig-21Bis.   Look like a decent kit and the roundels are in register.

spacer.png

--Happy modelling and Happy 2020!

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Great to see another MiG obsessive's stash too 

It's a hobby...! Thanks! 😀

8 hours ago, RMCS said:

Niiiice

Thanks RMCS

7 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Nice job

Thank you.  It's good to get over the fear.

50 minutes ago, Massimo said:

What next?

Many thanks Massimo!  I am off-island for a couple of days and when I return on Saturday I think I will start in on my Stuka for the Stuka GB.  While paint/glue, etc...is drying, I should begin my Uruguayan Mustang for that GB.  If (and only if)  I can shuffle the space around enough, I will begin work on a KoPro Mig-21bis in Finnish livery.

That is a lot of building for such a small space...

spacer.png

--John

45 minutes ago, reini said:

Nordic GB is starting soon...

Aha!  I forget the date for that.  I should save it...

I checked...it begins this weekend...

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Please join the Nordic GB, we want to see more!

Thanks!  I will, with another Mig...at least!  I may go on a Finn bender...😋  

By the way...why green?  The overall colour is Vallejo Air Portland Stone and Light Green for the camo. It must be the light I used to photograph...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks!  I will, with another Mig...at least!  I may go on a Finn bender...😋  

By the way...why green?  The overall colour is Vallejo Air Portland Stone and Light Green for the camo. It must be the light I used to photograph...

Nice Mig.  I have 1/48 decals for the Angolan Mig (340) that the South Africans during the Angolan War by the South Africans in 1988.  I just read it was returned to Angola in 2017.

Very interested in what Vallejo colours you used, thanks for posting that!

Great build!!

Just reading the "Africa@War" books on Angola. Deciding if I should build a Mig 21. Decision made I think after viewing yours! I assume the decals came with the kit, correct? I love these kind of esoteric builds.

Paul

P.S. - have a Mig 23 with Angolan markings in the plans. Just need to source the decals. Cheers!

On 1/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

Sometimes the Flory just seems too 'dirt-like', know what I mean?  

Very nice, John. I use Flory because, as far as I know, as an enamels users it is the only option, pretty much. I’d love to find an alternative, though.

Martin

On 1/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, djos said:

Never enough MIG-s, one of maybe most colorful aircraft during usage in many countries.

Very nice build and finish

Regards Djordje 

Colourful MiG-21s? Go Mali ;). Generally, for MiGs, the Ugandans were pretty out there! ;)

Edited by RidgeRunner

10 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Those colours were fairly standard for the export MiG-21MFs to Africa and Middle East, although the actual pattern varied quite a bit.

Praise where its due, mate. Africa MiG-21s had a variety of schemes, particularly if overhauled outside the Soviet Union. Examples that spring to mind are Libya and Mali.

Martin